Quoth the Raven 23 review

Discussing all things Ravenloft
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Quoth the Raven 23 review

Post by alhoon »

Thankfully, it's here! QTR is Here!

A big thank you to all that contributed!

Diving into it (will add more as I read it): I liked the ghosts very much. Short, compact and useful. Enough information to jumpstart my imagination and a couple of interesting twists and ideas. Useful material. Something lost is also interesting read and enough to plant seeds into one's imagination. I may not use Maharta, but it is inspiring material to fall back to, and pick, choose and alter. Lorrimar on the other hand, is a good minor addition not only to warn people about the mists, but to any case where the PCs happily go after people unprepared. Since the new group of PCs in my table is mostly "attack first, ask questions later", this ghost could be handy.

And that's where I am at.
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
"I am not mad, no matter what you're implying." - Litalia
My DMGuild work!
Manofevil
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: Quoth the Raven 23 review

Post by Manofevil »

It still needs editing. I saw typos and my byline is messed up.
Do us a favor Luv, Stick yer 'ead in a bucket a kick it!

So, gentlemen, that's how it is. Until Grissome.... resurfaces, I'm the acting president, and I say starting with this... anniversary festival, we run this city into the ground! :D
Rock of the Fraternity
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Rock of the Fraternity »

alhoon wrote:Thankfully, it's here! QTR is Here!

A big thank you to all that contributed!

Diving into it (will add more as I read it): I liked the ghosts very much. Short, compact and useful. Enough information to jumpstart my imagination and a couple of interesting twists and ideas. Useful material. Something lost is also interesting read and enough to plant seeds into one's imagination. I may not use Maharta, but it is inspiring material to fall back to, and pick, choose and alter. Lorrimar on the other hand, is a good minor addition not only to warn people about the mists, but to any case where the PCs happily go after people unprepared. Since the new group of PCs in my table is mostly "attack first, ask questions later", this ghost could be handy.

And that's where I am at.
Thank you kindly! ^_^ Let me know if you find a good use for it?
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Gonzoron of the FoS »

Manofevil wrote:It still needs editing. I saw typos and my byline is messed up.
This year was admittedly a bit more rushed than usual. Please feel free to point out any issues you see. (I know the character sheets in John Berndt's article got kinda mangled, for example.) We may be able to do a corrected version eventually.

Sorry about the byline. I thought that's what you wanted:
Manofevil wrote:
Joël of the FoS wrote: [REDACTED] - Curse of the Godfather
Please do not use my christian name. Just M.T. please.
no??
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."
NeoTiamat
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by NeoTiamat »

Oh hey, ghosts. I always like ghosts. Also, G'Henna!

(Speaking of, the sidebars in the G'Henna article seem a bit wonky -- apostrophes being replaced with boxes, for random reason)
Ravenloft GM: Eye of Anubis, Shattered City, and Prof. Lupescu's Traveling Ghost Show
Lead Writer & Editor: VRS Files: Doppelgangers; Contributor: QtR #20, #21, #22, #23, #24
Freelance Writer for Paizo Publishing
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

Yeah, the character sheets in the last article make it hard to read. Could you perhaps put them all together in the end?
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
"I am not mad, no matter what you're implying." - Litalia
My DMGuild work!
Manofevil
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Manofevil »

Gonzoron of the FoS wrote:
Manofevil wrote:It still needs editing. I saw typos and my byline is messed up.
This year was admittedly a bit more rushed than usual. Please feel free to point out any issues you see. (I know the character sheets in John Berndt's article got kinda mangled, for example.) We may be able to do a corrected version eventually.

Sorry about the byline. I thought that's what you wanted:
Manofevil wrote:
Joël of the FoS wrote: [REDACTED] - Curse of the Godfather
Please do not use my christian name. Just M.T. please.
no??
I sent the correction to the QTR email. It also occurs to me that I never sent my pen name with either of my submission. My fault. sorry.
Do us a favor Luv, Stick yer 'ead in a bucket a kick it!

So, gentlemen, that's how it is. Until Grissome.... resurfaces, I'm the acting president, and I say starting with this... anniversary festival, we run this city into the ground! :D
Joël of the FoS

Post by Joël of the FoS »

Manofevil wrote: I sent the correction to the QTR email.
Yes, but in today's email ;) I got it!
It also occurs to me that I never sent my pen name with either of my submission. My fault. sorry.
No problem, when we do a new version, it will be corrected.

Joël
"A full set of (game) rules is so massively complicated that the only time they were all bound together in a single volume, they underwent gravitational collapse and became a black hole" (Adams)
brilliantlight
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by brilliantlight »

alhoon wrote:Yeah, the character sheets in the last article make it hard to read. Could you perhaps put them all together in the end?
I sent them to Joel one at a time for review in case he wanted some changes made. I myself never thought of that problem and I guess Joel didn't either. In any case he did put the link to the thread where the idea came from. As stated I want to thank all who participated in that thread whether I used their ideas or not. In some cases they gave me ideas I did use and even the ones I didn't use weren't bad ideas , they just didn't fit in with where I was going with them. Also Joel was the one who came up with the chapter title which was quite good I thought.
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Gonzoron of the FoS »

brilliantlight wrote:Also Joel was the one who came up with the chapter title which was quite good I thought.
Actually, that was me, so thanks! :)

While we make every effort to review the articles as they come in, life sometimes intervenes, and this year none of us had much time to review and proofread until the last minute. Hence, the formatting issues. Generally speaking, the less formatting you do in your submission, the more leeway we have to reformat to match the rest of the document. So, while I'm sure the character sheets looked fine on your end, it's probably better just to have standard text stat-blocks if possible.
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."
Rock of the Fraternity
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Rock of the Fraternity »

Well, I liked most of what I've read so far. :)

One small quibble about the Corleones: I was expecting something of gothic horror. Maybe a wererat minion, a curse running down the bloodline after the first Don died.... Please don't be mistaken, I thought it was a good summary and a fine resource for a Masque of the Red Death campaign. I just missed the supernatural.