Netherese in Ravenloft

Discussing all things Ravenloft
Buzzclaw
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Netherese in Ravenloft

Post by Buzzclaw »

I don't know how many of you guys read Forgotten Realms stuff but there's a period of time in the setting's distant past when magic was insanely powerful (11th-level spells) and humans created an ultra-magical empire called Netheril.

Anyway, the Netheril sourcebooks mention that while researching the demiplane of shadow some arcanists (proto-wizards) found "the Demiplane of Imprisonment" and were "snatched by the mists". This sound like Ravenloft to me but I was wondering if there were any Ravenloft materials that touched on this subject.
Dion of the Fraternity
Lurker Maximus
Lurker Maximus

Re: Netherese in Ravenloft

Post by Dion of the Fraternity »

The Demiplane of Imprisonment (Tharizdun's prison) is different from the Demiplane of Dread (Ravenloft).
"Most cutters call this fabled place the Demiplane of Imprisonment, but more than a few planewalkers confuse it with the Demiplane of Dread. As far as the most learned sages can determine, the two are entirely different domains."
- Planescape: A Guide to the Ethereal Plane
Buzzclaw
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Post by Buzzclaw »

Thanks for the clarification. That's a shame though, Netherese stumbling through Ravenloft could be an interesting scenario.
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Make it so.
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

-from Moby Dick (Hermann Melville)
tomokaicho
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by tomokaicho »

They could definitely stumble upon Ravenloft. For example, in one of the Strahd novels by P.N. Elrod, Strahd comes across people that entered the mists from his homeworld. Yet they seem to have entered in from all different time periods, which means that on being captured by the mists, there is also a time travel effect that sends them to Ravenloft. So while Netheril existed thousands of years ago, they could be deposited in Current Year Ravenloft.

That said, a Netherese epic spellcaster will find his magical abilities neutered, based on the magic ratings of the various realms. I don't know of any realm that allows the casting of epic spells. Perhaps someone can chime in here with more information.
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

Buzzclaw wrote:Thanks for the clarification. That's a shame though, Netherese stumbling through Ravenloft could be an interesting scenario.
Wait, in canon Shade was in Ravenloft... I've seen it in a product clearly mentioning Ravenloft. I don't recall the darklord and it was a small piece. But I'm 99% sure it was there.
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
"I am not mad, no matter what you're implying." - Litalia
My DMGuild work!
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

alhoon wrote:
Buzzclaw wrote:Thanks for the clarification. That's a shame though, Netherese stumbling through Ravenloft could be an interesting scenario.
Wait, in canon Shade was in Ravenloft... I've seen it in a product clearly mentioning Ravenloft. I don't recall the darklord and it was a small piece. But I'm 99% sure it was there.
Oh?
Cool!

Shadowsssssss
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

Dion of the Fraternity
Lurker Maximus
Lurker Maximus

Post by Dion of the Fraternity »

alhoon wrote:Wait, in canon Shade was in Ravenloft... I've seen it in a product clearly mentioning Ravenloft. I don't recall the darklord and it was a small piece. But I'm 99% sure it was there.
You might want to be more specific about what canon product you got this info from; Ed Greenwood's Grand History of the Realms show that Shade/Thulanthar was shifted into the Plane of Shadow before the fall of Netheril, and has remained there until shortly before the Spellplague. There are no clear references to Thulanthar being pulled into Ravenloft.

The only other mention of a Shade/Ravenloft connection comes from another thread here on this website, where by the way you mention the exact same premise you just stated, but without any clear references.
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Ravenloft is part of the Plane of Shadow in 4e, though, no?

Shadowfell= Plane of Shadow

alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

And 5e I think.
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
"I am not mad, no matter what you're implying." - Litalia
My DMGuild work!
tomokaicho
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by tomokaicho »

Shade was in the Plane of Shadows, according to the novel. But if having Shade in Ravenloft is your thing, it could be there.
Zilfer
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Zilfer »

Would these shades you are talking about perhaps be the Shadovar? (Younger dnder here! XD)
There's always something to lose.

Fraternity of Shadows Discord
https://discord.gg/AM6Kp95ekf
Ender
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Ender »

Zilfer wrote:Would these shades you are talking about perhaps be the Shadovar? (Younger dnder here! XD)
I believe they're referring to the City of Shade.
Resonant Curse
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Resonant Curse »

The city of Shade was moved into the Plane of Shadow. Shades (the race of people living there) are Netherese who over generations had part of their essence replaced by Shadow and are called Shadovar. But yes, the city ended up in the greater Plane of Shadow, not Ravenloft.