Mist-pact Warlocks (powers needed)

Coordinating community projects
Jester of the FoS
Jester of the Dark Comedy

Mist-pact Warlocks (powers needed)

Post by Jester of the FoS »

Okay, as stated in the origin thread I'd like to make a Mist pact for Ravenloft.
Existing warlocks use Constitution, Intelligence, or Charisma so I'd like to focus on one of those rather than branching off into Wisdom. Charisma seems to have two solid pacts already, and Constitution is always a reliable stat so I'm tempted to go with Intelligence. But with secondary-powers likely fuelled by Constitution so it makes a nice companion pact with Infernal (which is currently the odd-pact-out with all the others being Cha/Int)

This thematically ties into the idea of forbidden knowledge and learning something that cannot be un-learned.

While I've also thought about multi-class Mist powers (see the spell scarred 'class' in the FR Player's Guide) the warlock should probably work nicely for both with non-warlocks being able to multiclass into the Mist pact and pick up Mist-powers that way.

So the powers should compliment the "scourge warlock" build for the most part. Higher damage, less subtle (which is oddly counter-intuitive), although we can also add the occasional deceptive-friendly power.

Powers themselves should do a mix of cold and necrotic damage. Which varies from most other warlock powers and we might also make liberal use of fear and illusion effects.
Personally, I'd like to see more conjurations and zones which I feel are lacking in powers.

We need:
L1 At-Will
L1 Encounter
L1 Daily
L2 Utility
L3 Encounter
L5 Daily
L6 Utility
L7 Encounter
L9 Daily
L10 Utility
L13 Encounter
L15 Daily
L16 Utility
L17 Encounter
L19 Daily
L22 Utility
L23 Encounter
L25 Daily
L27 Encounter
L29 Daily
Nathan of the FoS
Fiendish Enforcer
Fiendish Enforcer

Post by Nathan of the FoS »

I think one of the key things will be to adequately differentiate it from the fey pact stuff, since a lot of abilities I would associate with the Mists (teleportation, psychic damage, confusion) is already covered pretty thoroughly by fey pact abilities.

There's nothing wrong with some overlap, of course.

I'm kinda bugged they ended up making the Star pact Cha based--I think it would make a better Con pact, and that would leave Cha for the Mists. But, they didn't. I do think that we should seriously consider making the Mists a deceptive/Cha pact anyway; it makes more sense to me to start from fluff and work toward mechanics than to try to "balance the system" somehow with the new pact.
[b]FEAR JUSTICE.[/b] :elena:
Desertrising
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Desertrising »

L1 at will- Touch of the mists ranged 10/20 ranged attack vs AC. 1d4+cha damage; target looses one point of speed. Save ends.

A sudden chill seems to creep into the body of the target robbing it both of life and mobility.

an idea anyway.
Vote Cthulhu! At least then we know we are going to get screwed.
Jester of the FoS

Reducing speed. Neat idea. But does have that awkward touch of extra book-keeping when it could just slow them.
But I like.
Hell_Born
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Hell_Born »

It's usual for arcanists to attack Fortitude, Reflex and Will defences rather than AC, as they don't receive as many proficiency bonuses as martial or divine characters do.

I'd suggest that it be ranged 10 (that's what all the other Warlock At-Wills are), be Int vs. Will, and Daze the target (save ends).

Also, you'll need to determine the Pact Boon (aka, what happens to the Warlock when an enemy they've cursed is reduced to 0 hit points) for the Mist pact. If it helps, the other pacts have the following Boons:

Dark (FR Player's Guide): the most complex boon, each cursed enemy who dies gives you 1 point for your Darkspiral Aura (all points vanish after short rest). Once per round, as a free action, you can unleash the aura as an immediate interrupt when an enemy makes a melee or ranged attack against you. You deal 1D6 necrotic & psychic (duel damage typed, not 1D6 necrotic and 1D6 psychic) damage per point in the Aura. If damage inflicted is greater than 12, the target is weakened and the Aura drops to 1 point- otherwise the target just takes the damage and the Aura is exhausted, reverting to its default of zero points.

Fey (PHB): when a cursed enemy dies, you may teleport up to three squares as a free action.

Infernal (PHB): whenever a cursed foe is slain, you gain temporary hit points equal to your level.

Star (PHB): for each cursed enemy who dies, you gain a cumulative +1 bonus (so +2 if two cursed enemies die, etc) that you can apply to a single D20 roll of your choice.
"Is there any word more meaningless than 'hope'? Besides 'blarfurgsnarg,' of course."

"Seek and Locate! Locate and Destroy! Destroy and Rejoice!"
Desertrising
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Desertrising »

Okay how about this

Touch of the Mists

Wizard Attack 1

You point your hand at the target waving your fingers. A jet of Mist erupts from underneath the targets feat surrounding the target for a brief moment.

At Will Arcane, Mist, Implement
Standard action Ranged 10
Target
One target
Attack: Intelligence vs. Will
Hit 1d6+Charisma modifier, target is stunned (save ends) [/i][/b]
Jester of the FoS

Right now I'm kicking around ideas for pact boons.
I'm thinking something involving the Mists. Taking a cue from the dark pact I might have a Misty aura surround the warlock and grant concealment, which increases with each kill (so you might grant concealment to allies around you. It would likely start as no aura then increase to aura 0 (concealment but only in your square).
Which stacks with the Shadow Walk power (so if you move more than 3 squares you're heavily obscured and have total concealment from non-adjacent enemies).

It's handy because (with total concealment) you can use stealth to suddenly gain combat advantage.
While warlocks don't have stealth as a class skill they can still make the checks. And it makes being a Warlock McRogue attractive.

We could make this even more attractive by adding bonuses to our new warlock powers that activate upon combat advantage.
So half the new powers might have the "Mist Pact" option where having the pact boosts/compliments the power, while the other half might have a "combat advantage" boost.
Jester of the FoS

Desertrising wrote:Okay how about this

Touch of the Mists

Wizard Attack 1

You point your hand at the target waving your fingers. A jet of Mist erupts from underneath the targets feat surrounding the target for a brief moment.

At Will Arcane, Mist, Implement
Standard action Ranged 10
Target
One target
Hit 1d6+Charisma modifier, target is stunned (save ends) [/i][/b]
Lemme just run the Jester magic over that

Touch of the Mists Warlock (Mist) Attack 1

At Will * Arcane, Cold, Implement
Standard Action Ranged
Target: One creature
Hit: 1d6 + Intelligence modifier cold damage, target is slowed until the end of your next turn.
Increase damage to 2d6 + Intelligence modifier at 21st level.

There's no "mist" keyword so that's gone. I'm personally avoiding adding keywords, conditions, and extra base rules to the game.
So cold keyword added and cold damage.
If the attack is Int vs X, then the damage should also use Int.
Stunned is pretty good for an At-will, and I liked the old "reduce speed" idea so changed it to slowed. This makes the power almost identical to the wizard "Ray of Frost" but it's against Will not Fort, which makes it different enough for me.
Desertrising
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Desertrising »

Jester,

That looks great. It looks like we have the level 1 at will power. Glad I could help.
Jester of the FoS

Dark Caress Warlock (Mist) Attack 1
You freeze their spirit sapping away their very life.
Encounter * Arcane, Cold, Implement, Necrotic
Standard Action _ Ranged
Hit: 2d6 + Intelligence modifier cold damage, and if you have combat advantage against the target, you also deal an extra 1d8 necrotic damage.
_ Mist Pact: The attack deals extra damage equal to your Constitution modifier.

Bonechill Warlock (Mist) Attack 1
You leech the very warmth of their body.
Standard Action _ Ranged
Attack: Intelligence vs. Reflex
Hit: 2d8 + Intelligence modifier cold damage, the target takes a -1 penalty to attack rolls until the start of your next turn, and you gain temporary hitpoints equal to your Constitution modifier.
_ Mist Pact: The range is 10 instead of 5.
Desertrising
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Desertrising »

I like both of those, they fit well. We still need a daly.

Maybe we can use the lost in the mists concept. It would be an area attack that causes confusion? Or maybe even shifts everyone in the are of effect 1 square.

I will give it some thought.

It is okay that I am adding my two cents right? I mean I can shut up and just enjoy what you are doing as well.
Hell_Born
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Hell_Born »

Hmm... for the Mist'lock's Paragon Path, perhaps a "Walker in the Mists" theme? Obfuscation and teleportation, basically? If this sounds appropriate, you might want to look at the Darkwalker (Dak'lock Paragon Path) and Umbriri (Swordmage Paragon Path) from the Forgotten Realms Player's Book- if you don't have that, I'd be happy to post the details here myself.

Hmm... I'm no good at rules, but if you like I can try and think of some conceptual spells for this pact and see if you can make anything from that. Also, for a Daily, perhaps a "Phantoms/Faces in the Mist" thing? Sustainable zone of fear, in which opponents see ominous shapes constantly flitting around in the fog, never striking but menacing enough that the fear overwhelms them? ...Thing is, though, that would probably be Psychic damage, and this pact is aiming for Cold & Necrotic damage...
"Is there any word more meaningless than 'hope'? Besides 'blarfurgsnarg,' of course."

"Seek and Locate! Locate and Destroy! Destroy and Rejoice!"
A G Thing
Evil Genius
Evil Genius
Location: Currently the Frozen Wastes of Mount Pleasant Michigan

Post by A G Thing »

Heres a daily for ya!

Faces in the Mist Warlock (Mist) Attack 1
You make the target see shapes of what you wish and feel attacks coming from all sides not knowing the real from the false as you cause the mists to dance about her form putting a shiver in her spine and a chill in her bones, leaving her numb but frightend.

Daily Arcane, Charm, Implement,
Standard Action Ranged 10
Attack: Charisma vs. Will
Hit: 2d6 cold, 1d6 psychic, + Charisma modifier damage, and target grants combat advantage to all allies adjacent to it that round.
Effect: Target takes a -1 to Reflex and Will defense, (save ends).
"There is only one true answer to any and every question. The rest are just vagaries and obfuscations."
Jester of the FoS

Jester of the FoS wrote:Bonechill Warlock (Mist) Attack 1
You leech the very warmth of their body.
Standard Action _ Ranged
Hit: 2d8 + Intelligence modifier cold damage, the target takes a -1 penalty to attack rolls until the start of your next turn, and you gain temporary hitpoints equal to your Constitution modifier.
_ Mist Pact: The range is 10 instead of 5.
I'm actually unhappy with this as it doesn't do nearly what I wanted it to do. I was trying to do too much and it'll work better as a daily.

Bonechill Warlock (Mist) Attack 1
You leech the very warmth of their body, drawing it into yourself.
Daily* Arcane, Cold, Implement, Necrotic
Standard Action _ Ranged
Hit: 2d8 + Intelligence modifier cold and necrotic damage, and you gain 2d6 temporary hitpoints.
Effect: The target takes a -2 penalty to Reflex defence (save ends).
Miss: Half damage and no temporary hitpoints.
_ Mist Pact: You gain temporary hitpoints equal to 2d6 + your Constitution modifier

Less damage than other daily powers but does have the hp boost. I wanted the penalty to Reflex earlier but it was too powerful for a encounter then.
Last edited by Jester of the FoS on Sun Sep 28, 2008 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jester of the FoS

A G Thing wrote: Faces in the Mist Warlock (Mist) Attack 1
You make the target see shapes of what you wish and feel attacks coming from all sides not knowing the real from the false as you cause the mists to dance about her form putting a shiver in her spine and a chill in her bones, leaving her numb but frighted.

Daily Arcane, Charm, Implement,
Standard Action Ranged 10
Attack: Charisma vs. Will
Hit: 2d6 cold, 1d6 psychic, + Charisma modifier damage, and target grants combat advantage to all allies adjacent to it that round.
Effect: Target takes a -1 to Reflex and Will defense, (save ends).
Just a nitpick, this doesn't need the charm keyword but requires the cold and psychic keywords.
And it would be easier to havd 3d6 cold and psychic rather than 2&1. Or have the psychic damage be additional if you have the Mist pact.

And with a defence penalty AND granting CA it's a little mighty for Lvl 1. I might tap it to Lvl 5.
There's also no real "end of the round" durations...

But I'm fairly anal. I check the wording and formatting of my stuff continually and downloaded a copy of the core books (in addition to my gift set currently two floors below me in the basement/games room) just so I can reference while I write (plus searching the bookmarked pdfs is sooo much easier than flipping pages).