Fleshing out Sanguinia

Discussing all things Ravenloft
Five
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: Fleshing out Sanguinia

Post by Five »

brilliantlight: What are Mircea's long-term and short-term goals?

I'm filling in backstory for my version of him as we speak; it's really irrelevant for the adventure I'm working on, so it's never been a "gotta get it done" thing with me.

Right now I'm thinking that his short-term goal is the same as his long-term goal, and that is "FTW, I need to find a cure for this thing". That could change some, depending on the time period I assign for his DP embrace.

I like the idea of him being half-mad and twisted up inside with self-loathing, but I like his potential even more.

If he can ever find it in him to tear himself from the mirror (that is, self-loathing) then he can develop quite nicely. If he does that, and chooses to become a ruler...my god. Here we have a potential future Plague Lord that will undoubtedly develop an intense and irrational hatred for the "Unpure". Yeah, it's likely that he'll spin things around so that he sits on top again. It's his narcissism reborn. And if he finds out about the magic that is keeping his plague in check then his obsessive-compulsive nature will become focused on destroying it, and all those who are maintaining it, completely and utterly. Once that is done then he can begin the path to DL enlightenment: learn about the other domains, and hatch a plot (plague) that will transform the entire world into one picture-perfect party...with him being the center of attention again.

But to get that far he needs a catalyst for change. A love interest? Somebody who loves him for who he really is (as twisted as that may be)? Somebody who maintains the illusion in an attempt at grabbing power? Somebody with an equal or greater hatred for humanity? Somebody like Lady Adeline? If she and Von Kharkov ever have a falling out and she ends up wandering RL...-shiver-

But that's my potential version of Mircea. What about yours?
"A very piteous thing it was to see such a quantity of dead bodies, and such an outpouring of blood - that is, if they had not been enemies of the Christian faith."

- Jean Pierre Sarrasin, "The Memoirs of the Lord of Joinville"
brilliantlight
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by brilliantlight »

Five wrote:What are Mircea's long-term and short-term goals?

I'm filling in backstory for my version of him as we speak; it's really irrelevant for the adventure I'm working on, so it's never been a "gotta get it done" thing with me.

Right now I'm thinking that his short-term goal is the same as his long-term goal, and that is "FTW, I need to find a cure for this thing". That could change some, depending on the time period I assign for his DP embrace.

I like the idea of him being half-mad and twisted up inside with self-loathing, but I like his potential even more.

If he can ever find it in him to tear himself from the mirror (that is, self-loathing) then he can develop quite nicely. If he does that, and chooses to become a ruler...my god. Here we have a potential future Plague Lord that will undoubtedly develop an intense and irrational hatred for the "Unpure". Yeah, it's likely that he'll spin things around so that he sits on top again. It's his narcissism reborn. And if he finds out about the magic that is keeping his plague in check then his obsessive-compulsive nature will become focused on destroying it, and all those who are maintaining it, completely and utterly. Once that is done then he can begin the path to DL enlightenment: learn about the other domains, and hatch a plot (plague) that will transform the entire world into one picture-perfect party...with him being the center of attention again.

But to get that far he needs a catalyst for change. A love interest? Somebody who loves him for who he really is (as twisted as that may be)? Somebody who maintains the illusion in an attempt at grabbing power? Somebody with an equal or greater hatred for humanity? Somebody like Lady Adeline? If she and Von Kharkov ever have a falling out and she ends up wandering RL...-shiver-
I like these ideas except he probably only cares about a cure for himself. What does he care about some miserable peasants (As he sees them) dying by some filthy disease?

As i see it, he is already on top. No one else is ruling the domain, are they? I see him searching for a way to break the curse the first three weeks and getting more and more involved in the fair until the 30th. On the 30th when it hits its height he stays away because of the disease.

A love interest would be good, it would be make it tougher on the 30th when he has to be apart from his lover. It would have to be a true love not just one out of a series of affairs otherwise he wouldn't care.
Five
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Five »

brilliantlight wrote:he probably only cares about a cure for himself. What does he care about some miserable peasants (As he sees them) dying by some filthy disease?
He doesn't. And I would think that he never will. Yet that doesn't mean that he won't, at some point in his unnaturally long "life", at least play the part.

Just brainstorming some general, quick/potential uses for Mircea here, and keep in mind that he is a vampire (strain). Time is on his side.

Let's say he breaks out of his self-pity/self-hatred and decides, one way or another, to actually begin (actively) ruling Sanguinia. Years or decades have passed and he now knows of lands beyond his. Perhaps it's through travellers, perhaps through subjugation (corruption) of the local mystics/etc. It doesn't matter really, for he now knows. And he also knows that his is a backwater realm. Be it through isolation, technology, economic, it doesn't really matter. He's not happy being anything less than looked up to, and this doesn't bode well for his ego. At all. So he needs to come up with a way to expand his holdings (actually swell his head, but potatoe-potato).

One way is for him to actually play a card that will benefit him on multiple fronts. He is still obsessed with finding a cure for himself. That won't change within his first century or two, or maybe it won't change; depends on whether or not he gets that catalyst of change or not. As well as the DM. ;) Either way, he needs to up his knowledge of diseases and what better way than to establish a hospital of sorts? Or, a medieval Center for Disease Control. He begins to work on actually controlling his/the initial plague, bringing its lethal dose down to negligible levels...if not for any other reason than to establish medical precedence, or, to foundation his needed expansion of his alchemy skills. Here he dives in to find a cure for himself by experimenting on patients, and learning from those doctors and alchemists that he has hired on. And here he possibly begins work on seeding future plans (Plague Lord), even if it's only yet on a subconscious level.

It's admittedly reminiscent of Dominia/Heinfroth, but because Mircea is still breaking out of his icy exile, and coupled with the fact that he is a vampire with plenty of time it's a start. And it's meant to be a sort of disposable use for Mircea/Sanguinia. The way I see him, Mircea needs to learn from the school of hard knocks, yet when he does it's something...not good for others. At all.

Eventually adventurers will expose Mircea and/or his plans (is he clever enough to set somebody up as the fall guy?), but this only causes Mircea to double-down on his hatred. Years/decades/generations more pass, enough time to fail at other less obtrusive ventures but at the same time ones that stick in his craw real hateful-like, and here is probably where he begins to reverse his experimentation and where he begins to radically up the lethal dose, and where he begins viewing the healthy as being "Unpure". He begins to embrace his plague-ridden body. And this is where Lady Adeline (or simulacrum) cultivates his already huge sense of self. It's a regeneration of sorts for Mircea. Well, a bringing of his human mind and indulgences to the surface anyway. And the old Mircea always did love a good party. And masquerades were his favorite by far.

Yes, a masquerade must be planned. The greatest yet. And he simply must send out very special invitations to the elite of the surrounding countries. But only the very prettiest ones. Those few that can be "complimented" by his unrivalled makeover skills. And together, they shall bring beauty back into the world...

Again, these are nothing but hip shots at potential uses for Mircea/Sanguinia. They may not be of use to you, will probably change with me, but maybe somebody out there will perhaps, hopefully, see some use in this domain. If they don't already. :)
"A very piteous thing it was to see such a quantity of dead bodies, and such an outpouring of blood - that is, if they had not been enemies of the Christian faith."

brilliantlight
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by brilliantlight »

Five wrote:
brilliantlight wrote:he probably only cares about a cure for himself. What does he care about some miserable peasants (As he sees them) dying by some filthy disease?
He doesn't. And I would think that he never will. Yet that doesn't mean that he won't, at some point in his unnaturally long "life", at least play the part.

Just brainstorming some quick/potential uses for Mircea here, and keep in mind that he is a vampire (strain). Time is on his side.

Let's say he breaks out of his self-pity/self-hatred and decides, one way or another, to actually begin (actively) ruling Sanguinia. Years or decades have passed and he now knows of lands beyond his. Perhaps it's through travellers, perhaps through subjugation (corruption) of the local mystics/etc. It doesn't matter really, for he now knows. And he also knows that his is a backwater realm. Be it through isolation, technology, economic, it doesn't really matter. He's not happy being anything less than looked up to, and this doesn't bode well for his ego. At all. So he needs to come up with a way to expand his holdings (actually swell his head, but potatoe-potato).

One way is for him to actually play a card that will benefit him on multiple fronts. He is still obsessed with finding a cure for himself. That won't change within his first century or two, or maybe it won't change; depends on whether or not he gets that catalyst of change or not. As well as the DM. ;) Either way, he needs to up his knowledge of diseases and what better way than to establish a hospital of sorts? Or, a medieval Center for Disease Control. He begins to work on actually controlling his/the initial plague, bringing its lethal dose down to negligible levels...if not for any other reason than to establish medical precedence, or, to foundation his needed expansion of his alchemy skills. Here he dives in to find a cure for himself by experimenting on patients, and learning from those doctors and alchemists that he has hired on. And here he possibly begins work on seeding future plans (Plague Lord), even if it's only yet on a subconscious level.

It's admittedly reminiscent of Dominia/Heinfroth, but because Mircea is still breaking out of his icy exile, and coupled with the fact that he is a vampire with plenty of time it's a start. And it's meant to be a sort of disposable use for Mircea/Sanguinia. The way I see him, Mircea needs to learn from the school of hard knocks, yet when he does it's something...not good for others. At all.

Eventually adventurers will expose Mircea and/or his plans (is he clever enough to set somebody up as the fall guy?), but this only causes Mircea to double-down on his hatred. Years/decades/generations more pass, enough time to fail at other less obtrusive ventures but at the same time ones that stick in his craw real hateful-like, and here is probably where he begins to reverse his experimentation and where he begins to radically up the lethal dose, and where he begins viewing the healthy as being "Unpure". He begins to embrace his plague-ridden body. And this is where Lady Adeline (or simulacrum) cultivates his already huge sense of self. It's a regeneration of sorts for Mircea. Well, a bringing of his human mind and indulgences to the surface anyway. And the old Mircea always did love a good party. And masquerades were his favorite by far.

Yes, a masquerade must be planned. The greatest yet. And he simply must send out very special invitations to the elite of the surrounding countries. But only the very prettiest ones. Those few that can be "complimented" by his unrivalled makeover skills. And together, they shall bring beauty back into the world...

Again, these are nothing but hip shots at potential uses for Mircea/Sanguinia. They may not be of use to you, will probably change with me, but maybe somebody out there will perhaps, hopefully, see some use in this domain. If they don't already. :)

I don't see him ever considering healthy people as "Unpure" but rather the opposite. Remember he is normal 29 out of at least 30 days (depending on the year length of his domain, it has to have at least 30 day months for it to work) and wants to be normal the other day. He doesn't want to break the curse and then fall prey to the disease naturally. The idea of hospitals and medical research centers are good. Most likely the majority comes out better in than out as he wants to lure in more people. The one he experiments on are "too far gone to cure".
Five
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Five »

brilliantlight wrote:
I don't see him ever considering healthy people as "Unpure" but rather the opposite. Remember he is normal 29 out of at least 30 days (depending on the year length of his domain, it has to have at least 30 day months for it to work) and wants to be normal the other day. He doesn't want to break the curse and then fall prey to the disease naturally. The idea of hospitals and medical research centers are good. Most likely the majority comes out better in than out as he wants to lure in more people. The one he experiments on are "too far gone to cure".
My apologies, but I'm loosely developing my version of Mircea while trying to drop potentials for yours. I think this was one of those instances where I got carried away a little too much with mine.

Yours is "human" 29/30 days. Mine lost his human appearance altogether. Your Sanguina broke the eternal winter (or never had it), while mine never (depending on your timeline insertion).

Either way, I'll try to keep things a little more general in the future. Less...cluster that way. ;)

brilliantlight
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by brilliantlight »

Five wrote:
brilliantlight wrote:
My apologies, but I'm loosely developing my version of Mircea while trying to drop potentials for yours. I think this was one of those instances where I got carried away a little too much with mine.

Yours is "human" 29/30 days. Mine lost his human appearance altogether. Your Sanguina broke the eternal winter (or never had it), while mine never (depending on your timeline insertion).

Either way, I'll try to keep things a little more general in the future. Less...cluster that way. ;)
OK, that makes sense.
Five
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Five »

Why did he turn into a vrykolaka? I assume it ties in with his curse..?

What are his relations like with Vorostokov? The people are moving to Sanguinia due to its warmer climate, but are they welcomed by the Prince and the people?

brilliantlight
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by brilliantlight »

Five wrote:Why did he turn into a vrykolaka? I assume it ties in with his curse..?

What are his relations like with Vorostokov? The people are moving to Sanguinia due to its warmer climate, but are they welcomed by the Prince and the people?
Yes, it has to do with his curse. First it makes him look horrible and he is vain about his looks and second he is a "sick" vampire. Although it doesn't effect his combat abilities he has a headache, has muscle spasms, pain in the joints and feels nauseous that whole day. As such he really dreads it.

His relations with Vorostov is indifferent , he doesn't care much about it either way. They do welcome the newcomers as they need to repopulate.
Five
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Five »

What led to his curse? As in, why did the DPs take note of him?

I don't see that in your profile of him...

brilliantlight
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by brilliantlight »

Five wrote:What led to his curse? As in, why did the DPs take note of him?

I don't see that in your profile of him...
He threw his infected friends over the wall during the plague and experimented on others once he caught it as usual.
Five
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Five »

Ok, so you fluffed the domain but left what little is written about him intact. Gotcha.

Pizza
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Post by Pizza »

brilliantlight wrote:
Five wrote:I've been doing a bit of tinkering with the Frozen Reaches myself. But I seem to be shredding as much as I'm gelling. Something is never quite right with my narrative-cum-adventure.

I'll post some existing ideas here not to derail your thread or ideas, but just to compare notes so to speak. And I'll try to keep it brief. :)

Vorostokov. My version is based largely on my interpretation of TSR's Wilderness Survival Guide. And for my adventure needs I meshed the video game "The Long Dark" with Zolnik and company (werewolves) replacing the wolves. In other words, it's survival (skill) based with very gritty combat. I kept most of canon Vorostokov intact, but what I did tinker with was its relationship with Sanguinia. And that relationship is that both are the same realm. The domains are split only because of its dark lords. And that came about because I thought it'd be cool for the occasional Zolnik henchman to have a chained vrykolaka, half-starving and wild, act like a bloodhound...:)
Interesting, I changed the domain the way I did because, as I said in the thread, a six month summer would explain why they aren't all starving to death. Also that is what the Arctic is like in real life. As a "weekend in Hell" like Ravenloft was origninally designed as the original version works fine but as a long term domain it asks too many questions on why anyone is still alive. About the only thing I could think of with people surviving a perpetual winter is to make it survive on fishing and whaling. But that would turn it into an Inuit domain not a Russian one. However you could go that route too and it would work.
You could have reindeer or musk ox or to use a DnD animal rothe herders. That’s still not Russian culture, but there are cultures like that adjacent to the Russian cultural sphere (and politically speaking have long been part of the Russian state).