The Mists vs normal fog?

Discussing all things Ravenloft
Nox
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

The Mists vs normal fog?

Post by Nox »

I know i already asked this, but i cant remember the answer and i did not find my post.
What's the difference between normal Fog and The Mists? is there any visual difference? How can someone know (if he can at all) recognize fog from The Mists?
Joël of the FoS

Re: The Mists vs normal fog?

Post by Joël of the FoS »

Normal fog is, well, just normal fog ;)

But it can appear strange and the sounds may sound different, making you think something is unnatural, while all is simply normal fog. ;D

The eerie strangeness can drive you made at night, if you think you are seeing things just outside your vision reach.

And perhaps something is using this fog cover to hunt?

And The Mist also appear like just a normal fog, but then all hell can break loose ;)

It starts as normal fog, then something unnatural happens. Or nothing.

Mist usually appear as normal fog, of course, but also appear as dust, snow or sand storm. Or whatever obscures vision and cloud the senses ...

---

I sometimes add normal fog to my atmospheric description, just to make the players uneasy. Is it normal or supernatural? ;)

---

A good friend once posted a short story where she stopped in a cemetery during a fog night. It was great, how she depicted the thing she thought she saw, and the fears she had. Altough she knew it was all imaginary, it was powerful and scary. Alas, I do not find a copy of it.

---

To answer the last question, no, I don't think it is possible to differenciate at first sight. But vistani can surely differentiate the two?

Joël
"A full set of (game) rules is so massively complicated that the only time they were all bound together in a single volume, they underwent gravitational collapse and became a black hole" (Adams)
Joël of the FoS

Post by Joël of the FoS »

Joël of the FoS wrote: A good friend once posted a short story where she stopped in a cemetery during a fog night. It was great, how she depicted the thing she thought she saw, and the fears she had. Altough she knew it was all imaginary, it was powerful and scary. Alas, I do not find a copy of it.
Found it :

I like to bike, I’m always on it. Especially at night when there is fog outside. The lights are not precise anymore and they turn to feeble round-shaped light. The sounds are different too: it is very quiet. You don't meet many persons then so, with the fog, it is easy to feel like if you were the last living thing on earth.

And I like picnic in graveyards too (really).

So one night, around 10 pm, I notice there is fog outside and go for a bike ride. I stay near the river since it is where the fog is the more dense.

Most people stay home during fog and it’s unusual to meet other people: anyway, it is amazing how the few people you cross look weird in the fog. They all look like serial killers on the run!

So I went to this cemetery, now around 11h30 pm, parked my bike and started to walk inside it, alone. As a girl, alone, I felt like living dangerously by going there but I did it for the thrill (and the rational part of my mind was reassuring by saying I was the only person to walk there at night).

It was really creepy. The visibility was less then 30’. The few light sources were turned to yellow circles, shading feeble light in the eerie darkened cemetery. The only sounds I heard were mine, but... I had the impression they were heard by many persons in the cemetery…

It suddenly really felt oppressive: I had the impression that the fog was evil and hiding things from me. I imagined evil men (1? 2? 3? more?) were watching me, protected by the fog. I knew they were waiting for me to get in the middle of the cemetery to jump on me for unspeakable things. They all knew I was there and they were watching me, while I could not see them.

And the only sounds I heard were mine so they now could be moving toward me, I wouldn't hear them ...

The fog I liked really turned to a shroud of terror.

So I didn’t stay very long ! I walked back toward my bike, but soon I was running.

Back on my bike, it took me a while to stop looking behind me.

I had the thrill I wanted (and more) (but I was most probably alone out there).
"A full set of (game) rules is so massively complicated that the only time they were all bound together in a single volume, they underwent gravitational collapse and became a black hole" (Adams)
Nox
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Nox »

Joël of the FoS wrote:
Joël of the FoS wrote: A good friend once posted a short story where she stopped in a cemetery during a fog night. It was great, how she depicted the thing she thought she saw, and the fears she had. Altough she knew it was all imaginary, it was powerful and scary. Alas, I do not find a copy of it.
Found it :

I like to bike, I’m always on it. Especially at night when there is fog outside. The lights are not precise anymore and they turn to feeble round-shaped light. The sounds are different too: it is very quiet. You don't meet many persons then so, with the fog, it is easy to feel like if you were the last living thing on earth.

And I like picnic in graveyards too (really).

So one night, around 10 pm, I notice there is fog outside and go for a bike ride. I stay near the river since it is where the fog is the more dense.

Most people stay home during fog and it’s unusual to meet other people: anyway, it is amazing how the few people you cross look weird in the fog. They all look like serial killers on the run!

So I went to this cemetery, now around 11h30 pm, parked my bike and started to walk inside it, alone. As a girl, alone, I felt like living dangerously by going there but I did it for the thrill (and the rational part of my mind was reassuring by saying I was the only person to walk there at night).

It was really creepy. The visibility was less then 30’. The few light sources were turned to yellow circles, shading feeble light in the eerie darkened cemetery. The only sounds I heard were mine, but... I had the impression they were heard by many persons in the cemetery…

It suddenly really felt oppressive: I had the impression that the fog was evil and hiding things from me. I imagined evil men (1? 2? 3? more?) were watching me, protected by the fog. I knew they were waiting for me to get in the middle of the cemetery to jump on me for unspeakable things. They all knew I was there and they were watching me, while I could not see them.

And the only sounds I heard were mine so they now could be moving toward me, I wouldn't hear them ...

The fog I liked really turned to a shroud of terror.

So I didn’t stay very long ! I walked back toward my bike, but soon I was running.

Back on my bike, it took me a while to stop looking behind me.

I had the thrill I wanted (and more) (but I was most probably alone out there).
very nice story!
I wish I could narrate always like this at the table.