Advices for role-playing?

Discussing all things Ravenloft
Nox
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Advices for role-playing?

Post by Nox »

Hi All!

I'd like to ask a few question on some role-playing situations /encounters.

1)lets say you have a player who is aggressive and always try to overcome npcs encounter with threats, brutality, or just bad manners. Sometimes this can work (for example when he is talking to a poor commoner), but it won't work with guard captain or a powerful noble, for example.
I'd like to know how you react to those situation, and what could be the proper reaction to similar circumstances (try to use different kind of npc: noble, authoritarian, powerful, weak, sneaky).

2)lets say pc break some local law, how do you proceed form there? Do you establish if someone see them when they do it or do you just suppose they have been seen if someone is around?
If they get caught, what could be the punishments for their actions?
Fact is I'm not good at punishing the characters even if they should be punished, and I don't know how to proceed in those situation.
Try to be as clear and consider what to do after the punishment. (for example if someone is caught stealing, he could be imprisoned. After I got him imprisoned, what should I do? Should I let him escape? Should I leave him I prison? How long?

I think that the punishment should cause some harm to the character (xp loss? Gold loss? Item loss? Amputation? Etc). Putting someone in prison and having the party waiting in the tavern until he gets out seems pointless to me..

3)I have troubles in keeping the the conversation in my favor when role-playing. Often happens that npc end up being at the player disposal or submissed. Maybe due to good roleplay of the player, maybe due to lucky diplomacy check, or other social skills. I'd like to make the players feels like if they were really talking to a king, or captain or other important npc. In those situation usually is the king who's posing questions and the player are being interrogated, not the other way.
I hope you understand this last question :)

Thank you an advance
brilliantlight
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: Advices for role-playing?

Post by brilliantlight »

Nox wrote:Hi All!

1)lets say you have a player who is aggressive and always try to overcome npcs encounter with threats, brutality, or just bad manners. Sometimes this can work (for example when he is talking to a poor commoner), but it won't work with guard captain or a powerful noble, for example.
I'd like to know how you react to those situation, and what could be the proper reaction to similar circumstances (try to use different kind of npc: noble, authoritarian, powerful, weak, sneaky).

2)lets say pc break some local law, how do you proceed form there? Do you establish if someone see them when they do it or do you just suppose they have been seen if someone is around?
If they get caught, what could be the punishments for their actions?
Fact is I'm not good at punishing the characters even if they should be punished, and I don't know how to proceed in those situation.
Try to be as clear and consider what to do after the punishment. (for example if someone is caught stealing, he could be imprisoned. After I got him imprisoned, what should I do? Should I let him escape? Should I leave him I prison? How long?

I think that the punishment should cause some harm to the character (xp loss? Gold loss? Item loss? Amputation? Etc). Putting someone in prison and having the party waiting in the tavern until he gets out seems pointless to me..

3)I have troubles in keeping the the conversation in my favor when role-playing. Often happens that npc end up being at the player disposal or submissed. Maybe due to good roleplay of the player, maybe due to lucky diplomacy check, or other social skills. I'd like to make the players feels like if they were really talking to a king, or captain or other important npc. In those situation usually is the king who's posing questions and the player are being interrogated, not the other way.
I hope you understand this last question :)

Thank you an advance
1) Dark Powers checks. After he turns into a monster he might change his ways.
2) Dark Powers checks plus heavy fines which may well include item losses if he can't pay the fines
3) Remind the players who actually is in charge if I read your problem correctly. Have the captain/king order their arrest which they then follow with heavy fines.
Dark Angel
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Dark Angel »

Nox wrote:Hi All!

Thank you an advance
I would like to think my players are not purposely difficult, but they also can smell a railroaded adventure fairly easy. I however work/worked with children of all ages and am used to dealing with difficult types. It seems they feel they can push their weight around and get away with murder (figuratively). I will try to give examples where domains are not the primary answer (Lamordia would react far differently than Barovia). I will also try to avoid relating to the game setting where they stay in one area or move about the Core. FYI- I don't penalize a PC for 'acting in character', but I for sure don't reward them in-game when natural consequences will manifest.

1) A player that strong arms NPCs may incur Powers Checks, but don't bet on that. Assuming that they actually require a service (innkeeper, smith, healer, etc) they may refuse to do so out of sheer spite or faint in fear of danger (they get checks too). When they get to a person that they actually need to interact with, make a check (whatever you deem fit) to have their behaviors/description be recognized and they get outright denied the help they need. Even their companions will be hard pressed to put up with their crap in that situation. Feed the situation further by requiring that persons skills or powers (a priest to cure a terrible disease, a scholar to point them in the next direction, etc). I had a group of players harass some random woman (low level mage) in the inn in the first adventure. Guess what I did? I put that NPC in the town they ultimately would be based in as the lord's niece and seneschal. Now she makes their lives as difficult as she can. I did that out of spite! Just because they are weak, doesn't mean they cannot have ties to important people.

In the other descriptors: Noble/authorities? Slap their butt behind bars (after taking their items and money to pay for damages of course) and if they resist? They are now criminals who may be hunted and many not be able to show their faces in civilized areas. If they do have NPC 'allies', they may be in for a rude awakening when they get turn in for a reward. Harsher domains? Limb loss, branding, or even death may be warranted (especially if they are offending, assaulting, or killing the authorities). Powerful? Depends. A high level fighter will likely attack, while a mage or thief would wait for their moment to strike with allies, a plan of attack or when they are weak. You are the one who knows the player weakness. If they are a toe-to-toe fighter, toss an archer at them (make it a vampiric one, they regenerate and good luck having magic missile weapons).

Sneaky? Same thing, except they may just rob them, drug/poison them, humiliate them. It is very petty, but if a thief gets pushed around by someone who they can not defeat physically they may slip them a debilitating poison, steal their magic items or money, or decide to cut holes in the bottoms of their pants. Without knowing more, remember curses are always fun and if they are killing someone with enough emotional energy behind it, guess what? They just earned their own private ghost! All of this without incurring the direct wrath of the local darklord too (game's on when they try to strong arm them).

2) Depending on the law being broken, depending on the domain (the Gazs are perfect here), go with your gut and stick with it. If they are breaking into a house and killing all witnesses (POWERS CHECKS!), have a witness walk in delivering something and have them try to get away. If they are raiding a guard tower, send off an alarm. There are enough ways to have a witness for these event (not all the time, but allow them to become complacent). If they are hunted and captured, slap them in irons and beat the crap out of them (especially if the place is corrupt or the crime particularly heinous). Depending on the severity of crimes themselves, consider if the place is 'civilized' enough to even warrant a trial. Theft? Cut off their hand/finger and call it a day. Assault? Take hot pokers to their skin on their chest and back and see how easy it is to swing a sword with those scars pulling painfully. Murder? Hang them, shoot them, chop their heads off. Religious crimes? Get creative with drowning or burning at the stake. Not all places have prisons and some may just find it easier and cheaper to kill the bastard. Certain places like Barovia may call upon Strahd if they are messing with the peoples, Falkovnia may put them in the gladiator arenas, more 'civilized' places may find them a danger to society (especially if they break out of prison or attack others in prison) and have them committed to an asylum.

Minor things should remain that, minor. Major things should have a response that fits their actions. If they go into town and begin slapping around bar wenches and kicking children, some one will do something about it. Eventually. Have a brute squad encounter ready to go. Write up a bounty hunter to pop in when needed. Introduce them to George Weathermay to show them what a good guy does to bad people. You are reacting the them, but you can be ready to go when they are acting out. Allow them to be complacent. Have them take over a town, kill the locals, make them tremble with fear, take what they want. Depending on the domain, the local guard may take action (Falkovian soldiers still intimidate my players as they are unified, organized, and highly trained), spies may report to authorities (Strahd's Vistani, the obedients of Dementlieu, Kargat of Darkon, etc) and get someone there to handle them, or the most deadly thing a party can encounter: a NPC group of adventurers.

If the player does something to warrant imprisonment, go for it. Depending on the other's actions, they may be joining them too (standing there while he dunks a peasant in the town well is implication as an accessory to the crime). If they resist, fine. Eventually they will get served their dues and land behind bars (knocked unconscious works to avoid those troubling criminals). Have an adventure series where they get captured, sentenced by either a magistrate, military officer, city official. They may get a speedy trial (and likely execution) or a long stay in a prison. Have a series of encounters with inmates, guards, a monster who prowls for easy feeding (bastellus or vampire), have a cult looking to feed their ghoul minions and a willing guardsman looking for easy gold, and so on. If they are really earning a long term prison sentence, have them sent off to a really interesting place where the staff abuses, experiments on, or just places them in a hole where they go mad. Never be afraid to take away a character (especially if it's just one) after giving them a breakdown of their situation (You are in a 5 x 8 cell with a 6" x 8" barred window. You have one stone slab for a bed, a shallow pit for a toilet, and a roommate who looks like he has sharing issues.) and allow them to try to come up with an escape plan (remembering their skill sets and character's intelligence and wisdom scores).

Do not allow them to dictate what should and should not be there or things that they try to take advantage of. They should not be sleeping well, eating well, and violence and isolation should be common thing. If others are willing to try to bust them out, fine. And good luck. If they are not (especially when the player has to roll up a new PC), take the hint they are not really wanted in the party. If and when the PC would be released (depending on the land, the law, and the crime), have them come back to the party broken, weaker (lower strength, dexterity, constitution) and with physical scars (deformities, broken/missing teeth, twisted limbs and back, etc) and maybe even mental one (a roll on the madness table should work). If the player only makes trouble in prison, don't be afraid to have them killed. An inmate, a guard, whatever needs to be done because not only do they not need the trouble, they may not have a system in place to punish guards or inmates for those actions. The rest of the party (assuming they are not in prison too) should be able to continue adventuring (again with a new PC or brooding jerk who is asking the composition of the walls and trying to use Mythbuster techniques (which should be right out) to break out of prison) and doing things and earning treasure and xps.

3) Allow the players to cow the NPCs or intimidate them or charm them (not magically). It's the nature of the game. I am playing a bard, I should have a better chance to sway the innkeeper to allow me to stay in his place for free and eat for free with a few performances from me. A barbarian may not wait for a server and just grab a tankard of ale, giving the bar tender a look that would stop a Doberman. If that is their character, then go with it. If they cross a line (the bard insists the rest of the party also gets the discount or the barbarian smashes the cask in a rage), then deal with it. The local guard is summoned, some good Samaritans try to intervene, the players lose the advantage of their service (that bard may have to find a new place to sleep which is a real problem when the nearest town is 100 miles away). Do not act foolishly. A darklord will likely not be scared by a flexing arm muscle or talked into giving up possessions. An NPC with everything to lose will do what is asked while one with nothing left will lash out and take off the dude's ear. It is hard, but NPC should be dynamic and interesting. I had a fun group that had a mix out very new outsiders and Barovian natives where the outsiders made some comment about Strahd (making fun of his name or something to that effect) and the others were more like, "Whoa, don't be saying or doing something stupid and getting us all killed. You don't know who you are messing with."

I know this is a lot to take in and there are more natural ways to handle difficult players without relying on Powers Checks (totally roll for them though every time!). If you can give specifics about the game system/edition you use, the make up of the party (classes, levels, races, etc), the domains/cities they are in (more detail if they are homebrewed please) and I (and others likely) will offer more detailed and appropriate responses for you. Not gonna lie Nox, always love these questions!
"One does not stop playing when they get old, they grow old when they stop playing" George Bernard Shaw
"If you could be either God’s worst enemy or nothing, which would you choose?" Chuck Palahniuk
Nox
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Nox »

Thank you both for the answers.
In particular:
Dark Angel wrote: I would like to think my players...

I had a fun group that had a mix out very new outsiders and Barovian natives where the outsiders made will offer more detailed and appropriate responses for you. Not gonna lie Nox, always love these questions!
That was a very good answer to my question! I enjoyed a lot reading all you advices and don't worry about the length, I like to read! I was looking exactly for a more roleplay-based solution. I could use powercheck to "force the players on the right way" , but I don't like it, I feel it would be like railroading.

To answer your last questions:
We play on 3.5 D&d, the party is actually composed by three humans:
Aidan, former paladin, lost many levels in the last campaign where they were dealing with an ancient tomb filled of necrotic traps, he is the only survivor. Actually he is a good aligned character, with a problem of alcoholism (caused by his experience in that tomb, and by the memories of friends who have been lost there), but overall a good guy.
Actually he is aristocratic1/warrior 1, he lost his faith after that event since he think that "no God would allow a such malignant place" his father died recently and left him lot of gold. He bought a land in Invidia, and he has a couple of man at his disposal (an henchman and an handyman) waiting there. Actually he is a cold one, and in the future he will probably try to free his friend's souls from the tomb.

Olen is a duskblade human, he follow the path of the monster hunter. I created a school of monster hunter, which I called "cerulean capes" (as you can imagine they wear those cerulean capes/scarf as symbols). This school is located in Mount Baratak (barovia). He usually is the most troublesome. Quite aggressive and a little rude, but overall not evil, even if some of his action could led him to jail or punishment.
To give you an idea:
VIEW CONTENT:
Last session they went to the Constable of Marais d'tarascon and asked for his help and for information. Constable is a busy man and he just lost his son a couple of week ago, so I roleplayed him as "a depressed and busy man" who is trying to save his city from a murderer and hordes of undead. Not exactly a helpful npc for the players.
They got almost no information from him. ALMOST. Olen got mad with the Constable for his answers. With the little Information they had they started searching for clues and found out that there are ghouls who are eating people's in the Tarascon's mansion. They slain them And Olen, still angry with Constable for his rudeness, took a ghoul body and drag it to the Constable house/office. He Just threw it in the corridor right in front of his office's door. I was not sure what a proper reaction to this event should've been, but since there party members just explained the situation (ghouls eating the lost commoner), and since they actually helped the city, Constable didn't jail them. He got angry anyway and demanded them to clean that mess. (feel free to advise me about a better reaction to this particular scene).
Marvin, a young bard from kartakass, studied in the Harmonia hall. Orinda nahle was her teacher (non-canon), I made this to justify his connection with other party member. He is overall a good and pleasant person and usually do not break laws.

The most troublesome, as you can tell, is Olen, although not evil, he doesn't care that much of laws and authority.
Don't get me wrong, I like his character and his personality, he's spicy, and those things adds a lot to Roleplaying, but I am not an expert in those situation yet
As I said they are actually in Souragne (Marais d'Tarascon) but they will travel a lot during our campaign since I am following the events of the great conjunction and the subsequent grim harvest (adventures are being revised. I will not follow the modules as written, I use them As guidelines instead to build my own adventure.)

They will visit darkon, har'kir, kartakass, and many other countries. They have a solid base in Invidia (where Aidan has his land, house and men) in which they will return to restore, get gear, and so on.

I don't like power checks. I tend to use them sparingly and usually only for very evil things... Do you think I should use them more?

I didn't understand completely what you meant when you said something about Mythbusters :mrgreen:.

I am always afraid of punishing characters since I don't want to take away the fun from the players. For example Olen's player is a bit touchy. I am sure that if I jail him and take his stuff away he will be upset, probably he will try to gain it back, or look for vengeance on the guards.
I don't want to take the fun away, but At the same time there must be consequences for certain actions.
How would you proceed in this situation? I myself think that the best thing to do is to proceed with what have to be done, regardless of how will the player feels about it.

Another question:

Do you have any advice on how to keep an edge during Roleplaying conversation? How to lead the speech?

If you talk to, let's say, a King, you will have some degree of respect for his charge and his power.
For example: I play in another campaign as a player, and the gm (I don't know how) manages to make us player feel the tension when we speak with a ruler or a similar powerful npc. We ponder our word wisely. We are careful not doing anything disrespectful, and so on.

I would like to be able to do so in my campaign.

Recapping:
1)if you have any other advice or example to add to your first answer, feel free to post it since I would be glad to read them.
2)how would you(as constable) react to the ghoul scene?
3) donyou think I should use powerchecks more often?
4) clarify the "mythbuster" part above please :mrgreen:
5) how would you proceed with a touchy player? Should I do what have to be done regardless? (consider we are all adult and vaccinated).
6)advices on how to keep the edge during Roleplaying conversation?
7)how to instill respect/how to awe the players when they are talking to powerful npc?
8) how to react when a player gets rude during roleplay (give rude answer to npc? Please consider many cases with different class of power, for example: farmer/commoner, captain, king, powerful wizard, ancient lich/powerful enemy)
9) why you Said to allow pc to cow/charm npc BUT NOT MAGICALLY? What about the bard ability to entertain an audience (I can't recall the name, it is like "amaze" or fascinate, I don't know the exact traduction :mrgreen:)

Thank you in advance again!
Dark Angel
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Dark Angel »

Nox wrote: Recapping:
1)if you have any other advice or example to add to your first answer, feel free to post it since I would be glad to read them.
2)how would you(as constable) react to the ghoul scene?
3) donyou think I should use powerchecks more often?
4) clarify the "mythbuster" part above please :mrgreen:
5) how would you proceed with a touchy player? Should I do what have to be done regardless? (consider we are all adult and vaccinated).
6)advices on how to keep the edge during Roleplaying conversation?
7)how to instill respect/how to awe the players when they are talking to powerful npc?
8) how to react when a player gets rude during roleplay (give rude answer to npc? Please consider many cases with different class of power, for example: farmer/commoner, captain, king, powerful wizard, ancient lich/powerful enemy)
9) why you Said to allow pc to cow/charm npc BUT NOT MAGICALLY? What about the bard ability to entertain an audience (I can't recall the name, it is like "amaze" or fascinate, I don't know the exact traduction :mrgreen:)

Thank you in advance again!
Not a problem, just keep this in mind: I only play 2nd edition (though am familiar with the basics of 3rd/3.5).

Don't be afraid of Power Checks and remember, they should match the situation. If he fails a check after beating on a commoner he got frustrated with, make his eyes glow when he is mad (a bonus to intimidation checks and maybe some low light vision) but may make him more sensitive to natural light (-1 to skill checks and attacks in sunlight). Minor checks are little ways to show the player that they may not be acting in a 'goodly' fashion (I tend to make a little show of opening up the Domains of Dread book and flipping to the powers check section). The chances are low that they will take hold, but you could say something sinister occurred anyway ("the slight chill along your spine as you relish the cold delight in their suffering distracted you for a moment, but is gone now"). It is not railroading (unless you are actually planning on taking the PC away for falling to darkness). You should look at all your PCs every few levels and consider their actions and skills when thinking if they started to fail checks, what path would they take. It will make it easier, but is not required and should not seem random.

Your party combination seems fine, but they are lacking a cleric/healer. That reputation alone may be their downfall if they come across ancient dead and gain mummy rot. Make that clear that the party actions (even from one player) can negatively affect the way others see the group. Someone is talking to the bard, another person shows up and tells them that they are companions with Olen the Terrible and both run off before they suffer his temper. Olen is almost the worst situation (and I get why this is a significant issue). He is a decent character type with a personality of note that goes off the deep end when frustrated or angry. The other two seem to have good hearts and intentions, but may grow tired of pulling the other guy's butt out of the fire (especially if they have to pay out for bribes, get fined themselves, or imprisoned). Olen is not evil now, but you should move him towards it if that behavior doesn't change. In my games I do not penalize alignment change (if a player is LG and acts more NG, why would I penalize them?), but don't know the ramifications for that change (it's pretty harsh in 2nd edition). I am hoping he is not under the "I'm CN and can do whatever I want" mentality. That can change quick if they are acting malicious toward other not deserving of it.

I just ran Walking Dead last year and am familiar with the constable and see no issue on how he should have been run. He is throwing himself into his work and is suspicious of new foreigners. He will not tell them his life story (it's none of their business) and has to juggle his work as well as keep an eye on them now. That should change and then they become an ally for him and the town (Remember the dwarf that is there to dump a whole bunch of magic gear on the group? Not if they are jerks or word gets around that they are dragging undead into town.). I would have allowed that to play out as you did (assuming roleplaying was done, skill checks rolled, and they actually 'cleaned up their mess' literally). Likely though, they would lose allies in town and (in that adventure) may need to find a new place to sleep. Good luck in Souragne regarding that.

The laws of Invidia should be pretty harsh as they will not have time or energy housing and feeding prisoners and lands may be seized to repay the offenses to whomever is offended. Darkon should be a solid challenge and wake up call as they have a means to deal with the players quickly (again, Kargat officials may take note). Har' Akir will have a problem as the town there is a joke as far as law goes (at least leveled fighters), but remember what I said about mummy rot :D ?

Sorry about the Mythbusters comment, didn't mean to confuse. It was an attempt to not allow players to act on knowledge they would not have (like I need to break out of jail and saw on Mythbusters how to do it!) and cannot act on. I once had a player try to use a flame strike spell to hit a target on the ground and a target in the air using calculus or trigonometry (I don't recall, over 20 years ago, and his PC would have no such background). I have also had players count on the fact that I didn't know some things. I had a PC fireball Falkovnian soldiers on top of a grain silo. It exploded and did far more damage than it should and I commented that's what happens when you set a silo on fire. The player looked at me and said, "yeah I was wondering if you knew that....".

You as a GM need to be impartial. You are not working against the players (your NPCs might be, but not you) and are only there to deliver the details of their world and present a story. The character is kinda asking for trouble and will run into someone who will take them down a notch. I ran an adventure where the group was in a town where they (unknowingly) were surrounded by werewolves. A minor scuffle occurred in an attempt to isolate the players and get them away from their weapons and allies. The local sheriff tried to dissuade the situation and said it was for their own safety and not to worry. Let the town cool down and they would be released in a few hours. My player (playing a fighter) resisted (he had a bad week at work) and was not going along with it. So I had the werewolves take a run at them right away with the sheriff saying, "You just couldn't play along, could you?". My player looked confused and asked if I was kidding. I tend to make stupid little comments, but not this time. So the fight was on, kind of dramatically on a little stone bridge near the center of the lumberjack camp and it worked out kind of well. My player still thinks he 'saved the party' and did them a favor in his attitude.

If you don't keep the player in check or let reason guide your hand, they will do this for a long time and ruin things later on more so. Let them get in trouble. Get their stuff taken away. Make a break for it. Kill some guards. There are reactions for things like that. They lose their belongings, worsen their criminal charges, get executed for killing guards, are on the run and cannot show their faces in the area for a long, long time. If it's not fun for you and the work you put in, then why should you keep doing it (especially if it's making you uncomfortable). If the player begins raping and killing people on a whim, would you take a stance then? I have had players refuse lawmen because they are evil (and they were correct), but not every authority in Ravenloft is evil and out to get the players.

I have a hard time 'taking the role' for my NPCs and I try to do my best not to make them silly (unless that is the point of course). Things to consider are tone and body language. I try to show on myself so my players get a sense of the person they are talking to. When talking to a king, that person may be brooding on a throne and glowering at the players who are bothering him with some stupid plan or requesting something that he won't give them anyway. Or a calculating, penetrating look that is part listening to them and part considering them for some errand that he is less willing to waste men and money on. Or it could be a bored and flippant ruler who has to listen to the whines and quibbles of lessers and is barely even looking at the players. What they all should receive is respect. Unless the players are there for no reason, what they say and do will either help them or get them tossed out on their butts (or into a prison cell). There should be guards, court personnel, and/or those present that wield tremendous power to keep them in line. Assuming the group needs something from these NPCs, the group may have to force the offending player to 'sit this out' to avoid these social issues that he has. Player showing disrespect? Have a few guards grapple them from behind and another two put swords to their throat. Have a seneschal walk up to them and remind them that they are talking to the lord of this land. Wizard or priest present? Have a spell cast to either detain (hold spells, etc) or remove (teleport, dimension door, etc) and hope they don't drop them into the middle of nowhere.

In a lesser example from my table, I had the group (lower level, say around 6-7th level) captured by a hag and her human and ogre minions. They were interrogated individually and the cackling woman revealed herself as a hag. The player was unarmed and was mouthing off to her regarding her questions directed at him. Finally she just gave up, told her minions to beat him into unconsciousness and kill him if he puts up a fight (he was priest, by the way). So he got dragged off and I said they began beating on you, do you resist or fight back? He said no and I said ok. You lose a tooth in the process (I did not roll for each blow or damage, he just got beaten to 0 hit points) and he says that he will use magic to fix it later. I said how are holding onto this tooth? You are knocked out, unless you swallow it and go looking or it later (which he did). A displeased king may take a hot poker and brand the PC with a reminder of what happens to insolent people in his court. Allow the situation to play out and the player to be obnoxious. As they are being lead out, they get pushed into a dungeon area and rushed by guards, slapped in chains and wheeled back to the court after the other players have left. See how belligerent they are lashed to a barrel with a large man whipping their back raw. I hate to be an ass about this, but if they don't respect Baron von Aubreker (of Lamordia, pretty sure I misspelled it too) then Strahd will eat them alive. Literally.

Assuming you sit at a table, when talking in the role of a person of power stand up and walk around slowly. This psychologically sets up your demeanor even if the NPC is sitting. Try to look and act like someone of authority. I like the image of Gandalf the Grey from the Fellowship of the Rings magically altering his presence when Bilbo Baggins is trying to double talk him into keeping the one ring. Booming voice (within reason), turning towards the player/players in a dramatic fashion, describing things they may be seeing, etc all give you authority and presence. Being able to back up what you say with powers, people, monsters, etc. reinforce that. I hate to say this, but if one player is giving your NPCs (and you) this much trouble in game eventually they will run across the wrong person that will end them. Let them act like a tough guy and get the worse of it. Invidians are notorious for their tempers and guy he slighted may not take it well, grab a lantern and smash it over his head (will it ignite? who knows?). Lots of padding in most armors to soak up that oil. How effectively can they fight while on fire and unable to quickly put it out.

Dealing with your 'touchy player' is a little difficult as I do not really know either of you well enough. I have been gaming with the same people for between 15-25 years and I am friends with my players. We hang out socially and game regularly (I even have a player literally phoning it in by having him game via speakerphone 2000 miles away, I trust his die rolls so that is not an issue). I described a player who had a 'rough week' and was not following the adventure path, but it worked out regardless. I know that whatever I do to them, I am still friends with them. I never push them just to push them. I have had NPCs push just to push and they get them back with a vengeance.

I once played a game where I was in a group and I was a ranger (less Aragorn from Lord of the Rings, more like Batman with a sneakier urban approach). We were in a tavern and the bartender was a bastard and slapped a serving girl for spilling a drink (he was setting up the rough atmosphere of the place). What he didn't realize was that I was offended by the action of the man and my other companion (a paladin, go figure) were planning on beating the crap out of this guy and taking the girl under our wing to put her in a better circumstance. The DM had no intention of doing that to us, but he did on accident. He felt guilty, but we didn't hold it against him. He showed us the story, we reacted, he shouldn't feel badly. We are adults, I assume you all are too. If they take it personal when you come down on them for acting out in a way that would not be tolerated, then you can remind them the same thing.

Consider a game like grand theft auto. You do something wrong and you will be arrested, weapons taken away and fined. Put up a fight and they will shoot you, you end up in the hospital, weapons taken away, and fined even more. That's part of the game. If they want to walk around pushing people in the dirt, throwing a fit when things don't go their way, etc and justifying it all by claiming their PC is just acting like they would, then maybe the PC is not a good fit for the setting. If they lose that character and make the same type, then maybe they are not cut out for your table and or the game. I have had many players (and myself) really not care for how they lost a PC and not like their new PC (especially with a loss of levels/beginning at 1st level). Then you play the new one, interact with them, get to do new things or help out in new ways and enjoy the new PC.

When a player is being rude to anyone, allow the situation to dictate your response. A farmer in a field may turn them down for information assistance, run away, or grab a pitchfork. A commoner in a town may be a little more emboldened with assistance from other people or militia and be rude back. Or you could be sick of that behavior from your player and forget to inform the group that the man they are talking down to used to be a volunteer officer during the last invasion from Vlad Drakov's armies. A powerful magic user with a full complement of spells will get creative. Hold them in place and then levitate them upwards until spells run out. Polymorph them so they no longer have a mouth or turn them into a rodent would be humorous too. People with power and authority should have no issue using either to get the respect they deserve. Feel free to make a point of beating a rude peasant two days ago and the same peasant appealing to the local authority to get the offending PC put in chains as a direct consequence.

When I said 'charm' I did not mean it as a class ability or magic power. I meant a person with high charisma being polite, courteous, captivating to manipulate people into doing what they want. Yes they could use magic, but a fighter with a high charisma can get more accomplished with words than a mage casting charm spells on people in common settings. The paladin and bard probably have charisma out the wahzoo, but the offending fighter is forcing them to bail him out constantly.
"One does not stop playing when they get old, they grow old when they stop playing" George Bernard Shaw
"If you could be either God’s worst enemy or nothing, which would you choose?" Chuck Palahniuk