Metaphysician and Astral projection?

Discussing all things Ravenloft
Nox
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Metaphysician and Astral projection?

Post by Nox »

How does Astral projection of the metaphysician work? It is a ravenloft Prc (in heroes of light) so it should work some way even if the book says that Astral spell does not work, right?
Do it work normally (except the delusion effect)?
Can a metaphysician bring someone with him like the normal spell?
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: Metaphysician and Astral projection?

Post by Gonzoron of the FoS »

Keep in mind that Heroes of Light is notoriously shaky when it comes to rules crunch. I would agree. The RPLH says that any attempt to travel to the astral plane completely fails. That the metaphysician class completely fails to mention that makes me think the author missed it.

Oh, here we go, it's been noticed before... It's in the Errata:
http://www.fraternityofshadows.com/TheV ... rrata.html
Change the Metaphysician’s Astral Projection, as astral projection normally fails utterly in Ravenloft. Change the ability so that the metaphysician can project himself through the Mists (à la the Astral) into other domains (à la other planes). Essentially, the metaphysician would be using it as a powerful teleportation spell. (Suggestion by the very patient Azalin)
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."
Nox
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Nox »

Gonzoron of the FoS wrote:Keep in mind that Heroes of Light is notoriously shaky when it comes to rules crunch. I would agree. The RPLH says that any attempt to travel to the astral plane completely fails. That the metaphysician class completely fails to mention that makes me think the author missed it.

Oh, here we go, it's been noticed before... It's in the Errata:
http://www.fraternityofshadows.com/TheV ... rrata.html
Change the Metaphysician’s Astral Projection, as astral projection normally fails utterly in Ravenloft. Change the ability so that the metaphysician can project himself through the Mists (à la the Astral) into other domains (à la other planes). Essentially, the metaphysician would be using it as a powerful teleportation spell. (Suggestion by the very patient Azalin)
Thanks! I did not notice that many errors when i read, but now... wow :roll: .
The delusion effect is worthless at this point, right? I mean, the PC would not see the astral plane (nor the other planes at all), so I suppose he should not go mad at all...
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Nox wrote:Thanks! I did not notice that many errors when i read, but now... wow :roll: .
The delusion effect is worthless at this point, right? I mean, the PC would not see the astral plane (nor the other planes at all), so I suppose he should not go mad at all...
Unless he's deluded into thinking he sees all those other planes while he does it. He's actually travelling via standard Mist-based teleport, but "sees" the Astral in his mind. A little "gift" of the Dark Powers to help drive him mad in revenge for probing so deeply into their reality.
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."
Nox
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Nox »

Gonzoron of the FoS wrote:
Nox wrote:Thanks! I did not notice that many errors when i read, but now... wow :roll: .
Unless he's deluded into thinking he sees all those other planes while he does it. He's actually travelling via standard Mist-based teleport, but "sees" the Astral in his mind. A little "gift" of the Dark Powers to help drive him mad in revenge for probing so deeply into their reality.
I take this occasion to ask you a single thing:
For what i have understood of the metaphysician (as written in the book, no errata) he does not actually physically travel to the Ethereal plane. His mind does. And by doing so, his mind create a false body to control in that plane (astral body).
The first time I readed this PRC i was amazed. He should be the only one who is capable of leaving ravenloft for some time.
As written (if i'm right): He can travel to other planes (but only with his mind and that fake body). By reading the spell, he should be capable to bring others with him.
He should be capable of reaching the astral plane and from here travel to any other plane. The standard spell states that the caster can do this indefinitely and his body will be in suspended animation.
One could change the duration in something dependant on "knowledge arcana" or "Knowledge the plane" or something like this (similar to rituals on 4e) to let his players play a fantasy adventure from time to time (But with time limit). You know, Just to brake the tension. Well, the astral body can interact only with object and creature of the astral plane but when he reach another plane a physical body is formed and the characters retains all their equipment... You could make an NPC like this that ask the PC to help him saving his beloved. Is a sad story. He loves a woman on another plane, but he can only see her for a very little time through this spell. one day the woman get kidnapped, or whatever, and he cant do anything to help her, so ask for those PCs help.

From this spell could potentially come out many mind blowing plot (a la matrix). What if every creature on ravenloft is there because a wizard cast astral projection and bring them with him, trapping them forever? Maybe a mad wizard created the demi-plane, and then cast astral projection on himself and his prisoners just to enjoy their's sufferings. And those who dies are actually free from ravenloft (unless they die by aging).
There are many possibilities.

I dont think i'm gonna use any of those ideas in my campaign, I just wanted to make someone think about those possibilities.
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Yes, I think that's exactly the best way to play it. If you allow the Metaphysician to see other worlds and especially if you allow him to bring others, it's can't be just an easy escape from Ravenloft. Play up the mind-bending, reality-questioning nature of it. And I would probably cause some wear and tear on the physical body, despite what the spell says. At the very least, they should have to eat every once and a while, or risk wasting away in the "real world."