Ravenloft Reanimated: Fan-Made D&D

Coordinating community projects
WolfKook
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by WolfKook »

What follows is my review of the domains in the Evaluation Form 1. This is entirely my opinion, and I'm interested in seeing what others think about those domains:

Agonia
Dargon Blackburn is an interesting character, but not enough to justify an entire domain built around him. Apart from the idea on truenames, which could be further explored in RL, the domain lacks any distinctive features that make it stand out from the existing domains.
Eligibility: 1 out of 5

Farelle
Could be included, but somehow Jack Karn competes with Harkon Lukas, and Lukas definitely wins. Besides, Farelle's fast cultural and physical expansion represents a potential problem in the campaign.
Eligibility: 2 out of 5

Hibernate
A vampire, an aristocrat, a demon cultist and a high-class prostitute, Elizabeth just seems to be all over the place, with no consistent personality or backstory. The exploration of sex and its horror seems interesting, but again, Elizabeth isn't centered enough about that to make the domain consistent.

Solanica
A domain where everybody's wealthy or can get a lot of money easily would certainly create an unbalance in the power structure of the entire setting. The domain's inclusion is dangerous for the campaign.

Virisa
The first domain I would really consider for inclusion, though I'd work somehow in the darklord's backstory before doing so. Something has to be made to keep Lord Willem from being compared to Vlad Drakov. Perhaps he could be made into a Ghoul Lord?
Eligibility: 4 out of 5
"The road of excess leads to the palace of wisdom"
William Blake
NykylaiHellray
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by NykylaiHellray »

Agonia
I like the secret names, and the darklord is interesting. But at the same time some of the ideas dont seem that scary. I would suggest this becomes more of a pocket domain within a larger domain. The story is simple, which I believe is its main flaw.

Farelle
Though I like the theme of extremes, though I feel it seems all to similar. I believe the speed of advancement may not be a hinderance, though the tinker aspect of Jack and some of the technolgical aspects does not seem to be mentioned much, so I dont feel I can really give a good comment on that.

Maybe if the similarities to Harkon were downplayed, it could be an interesting pocket domain which focuses on exportation on its rich crops, with maybe links to the shining bay cluster and its kin.

Hibernate
Right where to start with this place. First I like the use of sex as a means to control the domain. The idea of both the upper and lower classes are controlled by a group of cortisans, who manipulate and control the domain to there advantage is original in some ways.

A place where men believe they are in charge but its Elizabeth who holds power due to sating there perversions through her call girls.

Where the domain falls flat is the mix of to many evils. You have demons, vampires, the rich. So many big dark words that the nice idea that lies underneath becomes lost.

The vampire prostitutes scream "dead by dawn" to me, and in all honesty thats not a good thing.

The use of a big bad demon god also doesnt make it better.

Remove the extra "bits" and this domain has a very nice foundation. but until thats done I will say:

Solanica
Not much to say about it, it just doesnt appeal to me.
Eligibility: 0 out of 5

Virisa
I really like this domain. From the disciples, to the laws, and to the great feasts. It invokes many dark ideas, and seems to have a wealth of ways to create inventive campaigns.

Though I agree on the points wolfkook made, but I believe this can easily be fixed.

Eligibility: 4 out of 5
[quote="Kelliack"] It is the lost coin of the gods when they first flipped to see who would get which portfolio.[/quote]
WolfKook
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by WolfKook »

My proposal:

Al-Kathos, from the Gryphon Hill Geographical Society website.
Arkandale, from the Lonesome Road website.
Fairhaven, from Quoth the Raven 15.
The Isle of Ravens, from Quoth the Raven 11.
Kor, from Alanik Ray's Library website.
Mictlan, from the Book of Sorrows.
Monte Mal, from the Monte Mal Gazetteer.
Nueva Aragona, from the Undead Sea Scrolls, 2001.
Nzari, from the Undead Sea Scrolls, 2003.
Sanzhou Grove, from Nebula Obscura, Worlds of Ravenloft.

Plus either Carcharodon Island (BoSou) or Nedragonne (QtR9) (Both great domains, but they just step on each other's toes), and one among Farelle (BoSac), Huninfjord (N:WoR), Ukhu Pacha (NO:WoR) and Virisa (ARL)

Hope to hear opinions from anyone.
"The road of excess leads to the palace of wisdom"
William Blake