Discussing all things Ravenloft
Nox
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Some questions about Mist and traveling

Post by Nox »

Hi all,
I have some questions;
1) how does a mistway looks like? Is it like an hole in the Mist? Or what? How can I describe it to my player when they use them?

2) Islands of terror has a preciss geographical location or they just fluctuate into the Mist? What about clusters? And pocket domain (not the fluctuating ones, but the one inside other domains)?

3) I read about a city who is considered a pocket domain (if I recall correctly) that floats into the mists and has a big underground intricate system.
How would you describe it when players approach it? They could reach it with a boat, how would you describe the scene? Where can they left the boat? It should have a port or something similar? There are many other domains who fluctuates in the Mist, this answer could help me in every situation.

4) traveling the Mist usually requires a boat, since most of the Misty border are in the sea, right? But the boat should start fluctuate in the Mist after it reach it, or there should be water and waves under the boat? Generally speaking, has the Mist the up and the down, the ground/sea, or it is just Mist everywhere and you navigate inside it?

5) if you reach the Mist by walk or with a wagon/horse/whatever, after you step into the Mist you still see the ground? Or you just can feel the ground beneath your feet? Or you walk but feel weightless in an ocean of Grey Mist?

Thank you in advance!
thekristhomas
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: Some questions about Mist and traveling

Post by thekristhomas »

Nox wrote:Hi all,
I have some questions;
1) how does a mistway looks like? Is it like an hole in the Mist? Or what? How can I describe it to my player when they use them?

2) Islands of terror has a preciss geographical location or they just fluctuate into the Mist? What about clusters? And pocket domain (not the fluctuating ones, but the one inside other domains)?

3) I read about a city who is considered a pocket domain (if I recall correctly) that floats into the mists and has a big underground intricate system.
How would you describe it when players approach it? They could reach it with a boat, how would you describe the scene? Where can they left the boat? It should have a port or something similar? There are many other domains who fluctuates in the Mist, this answer could help me in every situation.

4) traveling the Mist usually requires a boat, since most of the Misty border are in the sea, right? But the boat should start fluctuate in the Mist after it reach it, or there should be water and waves under the boat? Generally speaking, has the Mist the up and the down, the ground/sea, or it is just Mist everywhere and you navigate inside it?

5) if you reach the Mist by walk or with a wagon/horse/whatever, after you step into the Mist you still see the ground? Or you just can feel the ground beneath your feet? Or you walk but feel weightless in an ocean of Grey Mist?

Thank you in advance!

1. For the most part mistways are impossible to tell from other patches of mist, though they may be linked to a specific location.

2. Islands of Terror seem to move within the mist, pocket domains vary greatly

3. The city is probably Paridon, in the Zherisian cluster, with the domain of Timor being the underground system below. It has a port.

4. Many mistways are at sea, but not all, many are based on land. If you enter a mistway at sea and exit the mistway at sea it seems like you have been at sea the whole time, same if your journey is land to land. Not all mistways are like to like however, for example the Jackal's Ruse is a mistway that runs from the Nocturnal Sea to the desert of Harakir, dumping any ship and it's crew into the blistering heat

5. You can feel the ground beneath your feet, possibly see it too, but at some point in the mistway, the ground will change

hope that helps
Nox
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Nox »

thekristhomas wrote:
Nox wrote:Hi all,
I have some questions;

Thank you in advance!

1. For the most part mistways are impossible to tell from other patches of mist, though they may be linked to a specific location.

2. Islands of Terror seem to move within the mist, pocket domains vary greatly

3. The city is probably Paridon, in the Zherisian cluster, with the domain of Timor being the underground system below. It has a port.

4. Many mistways are at sea, but not all, many are based on land. If you enter a mistway at sea and exit the mistway at sea it seems like you have been at sea the whole time, same if your journey is land to land. Not all mistways are like to like however, for example the Jackal's Ruse is a mistway that runs from the Nocturnal Sea to the desert of Harakir, dumping any ship and it's crew into the blistering heat

5. You can feel the ground beneath your feet, possibly see it too, but at some point in the mistway, the ground will change

hope that helps
That helps a lot!

One more question:
The clusters formed after the GC right?
Do they move in the mists like Island?
thekristhomas
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by thekristhomas »

yes