Tome of Strahd

Discussing all things Ravenloft
Nalfien
Conspirator
Conspirator

Tome of Strahd

Post by Nalfien »

I'd like to share with you my version of the Tomb of Strahd that I've re-written for the Castlevania / Curse of Strahd 5e game I'm running. If you are by rare chance a player of mine or simply a player unfamiliar with the common contents of the Tome, please don't read this. I think there are great bit's of Strahd's character that exist within the written adventure, but aren't really given a chance to shine unless you are lucky enough to roleplay it in with an NPC or with Strahd himself. Also, I don't like a giant story dump in a session, as it jacks up the pacing. My plan is to let my players slowly decipher the text over several sessions. Just one paragraph I've written at a time unless they really just seem more interested in getting the next bit. The opening line will be on the first page, and the easiest to decode. In the same session if they study the Tome further, they can get the next paragraph. Another key modification is the relationship to Tatyanna. Dracula himself is also in Barovia in my campaign, seeking the reincarnation of his lost love. We don't need double of that going on. Plus, I find Strahd more interesting as a villain when hes less motivated by love and more motivated by the death of his mother and his hatred of his brother.
VIEW CONTENT:
My Tome of Strahd for Castlevanialoft:
(Each section is to be slowly deciphered from Strahd’s unique short hand. Many pages are missing and lost to time, but these can be translated gradually with enough time.)

I am the Ancient. I am the Land.

I was a count, a prince and a soldier. My father, King Barov died with honor on the battlefield. It was then I waged a long and bloody war upon his enemies. I thundered across the land like the wrath of God, but the war years and the killing year wore down my soul as the wind wears stone into sand. All goodness slipped from my life. I found my youth and strength gone, and all I had left was death. After I cornered my enemies in this remote mountain valley, my army settled here and took power over the people in the name of God, but with none of God’s grace or justice. Stricken with the serene beauty of this land, I named the valley Barovia after my dear father. I gathered the most talented architect and builders to construct a monument to my family's victory so grand in design that it would rival even the fortress of my ancestral homeland. So came to be my home, my tomb, which I named castle Ravenloft after my mother Ravenovia. I sent for her to join me here, and to bring with her the remains of my father.

My mother would not live to see this castle that is her name sake. A younger brother of mine named Sergei arrived bearing my father’s bones, the news of my mother’s death during the journey, and her lifeless body. With him came a soldier named Longinus, a holy man who failed at saving my mother. I cursed them both. I hated Sergei for his failure in keeping her safe, as well as for his youth and his handsome looks. I hated the holy man and cursed God as well for taking her from me before she could see what I had accomplished for us.

Sergei had the affection of one of the villagers. Tatyanna was her name. Her beauty, youth and joy shined like a treasure. I loathed to imagine the Zarovich line sprout from Sergei. Though my youth was squandered I delved deep into the study of alchemy and dark magic. I envied him so deeply, and hated him so intently that I decided to cast off God and my humanity to spite him. Therefore I made a pact with Death to be sealed in my brother’s blood. As Cain struck down Abel and received a curse, so would I, but I was promised eternal life. On the day my brother was to wed Tatyanna, I completed the bargain. I told Sergei that Tatyanna would be mine as I pierced a dagger into his throat and drank from him as he died. His hot blood pulsed frantically into my throat at first, but quickly slowed until his heart grew quiet. It was then I saw in the clouds the face of my mother and father looking down on me with shame. The clouds came down and blocked the sun. The mists fell around the land, trapping me here. That was the last day I saw the sun.

Tatyanna expected Sergei in the castle chapel, but I stood in his place. She asked where her fiance was, and I told her that he had been killed, and his final wish was for me to wed her in his place. That he wished her to be Tatyanna von Zarovich and continue his line the only way now possible. In grief she wept. Perhaps my enjoyment of her misery was somehow seen on my face, as she saw immediately through my ruse. I tried to tell her she was mad with grief as she climbed higher to the parapets to escape me. I told her she was to be mine, and her only reply was to throw herself a thousand feet down to her death. My vow to Sergei that she would be mine haunts me still. Her body was never found, and I find myself infatuated with never being able to complete my spite against him.

The soldier Longinus that came with Sergie had failed to keep my mother safe in her journey. For this failure I would have justice. I told Longinus Markovia of my brother’s fate, and showed him the powers granted to me by my pact with Death. To my surprise, he had relics that wounded me greatly. A whip and a spear that he kept with him always. He escaped and consecrated a place near Krezk where he gathered forces to fight against me, some were even of my own guard who he convinced of my sin against my brother. I was prepared for his return though, and have spent many nights in the crypts enjoying the sweet music of his tortured screams. My only regret is that I could not track down the last of his followers which took his relics from our final battle and hid them beyond my reach.

My studies have taught me much about my curse. I am called “Vampyr,” though I am more powerful than any other of the sort. When I had first conquered this land there were three ancient places of power that I had learned of with my dark magic. In life before my curse I had bound these places to me with elder rituals. The mountains, the swamp and the woods all gave me their power. This is the power I used to call Death and make the pact that would seal my fate and allow me to walk forever in neither life or death, but something in between. The nymphs that guarded each place all fell under my will. When I became cursed, their bodies twisted as did their minds. They have become insane witches. They will still listen to my commands, but I can see a spark of hatred in them for how my curse has changed not only the land, but has corrupted their very beings. They would see me destroyed, but I believe such may be impossible. They cannot release the lands power from me on their own, and each secret place gives me vitality, supernatural speed, and incredible willpower. A stake in my heart only denies me movement, and with the power of the land I believe that even direct sunlight will not fully destroy me. In my attempts to test my immortality I have found that my form can retreat deep beneath the castle to rest among the crypt I had prepared for myself in life, not far from that of my mother and father. I shall seal shut the walls of the stairs that none may disturb me.

I have learned much in the ways of alchemy since I have embraced the night. I have completed forming an extremely rare and powerful stone. In one of the towers of Ravenloft it hovers in the form of a giant heart. I did not expect that when I placed it there it would affect the castle the way it has. It seems to slowly be turning the castle walls to some living construct. As its power grows, so too does my own. It protects me, and no harm can come to me while it still beats.

Where once I conquered lands, now I can only conquer people. Fortunately, the Vistani bring in foreigners into my land. It is they who give me the most joy in this trivial existence. Perhaps eventually one will come with enough power to replace me, but I think this is most likely impossible. I am cursed to remain in this prison for all eternity. What good are my accomplishments in life and beyond if I cannot extend my hand beyond these mists?

Years before by curse, when my army was still fighting the last of my enemies in this valley I was struck a wound that would have killed a lesser man. I was dying but was rescued by a group of Vistani. They not only nursed me back to health but delivered me safely back to my camp. As a reward, I spoke this oath to them: “All Vistani have the right to come and go from my lands as they please, now and forever.” I have always honored this. The Vistani value family as I do, and I envy them their freedom and love of life. Only they can pass the mists, and without them bringing in fresh blood, my existence would become increasingly boring. Sometimes I must take long slumbers and awaken to a fresh generation for a decent challenge in this land that is cut off from the rest of the world.
Igor the Henchman
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: Tome of Strahd

Post by Igor the Henchman »

Nice re-write. I do think Strahd loses flavor without Tatyana, but you explained your reasons very well. Good job!