Ravenloft Die20

Discussing all things Ravenloft
Five
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Ravenloft Die20

Post by Five »

Ravenloft Die20 is a little side project I've been working on over the past month or so. Simply put it's a largely narrative Ravenloft in our world. Largely narrative as I want to recapture and focus on that old fireside/campout ghost story vibe of yesteryear. The PCs are the players and the "rules" are simple: the players will not know the ruleset used by the DM but must roll DM-prompted dice to determine success or failure, DM determines PC starting experience by mirroring real-life experience of the player, equipment is determined by real life income and accessibility, and hit points are hidden from the players...to list a few.

Anyway, the purpose of this post is me sending out a space probe of sorts. I already have my ideas of superimposing the various Dark Lords into a modern avatar, so to speak, but I'm curious as to what the rest of you would do.

If (insert Dark Lord here) has survived the ages and found themselves in our world, then where would they be? What would they be doing? How are they maintaining their disguise? What binds them to the shadows?

Examples would be Azalin (under an assumed name of course) being head of a pharmaceutical giant that secretly manipulates various levels of government around the world. Or Strahd (alias) being a reclusive billionaire hospitality magnate that rules his empire from his massive corporate headquarters ("Castle Ravenloft") in New York/Tokyo/wherever else.
"A very piteous thing it was to see such a quantity of dead bodies, and such an outpouring of blood - that is, if they had not been enemies of the Christian faith."

- Jean Pierre Sarrasin, "The Memoirs of the Lord of Joinville"
Nathan of the FoS
Fiendish Enforcer
Fiendish Enforcer

Re: Ravenloft Die20

Post by Nathan of the FoS »

This thread might be useful? Here's my take on Harkon Lukas in a modern Gothic Earth setting to give you an idea of what people were doing in that thread:

Black Luke (born Harold Lucas) is a former rock-and-roll demigod, one of the most popular performers of his era. After a long and successful recording career he attempted to parlay his popularity into a political career--a move which was a miserable and humiliating failure, from his point of view. He quickly became mayor of his isolated small town, but each attempt at gaining national office has imploded in some more or less spectacular fashion (his daughter's involvement in a bizarre drug-running scandal with a former political opponent, Dr. David Heinz, torpedoed one bid, and his son's "suicide" under suspicious circumstances ended another). Thwarted, Black Luke has poured his efforts into establishing the Crystal Club chain of nightclubs and bars; he spends most of his time at his Black Hills mansion, throwing wild and dangerous parties for the creme de la creme of Co.R.E. society.

This one is specific to Night of the Walking Dead, but MadStepDad put up other adventure recaps set in "modern Ravenloft" if I remember correctly.
[b]FEAR JUSTICE.[/b] :elena: