Discussing all things Ravenloft
thekristhomas
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Dice, Camera, Action!

Post by thekristhomas »

Anybody watching this?

https://www.twitch.tv/wotc_dnd/v/95786035

I'll admit I stay up to watch it live (it starts at 0000hrs GMT) and I'm really enjoying seeing what Chris Perkins is doing with CoS, again, it's not "our" Ravenloft but it is a Ravenloft.

It's 26 episodes in and there has been only one side trek to the Castle itself, which I think speaks to the adventure as a gazeteer of Barovia somewhat.

There have been some definite changes from the book, which might validate some of the claims that certain areas are "broken" if explored before the PCs are high enough level, thus eliminating a portion of the sand box nature of the adventure.

What are everybody's thoughts?
Dark Angel
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: Dice, Camera, Action!

Post by Dark Angel »

thekristhomas wrote:Anybody watching this?

https://www.twitch.tv/wotc_dnd/v/95786035

I'll admit I stay up to watch it live (it starts at 0000hrs GMT) and I'm really enjoying seeing what Chris Perkins is doing with CoS, again, it's not "our" Ravenloft but it is a Ravenloft.

It's 26 episodes in and there has been only one side trek to the Castle itself, which I think speaks to the adventure as a gazeteer of Barovia somewhat.

There have been some definite changes from the book, which might validate some of the claims that certain areas are "broken" if explored before the PCs are high enough level, thus eliminating a portion of the sand box nature of the adventure.

What are everybody's thoughts?
Did not know this was a thing, but since the two group podcasts I follow are on seasonal hiatus this may be easier to catch up on in the mean time.
"One does not stop playing when they get old, they grow old when they stop playing" George Bernard Shaw
"If you could be either God’s worst enemy or nothing, which would you choose?" Chuck Palahniuk
thekristhomas
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by thekristhomas »

This season of Dice Camera Action has now finished, with 31 (I think) episodes now available on twitch and youtube.

On the whole I've really enjoyed the series, lots of good stuff, really enjoyed seeing Chris Perkins change up his DMing style from Acquisitions Inc., fun use of guest players as NPCs, liked seeing the players bond over the series, lots more but I'm trying to be aware of spoilers.

I was surprised by how many changes were made from the adventure as written, given that the author was DMing, and thought initially that this might be proof that some of the newer locations were too difficult as written, but also it might demonstrate the versatility of the module, and also the plain cussedness of rpg modules generally.

I would recommend anyone planning to run the module watch at least a few of these, mostly because they're a lot of fun, but also because I felt I got ideas about how to run the module from watching
Zilfer
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Zilfer »

Yeah it was pretty good but with only 2 hour sessions it was sort of hard to hit everything. Though he did take them to much higher leveled areas than I was expecting them to get to at the level they were. Guest appearances were usually pretty awesome, and the ending while it may have lacked a bit, I could see where I would take it from there. I mean they didn't....
VIEW CONTENT:
Kill Strahd at all. They just trapped him in that doll which they may take with them when they leave Barovia..... I call that a Win for Strahd. He's got all the time in the world to wait to be freed from that doll.....
There's always something to lose.

Fraternity of Shadows Discord
https://discord.gg/AM6Kp95ekf
thekristhomas
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by thekristhomas »

It definitely wasn't the whole of the adventure, but it was far more than the taster/teaser that I was expecting from WotC, they are still selling this adventure after all.
VIEW CONTENT:
Yeah the end was kinda sucky, seemingly caused by a combination of streaming problems the week before and the need to end on schedule, I did like the whole snowing in Barovia/broken the curse thing even though I was like, "It snow's in Barovia regularly!"
Zilfer
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Zilfer »

thekristhomas wrote:It definitely wasn't the whole of the adventure, but it was far more than the taster/teaser that I was expecting from WotC, they are still selling this adventure after all.
VIEW CONTENT:
Yeah the end was kinda sucky, seemingly caused by a combination of streaming problems the week before and the need to end on schedule, I did like the whole snowing in Barovia/broken the curse thing even though I was like, "It snow's in Barovia regularly!"
Haha!
VIEW CONTENT:
Yes, i kinda thought that in the back of my head too. Though throughout the module its just storming and rainy the whole time. xD Snow was more up to the high mountains. In my games it's usually snowing, cold, or raining depending on which gives the session better feel.
There's always something to lose.

Fraternity of Shadows Discord
https://discord.gg/AM6Kp95ekf