Give Arijani's curse more meaning.

Discussing all things Ravenloft
brilliantlight
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Give Arijani's curse more meaning.

Post by brilliantlight »

Arijani has potential IMO but his curse is lame. He can only appear as scary? What is his problem with that? There is nothing in his background that suggests it is a problem for him. The challenge is to come up with reasons that it could be a problem for him.
The Lesser Evil
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: Give Arijani's curse more meaning.

Post by The Lesser Evil »

Arijani rules with relative little (overt) challenge over Sri Raji, so most of the time assuming shapes that are terrifying are the only ones he needs. However, there are two things he greatly fears. One is the punishment of his father, Ravana, and the other is Ravana's Bane, the crossbow bolt he used to kill his father's avatar. Looking at these two things, it comes a matter of providing instances where Ravana can't simply menace and intimidate his way to getting want he wants. Or perhaps more likely, there has to be false alarm scenarios that seem like his doom is at hand (like mistaking a powerful spellcaster as an agent of his father, for example), but then terribly frustrate him when it doesn't turn out to be the case.
Mistmaster
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Mistmaster »

Personally I use him as temporal ruler/figurehead and his mother as the true Dark Lord. I see her both more interesting and deserving, as a Dark Lord; Her curse is that Arjani is repulsed by her and will never aknowledge her as his mother; she is obsessed by him, thus this break her heart, and sink her in deepeer abysses of depravity.
brilliantlight
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by brilliantlight »

The Lesser Evil wrote:Arijani rules with relative little (overt) challenge over Sri Raji, so most of the time assuming shapes that are terrifying are the only ones he needs. However, there are two things he greatly fears. One is the punishment of his father, Ravana, and the other is Ravana's Bane, the crossbow bolt he used to kill his father's avatar. Looking at these two things, it comes a matter of providing instances where Ravana can't simply menace and intimidate his way to getting want he wants. Or perhaps more likely, there has to be false alarm scenarios that seem like his doom is at hand (like mistaking a powerful spellcaster as an agent of his father, for example), but then terribly frustrate him when it doesn't turn out to be the case.
Neither is harmed by his being only to take only scary shapes. I want a reason why that is a problem. Where being scary is an actual problem for him most of the time.
The Lesser Evil
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by The Lesser Evil »

brilliantlight wrote:
Neither is harmed by his being only to take only scary shapes. I want a reason why that is a problem. Where being scary is an actual problem for him most of the time.
What I meant is, introducing something that he himself is afraid of (and therefore, presumably will not be scared by any illusion or transformation Arijani could think up, thereby effectively stripping him of a vital resource common to all rakshasas that he might otherwise use.)

Another option is to have him want to be venerated and adulated as a god (or a demi-god in the service of Kali) by the whole of Sri Raji, as opposed to being mostly feared. In this version of Arijani, the people listen and follow him because if his fearsome power and the Dark Sisters he commands or, alternatively, for the power he offers those whom obey him, rather than true worship. He may even organize great festivals, etc. but all these efforts to indoctrinate his worship into the public are doomed to failure.
brilliantlight
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by brilliantlight »

The Lesser Evil wrote:
brilliantlight wrote:
What I meant is, introducing something that he himself is afraid of (and therefore, presumably will not be scared by any illusion or transformation Arijani could think up, thereby effectively stripping him of a vital resource common to all rakshasas that he might otherwise use.)

Another option is to have him want to be venerated and adulated as a god (or a demi-god in the service of Kali) by the whole of Sri Raji, as opposed to being mostly feared. In this version of Arijani, the people listen and follow him because if his fearsome power and the Dark Sisters he commands or, alternatively, for the power he offers those whom obey him, rather than true worship. He may even organize great festivals, etc. but all these efforts to indoctrinate his worship into the public are doomed to failure.
The second makes sense particularly with his association with Ravana. He could well look at himself as a legitimate demigod as he killed an avatar of Ravana. He could well be plotting to replace Ravana with himself.