AAA Need a Lightlord for Dementlieu

Discussing all things Ravenloft
Mistmaster
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

AAA Need a Lightlord for Dementlieu

Post by Mistmaster »

I thought on it for a time, and my idea for the Lightlord of Dementlieu (See my Take on Ravenloft part one and two) does not convince me enought. So I ask for an help; Can any of you who knows the setting better than me purpose me an interesting character of good alignement who could serve as a foil for Dominic d'Honaire evil schemes?
Mistmaster
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: AAA Need a Lightlord for Dementlieu

Post by Mistmaster »

So? No ideas? You all know the setting better than me, you surly would know some fitting character, come on, please.
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Gonzoron of the FoS »

I haven't read your threads in full (sorry), so I'm not sure what you're looking for in terms of a "Lightlord". Is it simply someone very Good who lives in the domain and opposes the darklord?

For Dementlieu, the one that stands out is Alanik Ray, the great detective. He has only recently started to pick up on the shadow war between Dominic and the Brain, but given time, he should be able to work out what's going on, and eventually oppose them both.
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."
Mistmaster
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Mistmaster »

Alanik Ray was not Lawful/Neutral?However, I could surely use him; however, the Lightlord is the one selected by the Dark Powers to balance the evil of the Darklord; You remember my version of Sergei? He is a Lightlord. Lightlords are my way to affirm Dark Powers as neutral balancing the evil that the innocent inhabitants of the domains would suffer if left alone with an evil, unstoppable being; theyr powers and influence match the Darklord's, sort of, but they have self imposed limitations, called "Lightlord's burden". It works more or less like a Darklord curse, but it is totally based on the will of the lord to endure it oe less. Lightlords, usually have the power to destroy the Darklord, but can't use it, without taking theyr place. Rarely they need to find a way to destroy a Darklord without a greater evil happening.
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Gonzoron of the FoS »

Ah yes, that's right, I remember the Sergei article now. Didn't put 2 and 2 together there.

Hmm... we'll, you're right, canon Alanik is LN. There's not a lot of pure good in Dementlieu, is there?

I took a quick look through this list:
http://fraternityofshadows.com/wiki/Cat ... Dementlieu

and nothing jumped out at me. Looks like you'll need to make someone up, or twist an existing character like Alanik into a more LG mold.
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."
Mistmaster
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Mistmaster »

I'll do that; my original idea was pointing on the obscure Mad Baron and eventually his descendants. but Alanik Rey works better. Thanks for your contribution, Gonzoron.
The Lesser Evil
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by The Lesser Evil »

I think a natural light mirror for D'Honaire would be one of the Mousel family (if you have Legacy of Blood), basically a Mordentish extension of the D'Honaire clan that has turned into a family that uses hypnotism/psychology to help people, rather than hinder them. They rely upon interviews and talking with people to diagnose symptoms.

Another lightlord might come from the Noble Brotherhood of Assassins (an ironic name of mostly peaceful saboteurs that use pranks and humiliation to fight the evil depredations of the Dementlieuse upper class. They're in Heroes of Light, IIRC. Or check the wiki first to get a basic gist.
Mistmaster
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Mistmaster »

Wasn't the Mad Baron the founder of that Brotherood?