Nature in Ravenloft

Discussing all things Ravenloft
Manofevil
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Nature in Ravenloft

Post by Manofevil »

Given the relatively small size of Ravenloft as a whole, I think that there would be far less diverse fauna (and possibly flora) in Ravenloft than in the real world. For example, I believe that there wouldn't be enough ocean, and that the ocean present would have too many forms of undead and large unnatural predators, to properly support a population of whales as we know them. It's possible that one or two smaller species might succeed, but the larger species (Blue, Sperm, Humpback) would not be able to find enough viable foodstuff to sustain a population. Also, I don't think there enough ocean to allow for a proper migration. Lack of size may also affect presence of migratory fowl. What else do any of you think might be missing from Ravenloft's ecosystem?
Do us a favor Luv, Stick yer 'ead in a bucket a kick it!

So, gentlemen, that's how it is. Until Grissome.... resurfaces, I'm the acting president, and I say starting with this... anniversary festival, we run this city into the ground! :D
thekristhomas
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: Nature in Ravenloft

Post by thekristhomas »

I wonder how enclosed the demiplanes eco system actually is, are non intelligent animals trapped by the mist in the same fashion as humans? My gut says not, but already I'm thinking about wolves/bats/rats and other DL proxy animals, my guess is though that any animal that was not under the influence of another and was otherwise normal would be able to leave freely, thus allowing PCs to encounter whales etc without having to worry about ecological balance
brilliantlight
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by brilliantlight »

thekristhomas wrote:I wonder how enclosed the demiplanes eco system actually is, are non intelligent animals trapped by the mist in the same fashion as humans? My gut says not, but already I'm thinking about wolves/bats/rats and other DL proxy animals, my guess is though that any animal that was not under the influence of another and was otherwise normal would be able to leave freely, thus allowing PCs to encounter whales etc without having to worry about ecological balance
I solve the problem simply by making the domains much larger than canon. The core is about the size of North America in my campaigns. The pocket domains or city states are about the same size but the major domains are big.
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

Manofevil wrote:Given the relatively small size of Ravenloft as a whole, I think that there would be far less diverse fauna (and possibly flora) in Ravenloft than in the real world. For example, I believe that there wouldn't be enough ocean, and that the ocean present would have too many forms of undead and large unnatural predators, to properly support a population of whales as we know them. It's possible that one or two smaller species might succeed, but the larger species (Blue, Sperm, Humpback) would not be able to find enough viable foodstuff to sustain a population. Also, I don't think there enough ocean to allow for a proper migration. Lack of size may also affect presence of migratory fowl. What else do any of you think might be missing from Ravenloft's ecosystem?

I found J.Mangrum's approach very interesting on that subject: Ravenloft is an artificial world and extremely varied flora and fauna, as well as hard-to-explain-if-you-think-it things like a lake 1000' diameter that supports 15 fishermen without the fish going extinct hammer in place the artificiality of the world. So they are encouraged.
I.e. having 6-7 whaling ships in a sea as small as the Sea of Sorrows and whales STILL being around, is not bad.
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
"I am not mad, no matter what you're implying." - Litalia
My DMGuild work!
Alastor
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Alastor »

One explanation for fauna that the ecosystems of specific domains might appear too small to support could be that some animals range over multiple domains using mistways.
Above the conquered folk,
the draconic citadel
awaits rebellion.

Not the daimon, just a namesake.
The Lesser Evil
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by The Lesser Evil »

Official sources have given at least one instance of Dark Powers-powered handwavium. The one I can think of the top of my heaed is Islands of Terror, where Faith-Hold's zealous elimination of all perceived threats to her people has gotten to the point of decimating the entire Nidalan ecosystem, had it not been for the Dark Powers taking steps to make nature work.

Seriously, Ravenloft is only low-fantasy when the lights are on.
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

My take:

The Mists scoop up lots of mundane animals and plants.

Ravenloft is a vampire world. It feeds on ecosystems of other worlds, draining a little here, a little there.
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

-from Moby Dick (Hermann Melville)
Resonant Curse
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Resonant Curse »

We know the Dark Powers create people, plants, and animals wholecloth for new domains sometimes, so I would imagine that they just pump out animals/plants enough to keep things rolling unless there seems to be some reason to allow creatures/plants to die off. The Dark Powers seem to tend to like their little world to remain pretty much the way it is (adding new domains aside), so it doesn't seem like a stretch for them to create more plants/animals to keep the status quo.
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Resonant Curse wrote:We know the Dark Powers create people, plants, and animals wholecloth for new domains sometimes, so I would imagine that they just pump out animals/plants enough to keep things rolling unless there seems to be some reason to allow creatures/plants to die off. The Dark Powers seem to tend to like their little world to remain pretty much the way it is (adding new domains aside), so it doesn't seem like a stretch for them to create more plants/animals to keep the status quo.

Nebulogenesis, as scientists call it.
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

-from Moby Dick (Hermann Melville)