Campaign idea: The Mistlands Tourist Guide

Discussing all things Ravenloft
brilliantlight
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Campaign idea: The Mistlands Tourist Guide

Post by brilliantlight »

Basically the tourist guide is an outfit that sends people out to explore the Mists. Basically it is a campaign where you can have your homebrew domains or more obscure domains playtested. If you want to see how your domain might work if someone else ran it, join in and I will run it for you.
brilliantlight
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: Campaign idea: The Mistlands Tourist Guide

Post by brilliantlight »

Nobody is interested in seeing their domain tested out by some other than themselves to see how it works outside their own domain?
Zilfer
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Zilfer »

I'm not too sure how many people have homebrewed their own domains. I once had a domain that was accessed through the "Door to Hell" where it lead to a kingdom with a high wall. Odd thing about it is there was one large city with a wall, and the rest was rural but mostly abandoned. The city would be kinda like Richemulot in that almost everyone had disappeared for some reason in the past, and despite signs of people having lived throughout the city it looked like everyone had just dropped things in the middle of doing them and just disappeared. I hadn't gotten as far as what the curse on the place was but figured the creepy feeling of so many people being gone with no bodies that could be found would amp up the creep factor. :P
There's always something to lose.

Fraternity of Shadows Discord
https://discord.gg/AM6Kp95ekf
brilliantlight
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by brilliantlight »

Zilfer wrote:I'm not too sure how many people have homebrewed their own domains. I once had a domain that was accessed through the "Door to Hell" where it lead to a kingdom with a high wall. Odd thing about it is there was one large city with a wall, and the rest was rural but mostly abandoned. The city would be kinda like Richemulot in that almost everyone had disappeared for some reason in the past, and despite signs of people having lived throughout the city it looked like everyone had just dropped things in the middle of doing them and just disappeared. I hadn't gotten as far as what the curse on the place was but figured the creepy feeling of so many people being gone with no bodies that could be found would amp up the creep factor. :P
I would be surprised if most people don't, I have 5 myself. In any case I could run that domain if you wish.
Zilfer
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Zilfer »

Heh, it's not really fleshed out but your free to use the idea if you want. I only got as far as having three NPC's a sort of Seer hiding away and blind, a very odd acting Jester who was the King's only remaining servant. You have 5 homebrew domains? That is a lot! At least IMO.

brilliantlight
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by brilliantlight »

Zilfer wrote:Heh, it's not really fleshed out but your free to use the idea if you want. I only got as far as having three NPC's a sort of Seer hiding away and blind, a very odd acting Jester who was the King's only remaining servant. You have 5 homebrew domains? That is a lot! At least IMO.
I expect so but I have been running the game for over 5 years. Probably 7 or 8 I imagine.
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Gonzoron of the FoS »

Some people like to homebrew their own domains. Some people like to use the existing ones. I've been DMing Ravenloft for maybe 25 years now. The one domain I can think of that I made was basically just a gimmick. ("While wandering the mists, you find a circular clearing. Inside is a huge tower, surrounded by swirling, screaming spirits." "OK.... let's go around.") (Unless you count my version of Demise, which wasn't really homebrew, just a large expansion to what was already there.) Aside from that, I've always stuck to canon domains.
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."
Zilfer
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Zilfer »

^Pretty much the same for me in my table top games. Only thing I sometimes change is cannon. That's because I believe every Ravenloft Campaign is different! :)