Sex roles and related social matter in your campaign

Discussing all things Ravenloft
tomokaicho
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: Sex roles and related social matter in your campaign

Post by tomokaicho »

The way I view the Dark Powers is that they punish transgressive behavior, such as violation of cultural taboos. Now in order to get a powers check, the person committing the transgression has to believe that they are transgressing, breaking taboos, or otherwise going against their ethics, religion, or beliefs. So in a domain like Dementlieu, a 'modern woman' may be fine, but in a place like Valachan a 'modern woman' may need to make a powers check.
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

tomokaicho wrote:The way I view the Dark Powers is that they punish transgressive behavior, such as violation of cultural taboos. Now in order to get a powers check, the person committing the transgression has to believe that they are transgressing, breaking taboos, or otherwise going against their ethics, religion, or beliefs. So in a domain like Dementlieu, a 'modern woman' may be fine, but in a place like Valachan a 'modern woman' may need to make a powers check.
That might help explain the range of CLs in the Core.
If people are afraid of foreign ways...
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

-from Moby Dick (Hermann Melville)
Zilfer
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Zilfer »

You have an interesting point actually, for explaining the CL's. I think I like it. :) Not sure it will ever come up in my games but we'll see.
There's always something to lose.

Fraternity of Shadows Discord
https://discord.gg/AM6Kp95ekf
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Same. I probably wouldn't use it, but I think it could work with Tomochaiko's idea.

IMC, DP checks are pretty much by the book. Breaking religious vows and important taboos may count, but I interpret this more narrowly than Tomochaiko, I think. But, as always, the Powers serve the DM.

I'd count adultery as a powers check worthy act in many cases, as it could often involve premediated deception of a loved one/good-aligned character, breaking a sacred vow (if that applies), betrayal ,etc..

As per the usual rules, some spells that are not evil-aligned but nonetheless violate barriers between the living and the dead merit checks. Raise dead, for example.

Ordinary social pressures, some legal or customary constraints, and practical concerns suffice to reinforce whatever gender/sex patterns make sense for any given domain, IMC.
Not that I worry about it too much. It's background flavor, but sometimes matters for story--mostly with NPCs.
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

-from Moby Dick (Hermann Melville)