Noah TImothy

Discussing all things Ravenloft
brilliantlight
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Noah TImothy

Post by brilliantlight »

I am thinking of using Noah Timothy from QTR 1 with a few changes. Nathen Timothy is the Dark Lord of his boat , nothing more and Noah is the Dark Lord of land itself. Noah hates both his father and grandfather. He hates his father as he blames him for the deaths of so many werewolves, some of whom were friends. He hates his grandfather for killing his mother whom he had a good relationship with.

Because his father tried to divest himself of his human part Noah is trying to divest himself of his wolfish part. He is fascinated by humans and wants to adopt many of their ways. He is an eldritch disciple of the Wolf God but he turned the religion in an entirely different direction. He claims the calamities happened because Alfred Timothy perverted the true teachings of the Wolf God. That since werewolves are both wolves and men both sides should be recognized. He stress "survival of the fittest" includes using your brains as well as brawn. Humanity has dominated the core for a reason.

He also has moved the religion from chaotic to lawful evil. He feels it was the lack of discipline and rules that resulted in the starvation and wars. If the werewolves had better control over themselves they could have avoided the famine by planning for it. They also chased out the men who could have fed them. As a result he has strict hunting and procreation rules, particularly humans. Werewolves need express permission to afflict lyncanthropy on anyone which is rarely granted.

About the only time it is allowed is if the person would be very useful to the werewolf tribe. Births are also closely regulated. If he feels that the extra mouths to feed would be excessive infanticide is practiced. Due to the desperate times due to famine and civil war the vast majority of werewolves agree with this. Werewolves in this domain tend to lawful not chaotic evil with many neutral evil leaning lawful evil. Chaotic werewolves are getting rare as they are shunned by their fellows for not learning discipline. If they are too chaotic and show no signs of improving they are killed.

Another change is unlike QTR 1 article Noah wants the number of humans in the domain to increase. This is both because he is fascinated by humans and because he wants to increase the food supply. After the starvation period most werewolves strongly agree with this. They see humans as part of their food supply and thus to be carefully husbanded . There are rules for the slaying and eating of humans. Highwaymen and other outdoor bandits are free game. No one will know or care if they disappear and will assume they had a falling out with their fellow bandits and killed. Inside the growing settlements criminals are again the most targeted for the same reason. In this case though the victim needs to be lured into some area that is either relatively remote or a known criminal den and killed there. Many werewolves have criminal connections for that reason. The vast majority of the time the people they meet are unharmed with only the occasional killing. This makes it more difficult for people to put two and two together. The laws are loosened a bit in New Levkarest as there is a high turnover in population anyways.

Another change is that they are mostly pig and wheat farmers and they raise considerably more pigs than they can eat. They have a talent for making pork sausage which is known throughout the core. They sell the sausages at a premium and are able to purchase grain to feed the pigs and still make a good profit. A lot of the pork is eaten raw by the inhabitants , of course.

There is a caste of druids that lie outside most of the rules of werewolf society, which is becoming increasingly ritualistic, particularly in religion. Castes that are outside many of the rules of society are not unknown in real life so I think I can get away with it. These druids are , of course , neutral evil. The human hunting rules still apply to them but they are outside some of the stricter rules. They cast plant growth on the wheat fields every year.

He opposes the Musard River Company as it is controlled by his hated grandfather. He tells the humans he comes into contact with from time to time it is because of their oppressive policies. He tells the werewolves it is because he feels that those oppressive policies discourage immigration and thus their food supply. The real reason is his grandfather.

He has gotten in touch with Ivana Bortsai through various contacts. He is trying to get her to send some of her people two days journey from the werewolf settlement to trade wheat for sausage and wood. She sent some people to set up wheat farms under somewhat looser contracts than in Borca since she has less control over them. He does this because any settlers she sends there can't be sent to his grandfather.

The Church of the Wolf God has a cover religion called the Church of Lunis which is apparently an LG church devoted to a moon god named Lunis. If anyone enters the village, which is seldom except for Mondays, they are shown into the church if they want to be. There is nothing on ground level that shows anything other than it is an LG church devoted to a moon god. There is a secret entrance that goes underground that leads to the true church. The Church of Lunis holds services every Monday with Noah doing the preaching. Although he believes none of what he is preaching he is charismatic enough to have quite a following. He tells the werewolves that this is to cover up the existence of the Church of the Wolf God but the main reason is that it allows him to mingle with humans.

In manner similar to Vampire the Masquerade maintaining the masquerade is the highest law in werewolf society. So as not to scare off the prey they are to make sure their existence as werewolves is very discreet. They are to dismiss any talk by outsiders about there being werewolves around by saying "Everyone knows werewolves went extinct in Verbrek". The penalty of "breaking the masquerade" is at least hard labor for a year and up to death.
Last edited by brilliantlight on Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
brilliantlight
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: Noah TImothy

Post by brilliantlight »

Noah Timothy Lvl 3Cl/1 War/5 Eldritch Dis
HP 61

Str 10
Int 12
Wis 16
Dex 10
Con 12
Chr 16

14 Know Religion 5 Know The Planes 22 Bluff 18 Diplomacy Domains Strength , Trickery
Rebuke Undead 10Xday
Feats Extra Turning , Extra Invocation X 2
Beguiling Influence
Dark One's Own Luck
Entropic Warding
Charm
Gift of the Divine Patron Corrupting Blast -3 to will saves Next turn uses turning attempt
Gift of the Divine Patron Damage Reduction 3/cold iron uses turning attempt
Edlritch Spellweave
3d6 Eldritch Blast

BAB +5 Fort +8 Ref +5 Will +12

Noah casts Beguiling Influence (reflected in the Bluff and Diplomacy skills above) and Dark One's Own Luck (Reflex Save included in the above) every day
Mistmaster
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Mistmaster »

I used Noah Timothy as my NG Barbarian Lightlord in my take on Ravenloft; There he have to oppose both his LE Darklord Grandfather, and his CE Father.
brilliantlight
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by brilliantlight »

Mistmaster wrote:I used Noah Timothy as my NG Barbarian Lightlord in my take on Ravenloft; There he have to oppose both his LE Darklord Grandfather, and his CE Father.
A tribe of NG werewolves? An interesting concept. A way for the PCs to get some DP checks if they find out they are werewolves and just slaughter them . I would give clues that they are good aligned in that case. DP checks IMO should happen only if you should know better. Slaughtering werewolves that never harmed anyone just because they are werewolves fall into that catagory IMO.

Any ideas on my version? I see him as more a smooth talking trickster than a violent brute. He emphasizes his human side and is clever. I see him as very, very cautious as he has been through famine and war. One of his somewhat redeeming qualities is that he genuinely cares about his fellow werewolves. He might emphasize his human side but werewolves are still his people. Of course his way of caring about them is to be the head of a strict, authoritarian regime with himself at the head. He has no problems with dealing out disproportionate punishment.
Mistmaster
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Mistmaster »

Let see, if he is the darklord he will need a curse; since he is so vested in building a civilization, his curse culd be that of losing copletely control in his mutated form.
brilliantlight
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by brilliantlight »

Mistmaster wrote:Let see, if he is the darklord he will need a curse; since he is so vested in building a civilization, his curse culd be that of losing copletely control in his mutated form.
I was thinking during the full moon he turns into his wolf form (which he hates and will only use in extreme emergencies) like he was an afflicted lycanthrope and easily flies in a rage during that time. The first time he did so he almost got caught but the second time he made sure he was two days away "on business". After that he made it part of his religious creed that during the full moon all werewolves turn into wolves "getting in touch with their wolf side". The pigs are locked up in barns during that period with three days of food and water available. Of course that decreases pork production as the pigs gorge themselves the first day or two and then starve the day or two afterwards but it can't be helped.

I personally don't have a problem with giving a Dark Lord a curse with little practical effect, that it drives him nuts is enough. Besides there are a few days a month he is stuck in wolf form and can't use his eldritch blasts or spells. That is when to hit him.
brilliantlight
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by brilliantlight »

I was thinking of using infinite wolves to close the borders, do you have a better suggestion?
jamesfirecat
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by jamesfirecat »

brilliantlight wrote:I was thinking of using infinite wolves to close the borders, do you have a better suggestion?
Infinite Wolves too close to Richemulot's infinite rats. Maybe instead it's a deafening ever present wolf howl /wolves howling that either cause fear/convince people to turn back or start causing sonic damage of some sort if people press on as their ears start to bleed/ear drums start to burst?
brilliantlight
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by brilliantlight »

jamesfirecat wrote:
brilliantlight wrote:I was thinking of using infinite wolves to close the borders, do you have a better suggestion?
Infinite Wolves too close to Richemulot's infinite rats. Maybe instead it's a deafening ever present wolf howl /wolves howling that either cause fear/convince people to turn back or start causing sonic damage of some sort if people press on as their ears start to bleed/ear drums start to burst?
Good idea, sonic damage sounds better to me.