QtR Translation

Coordinating community projects
Jakob
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Jakob »

Okay, I'm just seeing this thread now. In the future, it might be a better idea to send an email or private message for information so necessary for a project.
Sorry. I thought that, since this was the "project" room, the Fraternity would browse in here on a regular basis...
I thought it more practical than single-person messages and email to keep in touch with the whole Fraternity.
Why exactly do you need another Foreword for the netbook? There is already one in the book.
Well, the foreword is just saying that this issue of QtR is the "reloaded" one.
Since this is the first International Issue of the Quoth the Raven (not exactly a nothing, isn't it?) guessed a member of the Fraternity would have been happy to say something about the project. :)
Next, how exactly would you copy the layout from the 12th issue?
I was thinking about the cover, the layout of the pages... They are DEFINETLY much better than the first numbers'.
If not, we can leave it as it is.
I wait for your answer.

Of course, the Fraternity will be the first to receive the first Italian QtR. :)
I coloni rovinavano la foresta costruendo il capolavoro dell'uomo civilizzato: il deserto.
- Luis Sepúlveda
ScS of the Fraternity

Post by ScS of the Fraternity »

First of all, sorry we haven't gotten back to you sooner, but we've been busy with other projects.

Second, I don't have anything to add on this subject, so I don't feel comfortable writing another foreword. However, if you really feel it necessary, you could add in the following:
Welcome to the first issue of Quoth the Raven,
This is a doubly special issue, because it is the first edition of this netbook translated into Italian. This netbook, first begun in the english language, continues to grow and expand. With the assistance of devoted fans, our magazine will continue to reach new readers, bringing it ever closer to our goal:
The complete and total domination of the World!

So enjoy our first Italian edition, and remember,
Resistance is futile.
Third, I suggest you use your discretion in terms of layout. I don't know what kind of software you intend to use, so I cannot begin to guess what kind of a chore it will be to transfer the images from the pdf into the document you'll be working in. Considering the size of this undertaking, I think you might be better off working with the original plain word layout and seeing towards the end if you can copy the layout
Evil Reigns!!!!
Jakob
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Jakob »

ScS of the Fraternity wrote:First of all, sorry we haven't gotten back to you sooner, but we've been busy with other projects.
Thanks for the answer. It's really enough. :)
ScS of the Fraternity wrote:Second, I don't have anything to add on this subject, so I don't feel comfortable writing another foreword. However, if you really feel it necessary, you could add in the following:
Welcome to the first issue of Quoth the Raven,
This is a doubly special issue, because it is the first edition of this netbook translated into Italian. This netbook, first begun in the english language, continues to grow and expand. With the assistance of devoted fans, our magazine will continue to reach new readers, bringing it ever closer to our goal:
The complete and total domination of the World!

So enjoy our first Italian edition, and remember,
Resistance is futile.
This is exactly what I had in mind.
Short, concise and utterly mad. :lol:
Third, I suggest you use your discretion in terms of layout. I don't know what kind of software you intend to use, so I cannot begin to guess what kind of a chore it will be to transfer the images from the pdf into the document you'll be working in. Considering the size of this undertaking, I think you might be better off working with the original plain word layout and seeing towards the end if you can copy the layout
Since it won't be my area of work, I'm not THAT worried. :P

Anyway, is it possible to have a Word version (or pre-pdf, anyway) of QtR#12, so we can copy the layout directly out of it? It would simplify our work immensely.

Thank you in advance! :)

EDIT: Wait, another question. Is the content of QtR#1-11 considered OGL as in QtR#12? Do we have to insert the OGL document?
PS: We have a Lawful Neutral lawyer in the staff... I'm not joking!
He's quite picky about lawsuits from the Italian publisher of D&D... :roll:
I coloni rovinavano la foresta costruendo il capolavoro dell'uomo civilizzato: il deserto.
- Luis Sepúlveda
ScS of the Fraternity

Post by ScS of the Fraternity »

Jakob wrote:Since it won't be my area of work, I'm not THAT worried. :P

Anyway, is it possible to have a Word version (or pre-pdf, anyway) of QtR#12, so we can copy the layout directly out of it? It would simplify our work immensely.
See, that's why I asked how you were going to copy the layout in my previous posts. There is no Word version of QtR 12 - the layout is too complex for Microsoft Word to create. This was done in Framemaker - a professional grade publishing program (and none too cheap, either).
So to summarize; Yes there is a pre-pdf version, but unless you have Framemaker 6.0 or 7.0, you won't be able to use it.
That plain Word layout is looking better all the time. :)
Jakob wrote:EDIT: Wait, another question. Is the content of QtR#1-11 considered OGL as in QtR#12? Do we have to insert the OGL document?
PS: We have a Lawful Neutral lawyer in the staff... I'm not joking!
He's quite picky about lawsuits from the Italian publisher of D&D... :roll:
That is another problem.
QtR exists in a legal limbo. We have never had a right to publish anything using the intellectual property contained under the Ravenloft name. We have thus far been ignored by the licence holder, Wizards of the Coast, and up until recently, ArtHaus.

So, technically speaking, the OGL does not need to be copied over, because what we're doing is already illegal. :twisted:

I recomend finding the italian version of the OGL and inserting it on the page just preceading the table of contents. It reduces the criminality by a minor margin.
Evil Reigns!!!!
Jakob
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Jakob »

ScS of the Fraternity wrote:
Jakob wrote:Since it won't be my area of work, I'm not THAT worried. :P

See, that's why I asked how you were going to copy the layout in my previous posts. There is no Word version of QtR 12 - the layout is too complex for Microsoft Word to create. This was done in Framemaker - a professional grade publishing program (and none too cheap, either).
So to summarize; Yes there is a pre-pdf version, but unless you have Framemaker 6.0 or 7.0, you won't be able to use it.
That plain Word layout is looking better all the time. :)
I'll have a quick brainstorming session with the staff...
Maybe we can get the program. Maybe.
ScS of the Fraternity wrote: That is another problem.
QtR exists in a legal limbo. We have never had a right to publish anything using the intellectual property contained under the Ravenloft name. We have thus far been ignored by the licence holder, Wizards of the Coast, and up until recently, ArtHaus.

So, technically speaking, the OGL does not need to be copied over, because what we're doing is already illegal. :twisted:

I recomend finding the italian version of the OGL and inserting it on the page just preceading the table of contents. It reduces the criminality by a minor margin.
Our lawyer will have an heart attack. :twisted:

EDIT: Soon, the webmaster of Ars Arcana will send you an e-mail to ask you "legally" to translate the netbooks... I know it's a bit complicate, but, to say it in Italian, "dobbiamo pararci il culo". :D
- Luis Sepúlveda
Jakob
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Jakob »

Ok, our slave (:D) can get Framemaker from his workplace, but it'll take some time.

This means:
A) If you can send me the file, I'd be immensely grateful
B) If not the FIRST issue, I hope the SECOND issue will be made with #12's layout.

Our lawyer had the much-prophetized heart attack. :)
The price of his brand new pacemaker will be charged on the Fraternity.
I hope you have some artifact to sell so you can cover the expenses. :twisted:

Ok, joking aside, there should be no problem with the OGL, since 25th Edition (the italian official WotC and WW publisher) is letting Ravenloft rot in its archives. I'll soon ask them, anyway. :)
- Luis Sepúlveda
Jakob
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Jakob »

It is a great honor for me to annouce the release of the translation of two articles from QtR#1!

You can find them on the front page at www.ars-arcana.it!
- Luis Sepúlveda
Jakob
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Jakob »

A question: many contributors to QtR did not submit an e-mail adress, or submit it so long ago it has became useless.

What should I do about it?
- Luis Sepúlveda
Joël of the FoS

Post by Joël of the FoS »

Go with it. Did you get a "no" answer yet? These people would probably have said yes too.

---

To make things all right, start a new thread here, that I will get fixed on the top. Explain in it what you are doing and who you are trying to reach unsuccessfully, for which article, and the link to the translated article when its done.

Say that you will remove them from your site should these people object.

Put your email so they can reach you, if ever they read this.

---

You could try on the WotC RL board and put the same message. Then you will have done what you could, I guess.

Joël
"A full set of (game) rules is so massively complicated that the only time they were all bound together in a single volume, they underwent gravitational collapse and became a black hole" (Adams)