Mist question!

Discussing all things Ravenloft
Nox
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Mist question!

Post by Nox »

Hi all.
One simple question, since I didnt find any official rule about this point.
Are there different kind of mists? For example: are the mists who surround the lands the same as those who descend on them? Should i treat them the same way? There are "Natural mists" and "Supernatural mists" or all the mist could potentially be supernatural, if I want?

Note that in the latter case the mists would be a lot more thrilling as encounter, and probably most of the folk in ravenloft would fear them and expect that some horror lurks inside them. Is this the way it should be?
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: Mist question!

Post by ewancummins »

Nox wrote:Hi all.
Are there different kind of mists? For example: are the mists who surround the lands the same as those who descend on them? Should i treat them the same way? There are "Natural mists" and "Supernatural mists" or all the mist could potentially be supernatural, if I want?

Note that in the latter case the mists would be a lot more thrilling as encounter, and probably most of the folk in ravenloft would fear them and expect that some horror lurks inside them. Is this the way it should be?
I'd rule that nobody can tell the difference between a (natural, mundane) thick fog and the Mists, except maybe a gypsy seeress or some unusually gifted supernatural being. Spells won't do it.
IIRC the Mists can also, in published material, appear as sandstorms. Probably blizzards, smoke, and so on.
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

-from Moby Dick (Hermann Melville)
brilliantlight
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by brilliantlight »

ewancummins wrote:

I'd rule that nobody can tell the difference between a (natural, mundane) thick fog and the Mists, except maybe a gypsy seeress or some unusually gifted supernatural being. Spells won't do it.
IIRC the Mists can also, in published material, appear as sandstorms. Probably blizzards, smoke, and so on.
I agree, the difference between The Mists and natural phenomena can only be seen by the Vistani ,if at all. They also can look like anything the Dark Powers want. We are on the same page here. Making it so it can look like anything allows you to pull a real surprise. Go through a cloudburst? Well that was actually The Mists in rain form so you are suddenly in another domain and one that is similar looking so you don't know you left.
Dark Angel
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Dark Angel »

Including all the answers above, the mists are tangible manifestations of the Dark Powers and can be used to great effect to throw the players off. When mists shouldn't be present (on a hot sunny day on the ocean or in the desert climates for example), the players will realize something is up. Otherwise it can be in a low depression in a forest, a trail leading to a nearby lake, and so on. One great example of 'creepy mists' comes from the movie Sleepy Hollow with Johnny Depp. Not a great movie, but the scene where tendrils of mists slink out of the forest and extinguish torches the villagers arrayed on the town perimeter. Then they go back. Terrorizing? Not really. Creepy? Oh yeah. Minor supernatural effects give the Dark Powers a little more bang for their buck and do not need scary monsters to put the party on edge.
"One does not stop playing when they get old, they grow old when they stop playing" George Bernard Shaw
"If you could be either God’s worst enemy or nothing, which would you choose?" Chuck Palahniuk
Mistmaster
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Mistmaster »

In my Mistworld the Mists are a distinct phenomena, distinguishable from regular fog throught Knowledger and spells.