[AD&D 2nd] Altered Clerical Pantheon for Ravenloft

Discussing all things Ravenloft
Deewun
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

[AD&D 2nd] Altered Clerical Pantheon for Ravenloft

Post by Deewun »

I recently was requested by a player to run a hardcore, level 1 to 20, sandbox AD&D 2nd game. And course, I'm very happy to do so. Love 2nd edition. Love Ravenloft. Love big ole long campaigns. So I've been mining resources and rewriting things I've written in the past, when I stumbled on a problem: clerics are real lame. The current rules as written in the Domains of Dread make all the clerics feel super-samey, with only slight regional changes. So I've stricken all that away to start from scratch.

I tried to create a pantheon that allowed for every Cleric sphere to be in at least one of the religions, and to only use published, canonical material. I got close, but had to make a LOT of calls. And honestly, I'd love some input. So I'm gonna dump the work I did here, and I'd like to hear what you fine folks here in our fine Fraternity have to add, suggest to change, or agree is great.

Deewun's (playable) Clerical Pantheon for Ravenloft for 2nd Edition AD&D

NAME - SPHERES (limited to four per God) - Main Worshipers

Belenus - Sun, Fire, Water, Law - Tepest and the Shadowlands
Akiri Pantheon - varies - Har'Akir
Church of the Divinity of Mankind - Charm, Numbers, Thought, Astral - Zhershia
Church of Ezra - varies - Core (*note: no Clerics, only Anchorites)
Hala - Chaos, Divination, Healing, Travelers - Core
Lawgiver - Law, Combat, War, Wards - Nova Vaasa, Hazlan, dwarves
Yutow - Law, Animal, Plant, Protection - Valachan
Zhakata - Chaos, Creation, Necromancy, Guardian - G'Henna
The Morninglord - Sun, Healing, Combat, Fire - Barovia
Teachings of Zebulon - Healing, Numbers, Necromancy, Time - varies (*note: no Clerics, only Zebulytes)
Rajian Pantheon - varies - Sri Raji
Tidhare - Earth, Air, Guardian, Wards - "freaks" and calibans
Soshi-Tsu - Air, Earth, Fire, Water - Rokushima Taiyoo

The idea behind Tidhare is to take the blank slate, fill out some of the missing spheres, and create a Ravenloft version of a god that could fit very easily into the Feast of Ravenmoor adventure Gonzoron reviewed over here that I fell in love with. I even figure a Butterfly god is a perfect metaphorical symbol for Calibans and freaks that need hope.

And Soshi-Tsu is just a variant idea on Shinto, using the four islands, four elements, yada yada.

*Edited because I'm a dingus and read the paragraph super duper wrong on Clerics in the Domains of Dread.
Last edited by Deewun on Sun Nov 27, 2016 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: [AD&D 2nd] Altered Clerical Pantheon for Ravenloft

Post by ewancummins »

Deewun wrote:I recently was requested by a player to run a hardcore, level 1 to 20, sandbox AD&D 2nd game. And course, I'm very happy to do so. Love 2nd edition. Love Ravenloft. Love big ole long campaigns. So I've been mining resources and rewriting things I've written in the past, when I stumbled on a problem: clerics are real lame. Minor access to ALL spheres, major access to only Elemental? That's super limiting, and makes all the churches and religions and character options super limited. So I've stricken all that away to start from scratch.

I tried to create a pantheon that allowed for every Cleric sphere to be in at least one of the religions, and to only use published, canonical material. I got close, but had to make a LOT of calls. And honestly, I'd love some input. So I'm gonna dump the work I did here, and I'd like to hear what you fine folks here in our fine Fraternity have to add, suggest to change, or agree is great.

Teachings of Zebulon - Healing, Numbers, Necromancy, Time - varies (*note: no Clerics, only Zebulytes)

The idea behind Tidhare is to take the blank slate, fill out some of the missing spheres, and create a Ravenloft version of a god that could fit very easily into the Feast of Ravenmoor adventure Gonzoron reviewed over here that I fell in love with. I even figure a Butterfly god is a perfect metaphorical symbol for Calibans and freaks that need hope.

And Soshi-Tsu is just a variant idea on Shinto, using the four islands, four elements, yada yada.
You've got clerics wrong.

They get major access to a whole bunch of spheres, and MINOR access to elemental.
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

-from Moby Dick (Hermann Melville)
Deewun
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Deewun »

ewancummins wrote:

They get major access to a whole bunch of spheres, and MINOR access to elemental.
:shock:

Well look at that, I sure did read that wrong. See, that's why I needed another eyeball set.

I think I'll still stick with my plans, having a limited sphere selection, just to make each Cleric feel more distinct, and because I like the pantheon aspect of things. Access to almost everything is the same storytelling problem I had before, in that Clerics all feel basically identical and lame, just now they have access to a lot instead of a little. I always prefered Anchorite, Zebulytes, and Order of the Green Handers, so this is just an attempt to add more of that speciality to the class.
Dark Angel
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Dark Angel »

ewancummins wrote:
Deewun wrote:I recently was requested by a player to run a hardcore, level 1 to 20, sandbox AD&D 2nd game. And course, I'm very happy to do so. Love 2nd edition. Love Ravenloft. Love big ole long campaigns. So I've been mining resources and rewriting things I've written in the past, when I stumbled on a problem: clerics are real lame. Minor access to ALL spheres, major access to only Elemental? That's super limiting, and makes all the churches and religions and character options super limited. So I've stricken all that away to start from scratch.

He's right, you are thinking of specialty priests, not just the general 'cleric' class. Since my group has started, we have never taken the basic cleric and always relied upon the specialty priests of Oerth (the Greyhawk setting always seemed to get that aspect right). I saw the same issues and took it upon myself to redo the whole religion aspect to incorporate major established faiths, racial gods, and flesh out more foreign pantheons to create a more culturally relevant series of priesthoods. My list is still not complete as I am working out the colonial Spanish/Aztec style gods and faiths still, but here is what I have. Sorry about the formatting, but it was just easier to cut and paste into the feed. Much of this is derived from the Gazs, adventure materials (including ones from the Prime Worlds), and the materials from the Fraternity. Feel free to poach!

Deities of Ravenloft

Name-Cult of the Morning Lord Areas of Concern-Healing, Sun, Hope AL-Any Good Abilities-Cha-12 Wis-14 Weapons-Any blunt, plus spear Armor-Up to plate mail and shield Robes-White or pink Spheres-All, Elemental, Healing, Sun, Combat*, Wards*, Weather*, Necromantic*, Divination*
Level Abilities-3) Cast Light spell twice per day, 6) Cast Continual Light spell once per day, 9) Blood of the Dawn’s Light (blood is infused with divine power and burns undead as if it were holy water), 12) Able to strike vampires with nonmagical weapons and use stakes without Thaco penalty Turn?-Yes Symbols-Rose tinted disc of wood with gold accents
Special Note-This Barovian deity is based on the Forgotten Realms god of the sun and the ancient deity of Barovia’s past, Andral and grew in popularity in the 5th century. It is rumored that he will return to the lands and his glow will remove the darkness from these lands. There are not many churches or clergy as the faithful of Barovia are few. The largest temple of the sect is the Sanctuary of First Light in Krezk, Barovia run by Elizabeta Pirosska. Clerics pray for spells with the coming of dawn everyday with its sole high holy day (Nevermore Night) during the winter solstice. Parishioners are expected to attend services at least once a week, but priests hold services every morning.

Name-Nerull (Erlin) Areas of Concern-Death, Evil Trickery AL-Any Evil Abilities-Wis-9 Weapons-Dagger, Knife, Great Sickle (Hook Fauchard), Staff, Staff-Sling Armor-Any Robes-Rust Red or Black Spheres-None (All, Astral, Charm*, Divination*, Guardian, Healing (rev), Necromantic (rev), Sun (rev)
Level Abilities-1) Surprised on a “1”, 7) Evard’s Black Tentacles, 10) Immune to all diseases, mundane and magical Turn?-Command Symbols-Skull and Scythe or a Sickle crossed with a knife
Special Note-Known as Erlin to Barovians, this Gundarak god is based on the Greyhawk deity of the same name and an ancient god from Barovia’s past. With the fall of Duke Gundar, the priests of Nerull have lost their spellcasting and level abilities (with only one person somehow able to channel his divine energy into spell casting). That man, Emanuel Maryszkas, is now the high priest of this, now resurgent, faith. Many have begun to cling to the old Gundarkian ways and the church has seen a small resurgence. However, it still is considered little more than a barbaric sect of fanatics who were religious aspects of Gundar’s tyranny.

Name-Ancestral Choir (Den Anen Prima) Areas of Concern-Music, Beauty, Foresight AL-NG or TN Required Abilities-Int-13, Wis-14, Cha-14 Weapons-Any blunt Armor-Any Robes-Gold and Red Spheres-All, Animal*, Astral, Charm, Creation, Divination, Guardian, Healing*, Necromantic*, Sun*, Weather*, Travelers
Level Abilities-3) Cast Friends spell once per day, 6) Affect morale and moods like the bard ability, 9) +1 to Charisma or Wisdom (but not beyond racial limits) Turn?-Yes at 2 levels lower Symbols-Flute
Special Note-The only religion widely recognized in Kartakass, with a very small clergy (called choirmasters) and a very large base of followers, is an entity that grants the stories, poems, and songs to the folk who revere their ancient ancestors and all of the music bestowed upon the folk of the lands. They pray for their spells at dawn and the devoted are expected to attend services at least once a week. Harmonia is the home of the central church, the Temple of Divine Song.

Name-The Lawgiver Areas of Concern-Death, Law, War AL-LN or LE Required Abilities-Wis-10, Int-12 Weapons-Any blunt, plus whip and spear Armor-Any Robes-Red and Black Spheres-All, Combat, Healing*, Law, Necromantic (rev), Protection*, Sun, Numbers*, Wards*
Level Abilities-3) Cast Detect Alignment, twice per day, 6) May specialize in the whip or spear, 9) Cast Detect Lie, three times per day Turn?-No Symbols-Stout iron spear, bound in coils of bronze
Special Note-The sects of Nova Vaasa and Hazlan (known as the Iron Faith in Hazlan) are the primary holdings of the Lawgiver. The church believe that theirs is the only true faith and other religions are mere followers of the Lawgiver (Ezra and Hala are His concubines, for example) and that everyone should follow Him. The concept/being that directly opposes the Lawgiver has been called the Mytteri (translates to Rebellion) and His enemies have been in league with. In Hazlan, the Iron Faith is the state religion and the only one allowed operating openly under the direction of the Council of Imperial Divinity. Although the head of the church is the Himmelsk Naeve (Divine Fist) Pieter Jergaar, who resides in Nova Vaasa, the Two Paves (one in both countries each) run the churches of their respective countries. Pave Haakon Aramsen runs the Hazlani sect with his four aerkebiskops running specific regions. Each aerkebiskop has a retinue biskops who delegate to their dommers (who perform the many administrative services of the church). Individual churches (fanes) are run by kontors. Clerics pray at noon (as the Lawgiver can see them the easiest) and followers worship twice a week (even though there are services every evening after the work day is over). The Lawgiver is strict and harsh; failure to heed the church’s ways will be dealt with as strictly and as harshly. One major distinction of the two nations lies in the Lawgiver’s disappearance during the Great upheaval. Hazlani clerics believe it to have been a test for the devoted to endure while the Vaasi clerics believe that their lord was harmed or incapacitated somehow. The Nova Vaasan sect is also more lenient in its attendance, but it is still strongly encouraged. The Pave of Nova Vaasa is Pave Lod Ragnaar who also has four aerkebiskops below him.

Name-The Lawgiver (Hazlani splinter sect) Areas of Concern-Death, Law, War AL-LE Required Abilities-Int-12 Weapons-Any nonslashing Armor-Any Robes-Red and Black Spheres-All, Combat, Healing (rev)*, Necromantic (rev), Sun, Numbers*, Wards*
Level Abilities-3) Cast Detect Alignment, twice per day, 6) May specialize in the whip or spear, 9) Cast Detect Lie, once per day Turn?-No Symbols-Stout iron spear with a bloodied tip
Special Note-After the religious schism in Hazlan regarding the debate over the “Final Sign of the Lawgiver” and the Great Upheaval, some fell away to await the “Final Judgment of the Lawgiver” when the world ends. As such they have become an isolated sect and have been at war with the main branches for months.

Name-Wolf God of Verbek (Mæstealdulph) Areas of Concern-Animals, Strength, Trickery AL-CE Required Abilities-Str-14, Con-14 Weapons-As per thieves Armor-None Robes-Brown, blood splattered Spheres-All, Animal, Summoning, Charm, Weather*
Level Abilities-None Turn?-No Symbols-Snarling wolf head or Bloody paw print
Special Note-Every cleric is a werewolf and most worshipers are as well. However, the nonwerewolves only do so to protect themselves as they travel the woods. They believe that the Wolf God will devour the inept selections for their clergy and are very careful with whom they enter into their group. They pray for their spells at sunset when twilight obscures them from other predators. Hunting and sacrifices are commonly regarded as holy acts for the Wolf God.

Name-Millathal Areas of Concern-Endurance, Suffering, Perseverance AL-CG Required Abilities-Con-14, Wis-12 Weapons-Any blunt and scourge Armor-None Robes-Grey or Red Spheres-All, Creation*, Divination, Healing*, Necromantic*, Weather*
Level Abilities-3) Able to transfer hit points, once per day (1 hit point transferred per level from priest to target), 6) Able to Cure Disease, once per day, but ages 2d6 years each time used, 9) Immune to any form of physical exhaustion, magical or not Turn?-No Symbols-A Fist Bound in Green Vines
Special Note-The only god in Sithicus, he is a reflection on the current plight of the elven population. They are a dour and sullen race now, nowhere near to the happy and carefree creatures from other realms. His faithful are few and scattered, nowhere near being called an organization. It is believed that elves of other realms (and worlds) were known for taking on the suffering and pain of their kinfolk. These people who worship may believe (erroneously or not) that they take on the suffering of their fellow elves.

Name-Yutow the Peacebringer Areas of Concern-Obedience, Nature, Moon AL-LN Required Abilities-Wis-9
Weapons-Any (sickle at 1st) Armor-Any nonmetal Robes-Light Green Spheres-All, Charm, Divination, Guardian, Healing*, Law, Plant, Protection, Weather
Level Abilities-3) Able to see in darkness as if by candlelight, 6) Protection from Chaos (similar to Protection from Good/Evil) at will, 9) Cast Dispel Magic, once per day as if two levels higher Turn?-Yes Symbols-Silver Circle (moon) with a vertical diamond on it (cat’s eye)
Special Note-The only god of Valachan people, Yutow is the one who will bring peace and hope to their lands. Most villages have a single cleric in them, referred to as moarnekone (married to the moon), and an acolyte to assist them. They arbitrate disputes among nobles, ensure tax collection, and appease the spirits of nature. Clerics pray for spells when the moon reaches its zenith and hold services at moonrise. Once a year, clerics all meet near Castle Pantara to pray for Valachan as a whole. Clerics are purely monotheistic and do not recognize “false faiths” from other realms. Worshippers are protected from nature’s fury and granted good health and harvests. It is believed that he died for the sake of the peoples of Valachan and now resides in the moon, watching over those who worship him.

Name-Zhakata the Provider Areas of Concern-Submission, Sacrifice AL-CE Required Abilities-Con-14, Wis-10 Weapons-Dagger, Flail, Whip, Scourge, Staff Armor-None Robes-Yellow and Red Spheres-All, Charm, Combat, Elemental (fire, earth, air), Healing (rev), Summoning
Level Abilities-None Turn?-No Symbols-Small reliquary containing human finger bones
Special Note-A better known religion prior to G’Henna’s relocation from the Core, it is now an island off the coast from Hazlan and essentially cut off from the constant trade of Darkon and Falkovnia. The clergy are the elite ruling class that holds the rest of the populace in a form of lifelong indentured servitude to gain admission into the afterlife. The priests get all of the food from the native peoples and then “sacrifice” it to Zhakata. Whatever food left over, is distributed back to the people. It is barely enough to live off of and the emaciated figures are proof of that. Yagno Petronova is the high cleric and has many powers that his other lesser clerics do not possess.

Name-Divinity of Mankind/The Great Clockwork (Groot Tankjet Raut) Areas of Concern-Knowledge, Law, Innovation AL-Any Neutral Required Abilities-Human only, Int-14 Weapons-Any blunt, any gun and any crossbows Armor-Up to Plate Mail, no shields Robes-Grey Spheres-All, Combat*, Divination, Elemental*, Numbers, Protection*, Wards, Creation, Law
Level Abilities-4) Receives a free nonweapon proficiency, 8) Acquires a free Sage Specialization (Player or DM’s choice) Turn?-No Symbols-Highly Stylized Human man in a squared circle
Special Note-Based in Paridon and Lamordia, is the epitome of the flawless and perpetual precision sought by philosophers and inventors alike. It establishes a divine being that created all the laws of the universe, but the world is not controlled by any outside forces now. The guns and crossbows they wield have to have been built by them, but their other items do not require the same. They usually prefer creating everything they use (within reason).

Name-Hala Areas of Concern-Healing, Hospitality AL-Any non chaotic (NG typically) Required Abilities-Int-10, Wis-12, Con-9, and whatever class requirements Weapons-Any Blunt Armor-By class (but cannot cast spells then) Robes-White or Light Blue
Level Abilities-As per the Witch kit (pg. 272 VRG3) Turn?-No Symbols-A Ring of 13 serpents devouring each other
Special Note- Mordent and Richemulot are the homes to a great number of Hala’s members, but many other domains house hospices as well (Barovia, Hazlan (secretly amongst the Rashemani peoples), Kartakass, Dementlieu, Borca (particularly in the western lands), Valachan (staying away from their priest’s jurisdiction of their village’s borders), and even Tempest). In fact, one would be hard pressed to find a major city without a hospice in it or by it. Many of the faith keep low profiles and seek to aid the weary traveler or the sick townsperson, but there is a hidden face to the church. The church does revere the goddess Hala, but does not seek to add others to the fold. They are, in fact, all witches (which is why they are all women) that only desire helping those in need and fighting against hags and their minions. They tend to wear simple robes and veils (with the rare warlock wearing robes with hoods). Even though they are very altruistic in their mission, many suspect the very secretive and low profile sect.

Name-Ezra the Defender Areas of Concern-Protect the weak, Help the sick AL-LN Required Abilities-Wis-12, Cha-15 Weapons-Any Blunt Armor-Metal Armor only Robes-White Robes with Green Trim Spheres-All, Charm, Divination, Guardian*, Healing, Protection*, Wards*, Law, Weather
Level Abilities-6) Shield of Ezra (+1 weapons needed to hit priest), 9) Mistwalking (see DoD, pg-266) Turn?-Yes Symbols- Silver longsword with a kite shield adorned with a sprig of belladonna
Special Note-The Borcan sect (administrated by Praesidius Ian Postoya), is commonly referred to as the Home Faith as it is the original location of the Church of Ezra founded by not other than Yakov Dilisnya. A major difference in Borca is the nobility’s welcoming of the faith into their own manors. This sect has always prided itself on combating the forces of darkness without the sinister methods of the Darkon sect. The home of the Borcan faith lies in the Great Cathedral in Levkarest that was completed in 739. Many members from each sect can be found here with all of the different books that define each recognized sect, as well as many that didn’t. The priests (called anchorites) pray for spells at sunrise and perform services at noon once every five days, but many come and go to worship as they desire on a daily basis at the Great Cathedral. As always, the main goal of the anchorites is to protect the weak, take care of the sick, and the general betterment of the human condition. As a general rule, they try to avoid spilling blood, but are not pacifistic enough to put off action when needed.

Name-Ezra the Healer Areas of Concern- Protect the weak, Help the sick AL-TN Required Abilities-Wis-12, Cha-15 Weapons-Any nonslashing (but no two handed) Armor-Metal only and shield Robes- White Robes with Green Trim Spheres-All, Charm, Divination, Guardian, Healing, Protection*, Wards*, Law*, Chaos*
Level Abilities-6) Shield of Ezra (Spell Immunity), 9) Mistwalking (see DoD, pg-266) Turn?-Yes Symbols-Silver longsword with a kite shield adorned with a sprig of belladonna
Special Note-The Dementlieu sect primarily based in Port-a-Lucine in the ruins of a large cathedral, the Ste. Mere des Larmes (Sainted Mother of Tears). It does not have a large following amongst the local peoples. A strong faith is considered a sign of weakness and few people attend services or even discuss religion. In 709, Warden Joan Secousse discovered a stained glass window at the cathedral of Ezra which led to the investigation and excavation of the site. The things discovered were determined to be from the true church of Ezra and were compiled to create the Third Book of Ezra. Now, Bastion Joan Secousse seeks to discover as much as possible of the true church with her wandering clerics (called wardens) and church staff (called torets). This means they do not preach or even attempt to get others interested in the word of Ezra. The biggest draw is the Icon of Ezra (the stained glass window) which many have come to seek out its mystical powers. The priests (called anchorites) pray for spells at sunrise and perform services at noon once every five days. As always, the main goal of the anchorites is to protect the weak, take care of the sick, and the general betterment of the human condition. As a general rule, they try to avoid spilling blood, but are not pacifistic enough to put off action when needed.

Name-Ezra the Protector Areas of Concern- Protect the weak, Help the sick AL-LG Required Abilities-Wis-12, Cha-15 Weapons-Blunt only Armor-Metal only Robes- White Robes with Green Trim Spheres-All, Charm, Divination, Guardian*, Healing, Protection*, Wards*, Law, Sun*
Level Abilities-6) Shield of Ezra (Weapon Immunity), 9) Mistwalking (see DoD, pg-266) Turn?-Yes Symbols- Silver longsword with a kite shield adorned with a sprig of belladonna
Special Note-The first offshoot of the Ezran Faith in 698, Mordent sect (administrated by Praesidius Felix Watcher), based in the Church of Pure Hearts, is renowned for being the most open to “doing good for goodness sake” and not mandating the proclamation of faith to receive help. They are also known for sending anchorites out into the many lands to spread both the word of Ezra and aid for those in need. Anchorites in Mordent have a lot of clout amongst the many small hamlets and villages even providing a platform for women to reach a position of power and authority. The priests (called anchorites) pray for spells at sunrise and perform services at noon once every five days. Many Mordentish anchorites have found their way into many cities of Richemulot and have formed a solid foothold of the Ezran faith, but the Home Faith has a greater influence there. As always, the main goal of the anchorites is to protect the weak, take care of the sick, and the general betterment of the human condition. As a general rule, they try to avoid spilling blood, but are not pacifistic enough to put off action when needed.

Name-Ezra the Overseer Areas of Concern-Preparing for the apocalypse, survival, guardianship AL-LE Required Abilities-Str-12 Con-12 Wis-14 Weapons-Any, but with shield Armor-Metal only Robes-Black Spheres-All, Charm, Divination, Guardian*, Healing*, Protection*, Wards*, Law, War
Level Abilities-6) Sword of Ezra (able to strike creatures as if with a magical weapon, 1-7th=+1, 8-14=+2, 15+=+3), 9) Mistwalking (see DoD, pg-266) Turn?-Yes Symbols-A silver Longsword superimposed on an alabaster kite shield and adorned with a sprig of belladonna
Special Note-The Darkonian sect based out of Nevuchar Springs in eastern Darkon, it was founded by the current Bastion (head priest) Teodorus Raines who is foretelling the end of the world. He needs to torture and learn as much about evil creatures to adequately prepare for this apocalypse where his faithful will be called upon to defend the rest against the future he has seen (called the Times of Unparalleled Darkness). Many see him as a paranoid person, but his demeanor has never been erratic or destructive. With the collapse of the Eternal Order, many are flocking to this church, especially considering the church observes all of the Eternal Order’s holidays as well as their own. The priests (called anchorites) pray for spells at sunrise and perform services at noon once every five days. Many adventurers are amongst the devout. As always, the main goal of the anchorites is to protect those who cannot protect themselves, care for those riddled with disease, and better prepare humanity for the coming apocalypse. They do not show the same level of restraint for combat, but could never be called blood thirsty.

Name-Church of the Eternal Order Areas of Concern-Magic, Death AL-NE Required Abilities-Int-13
Weapons-As wizards Armor-None Robes-Black or Grey Spheres-All, Astral, Charm, Combat*, Divination, Guardian, Healing (rev), Law, Necromantic, Protection*, Thought*, Wards*
Level Abilities-None Turn?-Command as one level higher Symbols- A hooded human skull
Special Note-The main religion in Darkon, it was created over 60 years ago. Its priests (called sentinels) deferred to the head of the order, the Watcher at the Gate, who was slain during the Requiem. Many power struggles ensued and many temples are now autonomous. With the tumultuous times, the people have grown distant of the church. Clerics used to pray for spells at midnight and services are held each day at dusk with only a few communities requiring attendance. The appeal of the church lies in its primary goal of keeping the dead at bay through worship, tithing, and sacrifice. The clerics do not have any ability to casts spells any more. There is a hidden sect of the Eternal Order in Stangengrad, Falkovnia whose purpose is to pray in order to prevent the tides of the undead from crossing the borders and overtaking the lands.

Name-Lotharien Areas of Concern-Magic, protection, hunting, nature AL-CG or NG (any non-evil elf or half elf) Required Abilities-Str 10, Int 10, Wis 12
Weapons-Any Armor-Any Robes-White robes with either yellow (1st-4th), green (5th-8th), or blue (9th+) trim Spheres- All, Animal*, Chaos*, Charm*, Combat, Divination*, Guardian, Healing, Necromantic*, Plant, Protection, Summoning*, Sun*, Weather
Level Abilities-PW 1) +2 Cha with elves, PW 5) +2 vs. Fear checks, PW 7) +1 vs. Horror Checks, PW 9) Foes save against priest spells at a -2 Turn?-Yes Symbols-White Crescent Moon entwined with Blue and Green Vines
Special Note-The protector of the elven peoples, primarily in Eastern Darkon and recently in Northern Drasidia, he is a lesser known deity. He is believed to have originated elsewhere, but serves all elven peoples (even the misguided ones of Sithicus). The order has been silently watching the woods, keeping good animals and people safe, and removing evil from their forests. With the chaos of Darkon sweeping the lands, many elves and half elves have turned towards Lotharien and his clerics for both protection and stability. In Drasidia, the order has gained little footing as only one cleric from Darkon has been spreading the word to any who will listen. The clerics pray for spells every morning in as natural of a setting as possible and hold worship services every two weeks as the sun sets. While the Eternal Order is dying of, the rise of Ezra the Survivor has been creating tensions as they hunt for dark creatures and care little for the natural order of the woods.

Name-The Dwarf Father Areas of Concern-Endurance, craftsmanship, wealth AL-Any good (dwarf only) Required Abilities-Str 13 Cha 10
Weapons-Any (Warhammer 1st) Armor-Any Robes-Gray robes with black trim Spheres- All, Combat*, Divination*, Elemental (earth, fire)*, Guardian, Healing, Law, Necromantic*, Protection, Wards, Weather
Level Abilities-PW 1) +2 to Cha to other dwarves, PW 5) +2 to hit with Warhammer, PW 9) Prayer, enemy MR does not affect, 1d3 hps worth of damage to all dwarfs alive at the end of the effect Turn?-Yes Symbols-Hammer and Anvil
Special Note- The creator god of all the dwarves and worshipped by every dwarf in one capacity or another. The dwarves of Darkon revere him primarily while others from other domains do so in a lesser capacity. While his is mysterious, his followers claim that he is present in their daily lives from the items they create to the decisions they make. His few clerics are widely regarded as advisors and counselors to all (and have even been known to deal with nondwarves). Clerics pray for spells midmorning and hold small services midday every three days. All weapons forged by clerics of the Dwarf Father are able to strike creatures requiring +1 weapons, but they do not receive bonuses to hit and damage.

Name-Baertrian Blackhands Areas of Concern-Mining, nature, deception AL-Any good or neutral Required Abilities-Con 10
Weapons-Bows, Club, Crossbow, Dagger, Hand Axe, Knife, Sling, Spear (1st) Armor-Not metal Robes-Gray robes Spheres- All, Animal*, Charm, Divination*, Elemental (earth, water), Healing*, Plant*, Protection*, Wards*, Weather*
Level Abilities-PW 1) Pass without Trace twice a day, PW 3) Hide in Shadows and Move Silently as a ranger two levels lower, PW 7) Barkskin (-2 to AC, +2 to saves), PW 9) Displacement, 1 turn (as per Cloak of Displacement) Turn?-At -4 levels Symbols-Spear with an Iron Band securing the red blade
Special Note-He is the gnomish deity of the outdoors, nature, and of thievery. His followers do not revel in the good humor and pranks that gnomes usually enjoy, but rather they rely on ambushes and trickery for those who wrong them or act hostilely towards them. His clerics are secretive and rarely identify themselves to others from different races and sometimes even other gnomes from different lands.

Name-Baristal Areas of Concern-Stealth, thievery, urban survival AL-NG, TN, CN, CG Required Abilities-Dex 13 Int 10
Weapons-As per thieves Armor-Leather Robes-None (unless commoner brown counts) Spheres- All, Animal*, Chaos, Divination*, Guardian, Healing*, Protection, Travelers, Wards
Level Abilities-PW 1) Spider Climb, PW 3) Move Silently and Hide in Shadows 6% per level each, PW 5) Silence, 15’, PW 8) Invisibility Turn?-No Symbols-Halfling’s Handprint
Special Note-He is the Halfling god worshipped throughout the Core by the wee folk. He is known to be able to escape danger with unerring luck and his clerics reflect that as well. They slip in and out of shadows and rarely meet to preach. Rather the priests are called upon and handle matters individually and as needed, usually on racial matters only. Clerics can also take thief proficiencies at no extra cost.

Name- Cult of Vecna (Cavitius Sect) Areas of Concern-Evil Magic, Death, Vecna AL-Any Evil Required Abilities-Standard (must dual or multiclass as a wizard) Weapons-As a wizard (Dagger at 1st) Armor-Any Metal Robes-Black or Bone White Spheres-All, Charm, Healing (rev), Elemental (fire), Necromantic (rev), Sun* (rev), Animal*, Protection, Guardian
Level Abilities-None Turn?-Command Symbols-Hand with an eye resting in it
Special Note- This is the personal cult of the chained god, Vecna. Its purpose is to free Vecna of this new realm and destroy the traitor, Kas. They will almost never be found outside of the Burning Peaks island in the Sea of Sorrows, but a few enterprising clerics could be on a special mission for their lord.

Name-Spirits of the Swamp Areas of Concern-Weather, Nature AL-TN Required Abilities-Standard
Weapons-As per thieves Armor-Any nonmetal Robes-No color in particular Spheres-All, Necromantic, Plant, Animal*, Healing*, Weather, Elemental*, Guardian*, Protection*
Level Abilities- 3) Cast Starshine spell once per day, 6) Detect Evil three times per day, 9) Shapechange (as per druid ability) Turn?-Yes at 2 levels lower Symbols-A tree rising from the water with a full moon behind
Special Note- The clerics of this order worship the very swamp that others in Souragne fear. They keep the evils and monsters at bay be paying proper respect and homage to the trees, the rocks, the animals, even the water itself. They pray for spells as the sun sets and hold services as the moon rises. They live as hermits near the edges of the swamp, well away from the nearby towns. Locals do come to them to pay tribute and seek varying means of assistance (from simple advice to the need for magical help).

Name-Druids of the Sacred Forest Areas of Concern-Sacred Grove, Nature AL-TN Required Abilities-Humans only, Int-14, Wis-12, Cha-15 Weapons-Piercing weapons, staff, and club Armor-None Robes-Grey, Brown or Dark Green Spheres-All, Animal, Elemental, Healing, Plant, Weather, Divination*, All Wizard Fire Spells cast as priest spells of the same level
Level Abilities-As per Druid Class with the exception of the higher level hierarchy abilities (saves bonus, identify plants and water, pass through overgrown areas, and bonus druidic language only), 4) Druid’s spell focus gains the same abilities as a magical weapon with a +1 granted per 4 levels of experience in the hands of the user only. If the item is not properly resanctified, the bonus is lost until that has been done. Turn?-No Symbols-Sacred Oak Tree
Special Note-This secretive sect of Druids reside on the island known as the Shadowborn Cluster. They protect the Sacred Grove from outside harm. The central source of their power is the Sacred Oak which provides the wood the druids use to make their clubs or staffs. They use their wood weapons to focus their energies and cast their spells. Without it, they can only cast first and second level spells (and no wizard spells) until they go back to the grove to procure another. They must also return to the grove once a year (at the spring equinox) to replenish themselves spiritually. If they fail to do that, their powers diminish at the rate of one level per week. This only affects their magical powers though; combat abilities and saving throws are unaffected. Only granted powers and spell casting is affected. They return after the week is spent within the grove observing the proper rites and rituals. They are hunted by the soldiers of Nidala who see them as pagan worshipers of false gods. As such, they have very little need or desire to leave the domain and are rarely encountered elsewhere, unless it is on very important business.

Name-Kali the Black Mother Areas of Concern-Creation, Life, and Death AL-CE Required Abilities-Dex-9
Weapons-Club, Staff, any bloodless weapon Armor-None Robes-Black or Red Spheres-All, Charm, Combat, Creation, Healing (rev), Necromantic
Level Abilities-1) Move Silently and Hide in Shadows as a ranger of same level, 10) Turn Invisible as per spell/once a day Turn?-Yes Symbols-Skull on a leather necklace
Special Note-The primary faith of Sri Raji, it is headed by Arijani who rules from his temple. His clerics impose his will through a variety of means (usually coercion, assaults, or outright assassination) and control the nation with these sinister methods. The clerics pray for spells in dark chambers and worship at midnight, but without common followers amongst them. The small temples in villages and cities take offerings and offer “blessings”, but all these really accomplish is to placate the public.

Name-Tvashtri Areas of Concern-Inventions, Creation AL-CG Required Abilities-Int-16, Wis-15
Weapons-Anything made by the priest personally Armor-Any Metal Robes-None Spheres-All, Combat, Creation, Divination*, Elemental, Guardian, Healing, Plant*, Protection, Summoning
Level Abilities-10) Enchant an Item at a +4 save modifier/once per year Turn?-no Symbols-A Pinwheel Fan
Special Note-Similar to the local “deity” of Paridon and Lamordia, this is more of a movement that blends both science and magic into a seamless form. With no “temples” or “services”, they tend to work closely to each other at the central university of Sri Raji. Even those that do not work within these walls often collaborate in person or by correspondence, working off each other’s ideas. As such, they are making the land one of great advancement and achievement. Being so isolated, seemingly only bolsters their desires in areas of ship innovation or practical communication.

Amber Wastes Pantheon

Name-Ra Areas of Concern-Sun, Kings, Creation AL-LG Required Abilities-Wis-10
Weapons-Any Armor-Any Robes-White Spheres-All, Charm, Creation, Elemental (fire, air, earth), Sun, Weather*, Astral
Level Abilities-1) Light, 5) Continual Light, 10)Shapechange into a hawk 15) Sunray Turn?-Yes Symbols-An Ankh with a Sun behind it
Special Note- The principle deity of the desert peoples, Ra is the most powerful one of the three. He is seen as the creator of land and of all life (with humans being created by the sweat and tears of Ra as he toiled to create them) and his clerics are considered extensions of that power. They revere the sun and pray for spells at midday with the sun at its zenith (as they believe the sun is the Eye of Ra) and hold services with the dawn. Ra was thought to travel on two solar boats called the Mandjet (the Boat of Millions of Years), or morning boat and the Mesektet, or evening boat. These boats took him on his journey through the sky and the underworld. He is imaged as a man with a hawk’s head, but assumes the forms of many other animals. The high holiday of Ra called the Receiving of Ra (26th of May) when he merged with other gods as they shifted to these new lands.

Name-Set Areas of Concern-Storms, Draughts, Trickery AL-LE Required Abilities-Standard
Weapons-Any Armor-Any Robes-Brown Spheres-All, Astral, Combat, Guardian, Healing*, Necromantic, Protection*, Summoning
Level Abilities-1) Backstab as thief, 5) Immune to all poisons, 10) Attract 2d10 1st level thief followers Turn?-Command Symbols-Coiled Cobra
Special Note- The deity of severe weather, deadly desert animals, and foreigners (which demonstrates how desert folk look at strangers); he is the brother of Osiris. He slew his brother out of envy, dismembered the body and Ra reassembled the body and embalmed him (beginning the mummification process as well as placing Osiris as protector of the dead). He is portrayed as a man with a falcon’s head. His priests pray for spells at dusk and worship with the appearance of the moon. The cultists operate in the shadows and reside in many isolated caves out in the desert regions.

Name-Osiris Areas of Concern-Agriculture, Death AL-NG Required Abilities-Wis-12
Weapons-Flail, Staff, Dagger, Sling, Club Armor-Any Robes-Black Spheres-All, Astral, Guardian, Healing, Necromantic, Protection, Charm*, Combat*
Level Abilities-1) Cast wizard necromancy spells as priest, 10) Animate Dead with double effectiveness Turn?-Yes at 2 levels higher Symbols-Crossed flail and staff
Special Note-Became the god of the afterlife after his brother (Set) killed him. Ra took the dismembered pieces, put them back together, embalmed them, and brought him back to life. He is depicted as a green-skinned man with a pharaoh’s beard, partially mummy-wrapped legs, wearing a large crown flanked by ostrich feathers, and holding a crook and flail in his hands. He is known as the merciful judge in the afterlife, but is also the one who brings the floods to the land to replenish it (hence his role in the constant cycles of life, death, and the cycles of plants in nature). His holy days fall on the 17th to the 19th of November as these are the days represent the day he was killed and the day he was raised from the dead by Ra. The18th is regarded as a quiet and solemn occasion as his worshipers believe they are powerless at this period in time. His other (more minor) holiday coincides with the floods that usually occur in the spring (usually mid-May) as a manifestation of his blessing on his faithful. His priests pray for spells at midnight, but hold services during the twilight hours.

The Celtic Pantheon

Name-Belenus Areas of Concern-Light, Fire, Sun AL-Any Good Required Abilities-Str-10 Wis-12
Weapons-Any Armor-Any Metal Robes-Green with yellow trim Spheres-All, Combat, Divination, Healing, Law, Necromantic*, Elemental (fire), Protection*, Sun, War, Weather*
Level Abilities-3) Produce Flame once per day, 6) Produce Fire once per day, 10) Can confer resistance to fire (as per ring of fire resistance) once per day for one round per level of cleric Turn?-Yes Symbols-Celtic golden sunburst
Special Note-The head of the Celtic Pantheon and generally the one revered the most. Other gods are specifically given tribute when their specific areas of concern are desired. While the Tempestani are the more notable worshipers, the ancient Forlorn peoples worshiped as well. The few humans of Forlorn descent and the smattering of druids still there still pray to these gods, but many deities are slightly altered in their relationship to each other and, in some cases, even their sex. Belenus is one of the primary gods of the Forlorn druids. They pray for their spells at noon, just after they complete worship services.

Name-Arawn Areas of Concern-Life and Death AL-NE Required Abilities-Standard
Weapons-Scythe, Club, Staff, Dagger, Sling, Morning star Armor-Any Robes-Red with black trim Spheres-All, Astral, Creation, Divination, Guardian, Necromantic, Summoning, Weather
Level Abilities-3) Mindless undead ignore cleric unless attacked, 6) Call Lightning once a week, 9) Anyone slain by cleric cannot be raised, 12) Weather Summoning once a week Turn?-Command Symbols-Skull with antlered helmet
Special Note-As the god of the underworld, his role is referred to as capturing human souls and chasing the damned to Annwn (underworld) and unleashing terrible storms known as the Cŵn Annwn (Hounds of the Underworld) which occur intermittently all year round. His worshipers are primarily goblyns of Forlorn, but few rise above the title of shaman to priest. Others who are devoted to the Celtic gods pay homage, as he is seen as the usher and guardian of the underworld. Services are held at dawn and priests pray for spells at dusk or during terrible storms.

Name-Brigantia Areas of Concern-Civilization, Rivers, Livestock AL-LG Required Abilities-Wis-14
Weapons-Mace, Staff, Shortbow, Spear, Club Armor-Any Robes-Light Blue Spheres-All, Animal, Charm, Creation, Divination, Elemental, Healing, Law*, Plant, Protection, Weather
Level Abilities- 3) Create Water twice per day, 6) Water Walk once per day, 9) Defensive Harmony once per day Turn?-No Symbols-A foot bridge
Special Note-Commonly revered by the non-druidic Forlorn peoples in matters of livestock, smithing, and motherhood, she is also known as the goddess who bestowed the knowledge of civilization on the devout. Her wisdom and ingenuity (which also is shared amongst her clerics) have her constantly sought for advice. Less common, adventuring types have become more devoted as she aids travelers safely through the woods and hills (to a lesser degree than Lugh).

Name-Daghda Areas of Concern-Crops and Weather AL-TN Required Abilities-As Druid
Weapons-As Druid Armor-As Druid Robes-Brown Spheres-As Druid
Level Abilities-As Druid Turn?-No Symbols-Celtic Shield
Special Note-Daghda is one of the primary deities of the Forlorn druids and the god that put the seasons in order and provides a bountiful supply of crops to his followers. He is also one of the most revered nature gods of the Demiplane of Dread, but his faithful are rarely encountered outside of Forlorn (but pockets do exist in Kartakass, Barovia, and Tempest).

Name-Diancecht Areas of Concern-Medicine and Healing AL-NG Required Abilities-Standard
Weapons-Any blunt Armor-None Robes-White with blue trim Spheres-All, Animal, Creation, Divination, Healing, Plant, Protection
Level Abilities-1) All healing spells heal at least half their potential amount, 6) All divination spells cast as if 2 levels higher, 9) Able to receive prophetic visions after meditating, once per week Turn?-No Symbols-Leaf
Special Note- The Celtic god of healing and foresight, he is seen as benevolent and as a pacifist. He is known for saving the land from a child of a horrible aspect. He opened up the child’s heart and found the portent to be true as there were three serpents inside that would have spread death throughout the lands. Diancecht promptly destroyed these creatures, burning them and casting the ashes into a nearby river. The river boiled up and killed every creature in it, forever becoming the River Barrow.

Name-Lugh Areas of Concern-Crafts, Travel and Commerce AL-Any Neutral Required Abilities-Standard Weapons-Any Blunt, plus spear Armor-Any Robes-Brown with green trim Spheres-All, Animal, Charm, Combat, Creation, Divination*, Guardian, Healing, Protection, Weather
Level Abilities-1) Light spell once per day, 3) Clerics may specialize in sling or spear, 6) Able to double movement on one person, mount, or team of mounts once per week for one hour per level of cleric Turn?-No Symbols-8 pointed star
Special Note- Widely popular among the common folk of Tempest and the Forlorn refugees as he aids the traveler and brings prosperity to those in their livelihood. He wields a sling named Lugh’s Chain and a spear named Areadbhar with terrible ferocity and is known for his prowess in battle. He has been known to travel with his faithful hound, Caolite, and his faithful often raise dogs of their own to travel with. He is known for his good humor and trickster nature, as well as his revelry. All three of those traits are maintaining his popularity among the common folk.

Name- Math Mathonwy Areas of Concern-Knowledge and Magic AL-NE Required Abilities-Int-15
Weapons-As per Wizards Armor-None Robes-Purple or Whit with purple trim Spheres-All, Animal, Astral, Charm*, Combat, Creation, Divination*, Elemental, Guardian, Necromantic, Protection
Level Abilities-4) Able to cast 1st level wizard spells, 8) Able to cast 2nd level wizard spells, 12) Able to cast 3rd level wizard spells Turn?-No Symbols-Iron Scepter
Special Note- A sinister deity who constantly seeks out knowledge and power at any cost, he is willing to go to great lengths to do so. That ruthlessness is found within his following as well, but that following is very, very small. With the limited populations from Forlorn primarily dedicated to the more nature oriented pursuits and those in Tempest actively avoiding the Inquisition, they are loners and never set up temples. Oddly enough, the Fraternity of the Shadows has taken on a similar interest in these clerics as they seem to have similar agendas.

Name- Manannan mac Lir Areas of Concern-Water and Fish AL-LN Required Abilities-Standard
Weapons-Any blunt and spear Armor-Any Robes- Spheres-All, Animal, Astral, Combat, Divination, elemental (all but fire), Guardian, Healing, Plant, Weather
Level Abilities-1) Create Water once per day, 5) Breathe Water 1 hour per level once per day, 10) Part Water or Lower Water once per week Turn?-No Symbols-A Fish
Special Note- The ancient god all the lakes, rivers, and all creatures therein, he is believed to control the misty borders themselves. Because of that, many (less informed) peoples aware of that fact believe he is purposely trapping everyone in this misty realm. He has been known to send “blessings” in the forms of a boar or swine easily caught and killed. Many times his clerics will travel to either sea (Sorrows or the Nocturnal) to pay proper homage to the bodies of water that would best suit their god. But since all nations that house the peoples devoted to him are all landlocked, that happens very rarely.

Name-Morrigan Areas of Concern-Battles and War AL-CE Required Abilities-Standard
Weapons-Any Armor-Any Robes-Gray Spheres-All, Astral, Combat, Elemental, Guardian, Protection
Level Abilities-1) Priest will heal 5hps overnight if they killed anything the day before, 3) Can gain warrior nonweapon proficiencies at no added cost, 7) Regenerate one hit point per round when engaged in mass combat of at least 30 being total beginning on the 3rd round of combat, 10) Able to cast Wraithform and fly like a spectre once per day Turn?-Yes Symbols-Celtic Sword Hilt
Special Note- Fierce goddess of war and battle, she is also a hoarder of wealth and a bringer of fertility. Also called the Queen of Phantoms, she has her spectral messengers flying to battles and deliver portents of doom. She has been known to change forms and lure others into challenges, then revert to her true form and slay the unsuspecting person.

Name- Kami (Rokuma Shinto) AL-LG or LN Required Abilities- Wis- 12, Int-10, Cha-10
Weapons-Any Blunt Armor-None Robes-Varies (usually white, grey or brown) Spheres- All, Animal*, Divination, Elemental* (air, earth, water), Healing, Necromantic, Plant, Protection, Summoning, Sun*, Weather*
Level Abilities- PW 3) +2 to Cha for Rokuma, PW 6) can cast commune once per 3 levels once per month, PW 9) priest can seek answers from ancestral spirits to predict future events once per day Turn?-No Symbols-See below for various kami’s symbol

Or one could specialize in a particular kami in lieu of the above abilities:
Izanagi- AL-LN, AOC-Men, Creation, Nature, Abilities-PW 1) must take spear PW 6) lay on hands once per day, PW 12) holy word once per day, Symbols-Bejeweled spear
Izanami- AL-LN, AOC-Women, Death, Creation, Abilities- PW 3) ability to turn undead, PW 6) lay on hands once per day, PW 9) allowed saving throws vs spell against undead effects that normally aren’t allowed, Symbols-Pillar at cave entrance
Amaterasu- AL-LG, AOC-Sun, Day, Honor, Abilities- PW 3) continual light once per day, PW 6) detect lie once per day, PW 12) cast chariot of Sustarre, Symbols-Sun with the islands on it
Tsukuyomi- AL-NG, AOC-Moon, Night, Archery, Time, Abilities- PW 1) allowed bow proficiency, PW 6) +2 to bow damage, PW 9) cast protection from normal missiles, Symbols-Moon
Haciman- AL-LN, AOC-Law, Strength, War, Abilities- PW 3) raise Str to 18 (00) once per day 1 round a level, PW 6) can double damage of one melee attack once per day, PW 9) cloak of bravery once per day, Symbols-Dove
Susanoo- AL-CN, AOC-Seas, Storms, Abilities- PW 3) watery fist once per day, PW 6) water breathing once per day, PW 9) shapechange, 3 times per day (marine animals only), Symbols-Crashing wave
Raiden- AL-CE, AOC-Storms, Lightning, Dishonor, Fear, Abilities- PW 3) shocking grasp once per day, PW 6) call lightning once per day, PW 9) automatically save versus all lightning magics, Symbols-Demon beating a drum
Ama-Tsu-Mara- AL-TN, AOC-Smithing, Mirrors, Fire, Abilities- PW 1) immune to natural heat, PW 4) immune to natural fire, PW 8) automatically saves versus magical fire spells, Symbols-A mirror in an iron frame
Inari- AL-NG, AOC-Farming, Money, Business, Tricksters, Abilities- PW 3) tongues once per day, PW 6) detect lie once per day, PW 9) divination once per day (only on AoC areas), Symbols-A fox
Watatsumi- AL-NG, AOC-Dragons, Sea, Deep Ocean, Abilities- PW 3) can survive in the Poisonous Sea for 1 minute per level, PW 6) reflecting pool once per day, PW 9) true seeing once per day, Symbols-Dragon’s head on blue background
Kura Okami- AL-CG, AOC-Weather, Darkness, Reptiles, Abilities- PW 3) immune to snake venom, PW 6) can cast infravision once per 3 levels a day, PW 9) weather summoning once per month, Symbols-Coiled snake
Shina-Tsu-Hiko- AL-CN, AOC-Wind, Flight, Mists, Abilities- PW 2) immune to wind effects up to 50 mph, PW 7) air walk once per day, PW 10) wind walk once per day, Symbols-A grey cloud on black background
Daikoku- AL-LG, AOC-Homes, Commoners, Wealth, Fortune, Abilities- PW 2) remove fear once per day, PW 7) divination once per day, PW 10) mass suggestion once per day, Symbols-Golden mallet
Kishijoten- AL-NG, AOC-Happiness, Beauty, Fertility, Art, Abilities- PW 3) alter moods as per bard class, PW 6) friends once per day, PW 9) +1 to Cha (+2 if Cha is less than 11), Symbols-Owl

Special Note- The Rokuma people believe there is a spirit in all things, from inanimate objects to natural things like waterfalls and trees. It encompasses a wide range of various spirits such as a small and less important kami in a random rock to a very important and universally known kami such as Amaterasu, the sun kami.The Rokuma religion also reveres the dead as kami, believing that their ancestors are now kami. While humans posses only one soul, kami are believed to posses two souls; one gentle (nigi-mitama) and the other assertive (ara-mitama). A kami would behave differently according to which soul was in control at a given time. All Rokuma patronize all kami to some extent, the kami are worshiped as a whole, though certain reasons will make a person patronize one or more strongly over the others.

The priests that attend such shrines are mostly non-militant, but there are usually a handful of monks that will lay down their life to protect the place from being defiled or destroyed. Many shrines have one special priestess called a Miko who is an unmarried young woman of some beauty that is believed to be a virgin and acts as the primary healer and shaman for the shrine. In addition to their religious duties, they will often have a role as community teachers in various fields. It is not uncommon for a priest to teach calligraphy, gardening, painting or other disciplines to the common populace.

The clergy in Rokushima occupy a unique role in society as they are mostly not involved with the warfare, and are left alone by all sides involved. They use music, dance and other performing arts to relate the grand stories of the kami, entertaining the masses in the process. They also preside over the ceremony of weddings, funerals and festivals. They do not necessarily seek to convert anyone, as the faith is nearly universal, and the focus is instead on passing down the knowledge of the kami. They do however have a competition with rival shrines to achieve a higher prominence in the community and go to great lengths to put on the most popular show during festivals.

San Bartolome Patheons

Name- Homme Areas of Concern-Healing, Protection, Knowledge AL-No Chaotic or Evil Required Abilities-Wis-14, Int-14
Weapons-Any blunt and longsword Armor-Padded or Leather Robes-Black Spheres-All, Divination*, Guardian, Healing, Necromantic*, Protection, Sun, Thought*, Wards*
Level Abilities-3) Soothing Word, priest is able to calm down twice his HD in levels once per day, 6) The priest may cast the 4th level spell Genius once every 3 days, 9) Receives a free sage specialization Turn?-No Symbols-A yin-yang symbol outlined in and halved by a grey border.
Special Note-One part of the Catalina Church of Corto Maltese, it is primarily based out of the Porta Coeli fortress near the town of Villa de la Aguada. Both deities are worshipped equally and jointly, as it is believed they cannot exist without each other. In a way similar to that of the yin-yang, both compliment each other’s areas of concern and are referred to as the Cambiux. As such the holy symbol is the same for both gods, but Homme is followed by men while Femme has only women clerics. Azuzeth is the Njelx leader of the benedici and the sworn enemies of the damonica. She is also the leader of the Circula Bianca, which is comprised of the other 13 original Njelx. She is always accompanied by Aurora, her longsword. Clerics of Homme and Femme usually become proficient in the longsword out of respect for Azuzeth.

Name- Femme Areas of Concern-Nature, Animals, the Elements AL-No Lawful or Evil Required Abilities-Wis-14, Int-14
Weapons-Any blunt and longsword Armor-None Robes-White Spheres-All, Animal, Charm*, Creation*, Divination, Elemental (air, earth, water), Guardian*, Healing*, Plant*, Protection, Weather*
Level Abilities-3) Lay on hands once per day as paladin, 6) Able to calm animals as per ranger, once per day, 9) Immunity to all Enchantment/Charm and Charm Sphere spells up to 3rd level Turn?-Yes Symbols-A yin-yang symbol outlined in and halved by a grey border.
Special Note- The other part of the Catalina Church of Corto Maltese, it is primarily based out of the Porta Coeli fortress near the town of Villa de la Aguada. Both deities are worshipped equally and jointly, as it is believed they cannot exist without each other. In a way similar to that of the yin-yang, both compliment each other’s areas of concern and are referred to as the Cambiux. As such the holy symbol is the same for both gods, but Homme is followed by men while Femme has only women clerics. Azuzeth is the Njelx leader of the benedici and the sworn enemies of the damonica. She is also the leader of the Circula Bianca, which is comprised of the other 13 original Njelx. She is always accompanied by Aurora, her longsword. Clerics of Homme and Femme usually become proficient in the longsword out of respect for Azuzeth.

The head of the order, Father-Abad Bartolome, reigns with 13 other Abadi as counselors in a counsel known as the Benedici Mortale. They create many of the laws the island folk are required to adhere to as the Don does not care to make the laws he expects everyone to live by. The majority of the laws lie in the idea that every person is responsible for their own actions even when the full consequences are not known or knowable. Temptation is something one encounters everyday and must fought against as Njelx [n-yell-ecks] watch everything and their memories are eternal.

Njelx are beautiful, winged humans that watch after people’s souls in their lives and when they die. Their name roughly means either soul keepers or soul forgers and they have been around since the dawn of time. They are the next step for the faithful that die and are deemed pure enough to serve as one. The more sins one commits, the longer it takes for their purification to occur. They reside in a place called Coeli (their term for afterlife). Religious services are offered twice a week and everyone is expected to attend at least one. Punishment for an unexcused absence from services is a week in prison. Prisoners work in towns, the churches, or on the fields. They may also be drafted into service for the jungle forays the conquistadors take. Traveling clerics are given the best food and shelter the locals have to offer in return for auguries (advice), healing, and even a hand with chores and field work. Their word is law and can settle disputes without further issue.

Name- Ezimel and the Circula Negris Areas of Concern-War, Strength, Destruction, Trickery AL-LE, CE, NE, LN, or CN Required Abilities-Str-14, Cha-12
Weapons-Any piercing, spear at 1st level Armor- Robes-White and Black Spheres-All, Chaos, Charm*, Divination*, Elemental (fire), Healing (rev)*, Necromantic (rev)*, Protection, War
Level Abilities-3) May specialize in spear, 6) Able to see invisible creatures, range 1 foot per level of priest, 9) Inspire Fear, twice per day priest can cast 4th level wizard spell Fear Turn?-No Symbols- A circle that is mostly black with a white crescent shape on the lower side

Special Note-Ezimel and the other 12 Njelx were among the first Njelx birthed by Femme and Homme, but Ezimel desired the ability to decide who should become a Njelx and who should not. While Femme and Homme were the ones to determine the criteria, Ezimel did not agree and was able to persuade many others to his side. Opposing him was Azuzeth who agreed with the gods that the individual is the one really in charge of their destiny, not the Njelx. Ezimel desired for only the best to be selected and the others who lacked in one way or another to be allowed to simply fade away. A civil war ensued and Ezimel and his followers (who now called themselves the Circula Negris) were ejected from the Coeli. Now they reside in a place full of strife, hunger, and deception called the Nove Circulae. The group, called the Damonica, now works to collect as many souls as possible to be able to continue the war against the other Njelx (led by Azuzeth), recruiting mortals to their cause and beliefs
Name- Mictecacihuatl Areas of Concern-Night Winds and Sky, Earth, Death AL-CE Required Abilities-Wis-10, Cha-12
Weapons-As per wizard, plus club Armor-Any non metal Robes- Dark red or brown Spheres-All, Animal, Charm*, Combat*, Divination*, Elemental (earth, water), Healing*, Necromantic, Plant, Protection, Sun (rev)*, Weather*
Level Abilities-2) Identify safe water and food as druid, 6) Automatically saves verses natural poisons, 9) Prophecy, can enter trance-like state and see impending vision of the future once per week Turn?-Command Symbols-A White Skull
Special Note- She is the goddess that still answers the prayers of the native priests of the jungles of Corto Maltese. She is the dark keeper of the underworld and it is belived that the Dia de Muertos (11/1) is the day she was born. The natives and the slaves still hold reverence to her, even if Don Carrascon has been trying to stamp out her worship. While some of the other gods of the old ways are still prayed to, she is the only one who has been bestowing blessings and spells on the devout.
"One does not stop playing when they get old, they grow old when they stop playing" George Bernard Shaw
"If you could be either God’s worst enemy or nothing, which would you choose?" Chuck Palahniuk
Deewun
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Deewun »

Dark Angel wrote: *snip*
Well holy heck, thank you for that huge share! I'm currently mining it to use a lot of it. Solves a lot of my issues, and gives me another opinion to bounce my choices off of.
Dark Angel
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Dark Angel »

Deewun wrote:
Dark Angel wrote: *snip*
Well holy heck, thank you for that huge share! I'm currently mining it to use a lot of it. Solves a lot of my issues, and gives me another opinion to bounce my choices off of.
I have a hard enough time getting my players to appreciate the work I put in and I only play 2nd edition (with upper edition support) so I have no problem. I did notice the surprising amount of 'smiley faces' in the post and I think it's the unfortunate use of a '1' and a ')' for priestly powers. Just a heads up.
"One does not stop playing when they get old, they grow old when they stop playing" George Bernard Shaw
"If you could be either God’s worst enemy or nothing, which would you choose?" Chuck Palahniuk
Deewun
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Deewun »

Dark Angel wrote:
I have a hard enough time getting my players to appreciate the work I put in and I only play 2nd edition (with upper edition support) so I have no problem. I did notice the surprising amount of 'smiley faces' in the post and I think it's the unfortunate use of a '1' and a ')' for priestly powers. Just a heads up.
No worries, I had it figured. And as another only 2nd edition (with upper edition support) DM, I salute you.
Resonant Curse
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Resonant Curse »

The Forgotten Realms supplements Deities and Demigods and Faiths and Pantheons and hte Planescape accessory On Hallowed Ground all have information on specialty priests from a bunch of different religions or deities. Know you said you only use 2nd edition really, but the 3rd edition book Divine Masters from the Kingdoms of Kalamar setting adds something like 54 new deities and what is essentially changes to make specialty priests for each of them in 3rd edition (trade off turn undead for a deity specific alternate ability, like a scholar god having the ability to essentially do a cone of knowledge searching when using a library).