Mist-pact Warlocks (powers needed)

Coordinating community projects
Jester of the FoS
Jester of the Dark Comedy

Post by Jester of the FoS »

Brief power ideas:

* Ices ground, creates zone. Attacks Ref of anyone who enters knocking them prone.

* Blinds enemy with Mist

* Saps will to fight. Penalty to attacks and Will.

* Teleport enemy straight up. They take falling damage (still 1d6/10 ft IIRC).

* Death Knell. Damaging attack. If it drops target to 0hp adjacent enemies take thundering (or psychic, or both) damage.

* Utility power. Teleport # squares. If prone you also teleport onto your feet.

* Limbs bound by Mist, held immobilized. (or immob on miss, stunned with hit. possibly still immobed as aftereffect)

* Spirit walk. Gain phasing and insubstantial keywords until the start of your next turn.

* Soul crush. Burst, weakens cursed enemies and they take extra damage (gain vulnerable 5 all?)

* Mistnapped. Create wall/zone of mist. Anyone who enters an affected square exits from a random square

* Mist walk. Teleport # squares but leave mistform afterimage that deals cold damage if attacked.

* Weaken the bond. Targets undead; weakens and deals damage. Mebbe penalty to saves.

* L9 daily -> high damage that ignores all resistances

* Become insubstantial and shift # squares. If you move through an enemy's square they cannot attack you but your passage hurts them.

* Life leaching. Does ongoing (necrotic?) damage to enemy and heals you the same.
DoctorMoreau
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Post by DoctorMoreau »

I have to say, I love the mistnapped concept.

But I'm brain fried at the moment, so I'm not feeling very creative.

I'll be back though.
Tyger! Tyger! burning bright
In the forests of the night,
What immortal hand or eye
Could frame thy fearful symmetry?
A G Thing
Evil Genius
Evil Genius
Location: Currently the Frozen Wastes of Mount Pleasant Michigan

Post by A G Thing »

Faces in the Mist Warlock (Mist) Attack 1
You make the target see shapes of what you wish and feel attacks coming from all sides not knowing the real from the false as you cause the mists to dance about her form putting a shiver in her spine and a chill in her bones, leaving her numb but frighted.

Daily Arcane, Cold, Psychic, Implement,
Standard Action Ranged 10
Target: One creature
Attack: Charisma vs. Will
Hit: 3d6 cold & psychic, + Charisma modifier damage, and target grants combat advantage to all of your allies adjacent to it until the end of your next turn.
Effect: Target takes a -1 to Reflex and Will defense, (save ends).

Just a nitpick, this doesn't need the charm keyword but requires the cold and psychic keywords. Fixed!
And it would be easier to havd 3d6 cold and psychic rather than 2&1. Or have the psychic damage be additional if you have the Mist pact.
Type of damage is changed but I see no other daily powers in the warlock section benifit from pact relation in the book?

And with a defence penalty AND granting CA it's a little mighty for Lvl 1. I might tap it to Lvl 5.
I don't know if I agree... Sure that +2 against you is from multiple opponents possibly but you could still shift away from them before they attack unlike if you check Dread Star on pg 133 of the players handbook 4th edition, it has 3d6 damage, causes IMOBILIZATION, and gives a -2 to will defense and is a level 1 Daily! And the paladin Daily Radiant Delirium on pg 93, causes 3d8 + Cha, radiant, a -2 penalty to AC save ends, causes the target to be dazed which grants combat advantage, lose immediate actions, and you can't flank yourself, and also has a miss effect that does half damage and dazes the target. I think they are even in balance issues but I wonder if perhaps you can explain why you think it is too strong... Don't want to fight but I am confused because I just don't see what is so powerful about it compared to the other daily powers listed!
There's also no real "end of the round" durations...
Little confused but I think I have fixed the problem in the text! I think...
But I'm fairly anal. I check the wording and formatting of my stuff continually and downloaded a copy of the core books (in addition to my gift set currently two floors below me in the basement/games room) just so I can reference while I write (plus searching the bookmarked pdfs is sooo much easier than flipping pages).
I got the book right infront of me, so I will try to do better in future submissions on my end and thanks for the critque!
"There is only one true answer to any and every question. The rest are just vagaries and obfuscations."
Jester of the FoS

CA itself allowes extra damage for many classes and opens up extra abilities, and grants a +2 bonus to hit. So it's really a +3 bonus to hit.

Immobilization is nasty, but not that bad. Really, you can still attack and really only hinders movement. But if you're where you want to be immob isn't going to do anything.

But the paladin argument is good, so the power might not be *that* overpowered (I did only compare to warlock powers, not other classes). So good catch. I still personally think the double penalty is harsh but limiting CA to adjacent enemies prevents everyone from attacking.

We could do other limits, like adding extra effects (like the CA or the defence penalties) if the target is the subject of your warlock curse.
A G Thing
Evil Genius
Evil Genius
Location: Currently the Frozen Wastes of Mount Pleasant Michigan

Post by A G Thing »

Limits sound fine I just did not understand fully your arguement for the bump in level because combat advantage is something everyone can get in a variety of ways...

And as for immobilization being eh... Tell that to the guy who gets pelted from afar or just 5ft away by mobs of minions. Ranged combat may be uneffected by it but it is still devastaing to the person trapped under a sustained wizard effect or the guy trying to escape who ends up surrounded and cut off, or even stuck in a hazard like a collapsing bridge or a breaking dam of water... Believe me it can happen...

No charging, no running, no shifting, you can teleport (If you have it!) but you are still immobilized after the port and basically you just have to wait to be picked at by enemies that may move or shift into range and then move or shift out after smacking you good from a distance. Believe me I would rather move out of combat advantage on my turn then stand still and draw fire from every enemy with a rock, bow, sword, and spell...

Then again if it where my character I would rather have neither cause both are kinda bad...

But yah limits and Pact effects sound fine I just tried to follow the book!
"There is only one true answer to any and every question. The rest are just vagaries and obfuscations."
Jester of the FoS

LEVEL 1 AT-WILL SPELLS

Touch of the Mists Warlock (Mist) Attack 1
You point your finger at the target and a jet of Mist erupts from underneath their feet, engulfing them.
At-will • Arcane, Cold, Implement
Standard action Ranged 10
Attack: Intelligence vs Will
Hit: 1d6 + Intelligence modifier cold damage, the target is slowed until the end of your next turn.
Special: Increase damage to 2d6 + Intelligence modifier at 21st level.

LEVEL 1 ENCOUNTER SPELLS

Dark Caress Warlock (Mist) Attack 1
You freeze their spirit sapping away their very life.
Encounter • Arcane, Cold, Implement, Necrotic
Standard action Ranged 5
Hit: 2d6 + Intelligence modifier cold damage, and if you have combat advantage against the target you also deal and extra 1d8 necrotic damage.
Mist Pact: You deal extra damage equal to your Constitution modifier.

Death from Below Warlock (Mist) Attack 1
You teleport your foe upward, then watch as they fall to the earth.
Encounter • Arcane, Implement, Teleportation
Standard action Ranged 5
Effect: The target is teleported up 2 squares (10 feet). Upon landing the target takes 1d10 damage.
Mist Pact: The target is teleported up a number of squares equal to 1 + your Constitution modifier. For every 10 additional feet they take an extra 1d10 damage.

LEVEL 1 DAILY SPELLS

Bonechill Warlock (Mist) Attack 1
You leech the very warmth of their body, drawing it into yourself.
Daily • Arcane, Cold, Implement, Necrotic
Standard action Ranged 5
Hit: 2d8 + Intelligence modifier cold and necrotic damage, and you gain 2d6 temporary hitpoints.
Effect: The target takes a -2 penalty to Reflex defence (save ends).
Miss: Half damage and no temporary hitpoints.
Mist Pact: You gain temporary hitpoints equal to 2d6 + your Constitution modifier.

Faces in the Mists Warlock (Mist) Attack 1
You make the target see what you wish and feel attacks coming from all sides, not knowing the real from the false putting a shiver in her spine and a chill in her bones.
Daily • Arcane, Cold, Psychic, Implement
Hit: 3d6 + Intelligence modifier cold and psychic damage, and the target grants combat advantage to your allies until the start of your next turn.
Effect: The target takes a -1 penalty to Reflex and Will defence (save ends).

LEVEL 2 UTILITY SPELLS

Eyes of Darkness Warlock (Mist) Utility 2
Through inhuman vision nothing escapes your sight.
Encounter • Arcane, Cold, Implement
Minor Action Personal
Effect: You gain a +5 power to your next Perception check during this encounter. You also gain darkvision until the end of the encounter or 5 minutes.

LEVEL 3 ENCOUNTER SPELLS

Black-Ice Warlock (Mist) Attack 3
You freeze the ground creating a slick patch of ice.
Encounter • Arcane, Cold, Implement, Zone
Standard action Area burst 2 within 10
Target: Each creature in the burst
Attack: Intelligence vs Reflex
Hit: 1d8 + Intelligence modifier cold damage and the target is knocked prone
Sustain Minor: When you sustain this power you make a secondary attack.
Secondary Targets: Each ceature within the zone.
Secondary Attack: Intelligence vs Reflex
Hit: Target is knocked prone

LEVEL 5 DAILY SPELLS

Will to Die Warlock (Mist) Attack 5
You sap their will to fight and sense of self-preservation.
Daily • Arcane, Implement, Psychic
Hit: 2d6 + Intelligence modifier psychic damage, and the target grants combat advantage to your allies until the start of your next turn.
Effect: The target takes a -1 penalty to attack rolls and all defences (save ends).
Mist Pact: The penalty to attack rolls is equal to your Constitution modifier.

LEVEL 6 UTILITY SPELLS

Rise-Up Warlock (Mist) Utility 6
You fall through space and arrive at your destination facing the desired location.
Encounter • Arcane, Teleportation
Move Action Personal
Effect: You can teleport 5 squares. If you were prone you arrive standing.
Mist Pact: You teleport a number of squares equal to 5 + your Constitution modifier.

LEVEL 7 ENCOUNTER SPELLS

Binding Mists Warlock (Mist) Attack 7
A thick fog wraps around your foe, pinning their limbs together.
Attack: Intelligence vs Fortitude
Hit: 2d6 + Intelligence modifier cold damage and the target is restrained (save ends).
Aftereffect: The target is immobilized (save ends).
Jester of the FoS

MIST PACT
Fluff text on the pact.
More fluff on gaining the pact.
Fluff on the Mists themselves.
Touch of the Mists: You know the touch of the Mists at-will spell.
Mistshroud Aura: You have the Mistshroud Aura pact boon. As your cursed enemies fall you are veiled from attack.
When the subject to your Warlock Curse is reduced to 0 hitpoints or fewer you gain a Mistshroud Aura. The aura lightly obscures you granting concealment.
Your Mistshroud Aura begins at a value of 0, so it is confined to your square. It increase by 1 for every additional Cursed enemy that is reduced to 0 hitpoints or lower. If you have a Mistshoud Aura of 1 or higher, allies in affected squares can also gain cover.
Your Mistshroud Aura stacks with your Shadow Walk power. If you have both powers active at the same time you are heavily obscured, gaining total concealment from non-adjacent enemies.
Jester of the FoS

LEVEL 9 DAILY SPELLS

Death Knell Warlock (Mist) Attack 9
Your victim’s dying screams reverberate through the air.
Daily • Arcane, Implement, Necrotic, Thunder
Attack: Intelligence vs AC
Hit: 3d8 + Intelligence modifier necrotic damage. If this attack drops the target to 0 hit points or fewer, creatures adjacent to the target take 1d6 thunder damage.

LEVEL 10 UTILITY SPELLS

Spirit Walk Warlock (Mist) Utility 10
You become as mist, flowly through the air.
Encounter • Arcane, Polymorph
Minor Action Personal
Effect: You assume a mist form until the end of your turn. In this form you are insubstantial and gain phasing. In this form you can’t take standard actions.

LEVEL 13 ENCOUNTER SPELLS

The Flesh is Weak Warlock (Mist) Attack 13
Through experience you know where to hit.
Standard action Melee weapon
Attack: Constitution vs Will
Hit: 1d6 + Constitution modifier cold damage, and the target gains vulnerable 5 cold.
Mist Pact: The target gains vulnerable cold equal to 4 + your Intelligence modifier.

LEVEL 15 DAILY SPELLS

Mistnapped Monster Hunter Utility 12
A wall of mist rises from the ground, obscuring vision. Those who enter may never leave...
Daily • Arcane, Conjuration, Teleportation
Standard action Area wall 8 within 5
Effect: You conjure a wall of mist which blocks line of sight and grants cover. The wall lasts until the end of your next turn.
Creatures that enter the wall exit it from a random square. Their movement is uninterrupted and they can re-enter the mist.
Sustain Minor: The wall persists.
Jester of the FoS

Stumped on the L16 utility. Only have enough brainstorming for 3-5 powers and I need at least 8 plus a paragon path...
Jester of the FoS

Weaken the Bond Warlock (Mist) Attack 15
You cut-off the flow of necrotic energy to you foes, weakening them.
Daily • Arcane, Implement, Necrotic
Standard action Close Bust 10
Target: All undead in the burst
Hit: 3d8 + Intelligence modifier necrotic damage, and the target is stunned (save ends).
Aftereffect: the target is weakened (save ends).
Special: This attack ignores resistance to necrotic damage.
Miss: Half damage and the target is weakened (save ends) and no aftereffect.

LEVEL 16 UTILITY SPELLS

Strobing Step Warlock (Mist) Utility 16
Striding forward you suddenly teleport ahead then continue to move, only to teleport again.
Daily • Arcane, Teleportation
Minor Action Personal
Effect: You gain a +2 power bonus to speed. Until the end of your turn, for every 3 squares that you move you can teleport 1 square as part of the same move action. After you teleport you can resume normal movement.
Mist Pact: You gain a power bonus to speed equal to 1 + your Intelligence modifier.

LEVEL 17 ENCOUNTER SPELLS

Writhing Mist Warlock (Mist) Attack 17
The Mists wriggle and crawl around you, lashing out like ethereal tentacles.
Standard action Close burst 15
Target: Each creature in burst under your curse.
Attack: Intelligence vs Reflex
Hit: 3d8 + Intelligence modifier cold damage,
Mist Pact: The target treats the area of the burst as difficult terrain until the start of your next turn.

Leech Life Warlock (Mist) Attack 17
Your wounds heal as you draw vital energy from your foes.
Encounter • Arcane, Healing, Implement
Standard action Ranged 5
Hit: 2d6 + Intelligence modifier damage, the target is weakened, and you can spend a healing surge.
Mist Pact: You regain additional hitpoints equal to your Constitution modifier.

LEVEL 19 DAILY SPELLS

Freeze Core Warlock (Mist) Attack 19
You become a wraithlike phantom and move through your enemies, freezing them from the inside.
Daily • Arcane, Cold, Polymorph
Standard action Personal
Effect: You gain phasing until the end of your turn. If you move through an enemy’s square make an attack.
Attack: Intelligence +2 vs Reflex
Hit: 2d10 + Intelligence modifier cold damage, and ongoing 10 cold damage (save ends). The first time an enemy fails a save against this ongoing damage they are slowed (save ends both).
Special: You can attack a number of enemies equal to your Constitution modifier. You still need to move through their square.

LEVEL 22 UTILITY SPELLS

Ethereal Seal Warlock (Mist) Utility 22
The Mists cut off the region from other worlds and planes.
Daily • Arcane, Zone
Standard action Area burst 25 within 5 squares
Effect: The burst creates a zone that stops all teleportation. No one can teleport inside the zone, into the zone, or out of the zone.
Powers that only teleport are not used and the action is not spent in the attempt. Powers where teleportation is a partial effect or side benefit are used and occur normally aside from the blocked teleportation.
Fey or Mist Pact: You can teleport inside the zone normally. You may also permit allied fey or mist pact warlocks to teleport normally as well.

LEVEL 23 ENCOUNTER SPELLS

Soul Cleave Warlock (Mist) Attack 23
Your curse wrenches at their soul, attacking their mind and spirit.
Encounter • Arcane, Psychic, Implement
Standard action Close blast 5
Target: Each creature in blast under your curse.
Hit: 2d8 + Intelligence modifier damage, and the target is stunned.

LEVEL 25 DAILY SPELLS

Remove Soul Warlock (Mist) Attack 25
You violently rip your enemy’s soul from their body, leaving their body helpless on the ground.
Encounter • Arcane, Psychic, Implement
Standard action Range 5
Target: One Creature
Hit: 3d8 + Intelligence modifier psychic damage.
Effect: The target’s spirit leaves their body, but remains in the same square. The spirit is immune to all attacks and cannot take any standard actions. The target’s material body drops prone and is helpless (save ends).

LEVEL 27 ENCOUNTER SPELLS

Bond of Life Warlock (Mist) Attack 27
You bind your lifeforce to that of your enemy’s.
Encounter • Arcane, Healing, Implement
Hit: 2d8 + Intelligence modifier damage, and the target takes ongoing 15 damage (save ends).
Effect: You gain regeneration 15 until the start of your turn after the target saves or reaches 0 hit points or fewer.
Mist Pact: Your regeneration lasts until the end of your turn after the target saves or reaches 0 hit points or fewer.

LEVEL 29 DAILY SPELLS

Absolute Zero Warlock (Mist) Attack 29
You pull all the heat out of the target and dissipate it amongst the surrounding area
Daily • Arcane, Cold, Fire, Implement
Hit: 5d12 + Intelligence modifier cold damage, and the target gains vulnerable 5 fire. If the target is reduced to 0 hit points or fewer make a secondary attack
Secondary Target: Each creature adjacent to the primary target.
Secondary Attack: Intelligence vs Reflex
Hit: 1d12 + Intelligence modifier fire damage.
Mist Pact: If the primary target is bloodied or reduced to 0 hit points or fewer make a secondary attack.
Jester of the FoS

I'd like a few more ideas for utility powers and maybe a few extra powers for some variety. But really, at this point, with the Dark Pact and Dragon article on the Star pact, warlocks have some of the largest variety of powers.
Desertrising
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Desertrising »

I actually really think this is well done. I will try to come up with something. However I also wanted to ask if I could play test this? I showed it to a friend and he was interested. It won't be in a Ravenloft game, but it would give us an idea.
Vote Cthulhu! At least then we know we are going to get screwed.
Jester of the FoS

Go nuts. Let me know how she handles.
Desertrising
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Desertrising »

Awesome! I will let you know after we game with her this Sunday and then give you updates as we continue to play.
Vote Cthulhu! At least then we know we are going to get screwed.
Jester of the FoS

Mist Pact:
http://www.box.net/shared/2e28kqdn68

Now in one convenient pdf file. Updated a tiny bit from the previous, tweaked a power or two.