S, Azalin's other Clones

Discussing all things Ravenloft
Hazgarn
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

S, Azalin's other Clones

Post by Hazgarn »

I've a vague plan in mind to run a campaign during the Shrouded Years in Darkon, with the hopeful goal of running the players through the events of Death Undaunted. One thread I'm hoping to follow is having the players investigate the events that lead up to the Requiem based on the evidence left behind. It occurs to me that one of the best justifications for doing so would be having them do some leg-work for someone interested in the Shroud...

If I remember, S spent the years immediately following the Requiem studying the Shroud. We know she had a daughter who was lost toward that end, and who winds up a ghoul in Necropolis. What else do we know about her? Do we know anything at all about the daughter, such as how old she was? For the more numerically minded, any suggestions for how S should be stated out? Do stats for her already exist on the forum somewhere?

Azalin's cloning project always struck me as an interesting element, but a difficult one to bring to the players' attention in any way that would be relevant in a game (Death was a clone of Azalin...it's interesting, but why does it matter?). I've tried to use it before in a campaign that barely got off the ground. Having the players discover a link between Death and their employer during the course of the investigation would be interesting, and it would open up the chance for me to re-use a few ideas from that prior campaign.

Having the players run into a few other clones in the course of the campaign seems like the best way to seed initial suspicions. But Dachine isn't around for visual comparison anymore (and apart from royal portraits of his public face, neither is Azalin as of the campaign start). Aside from S and Lowellyn Dachine, are there any other canon clones of Azalin? Any in the netbooks? Apart from the Requiem trilogy and Gaz II, is there any hard information on the details of Azalin's cloning project? As far as I remember there wasn't much besides a line or two in Death/Dachine's descriptions, which is a shame.

I do have one idea for an original clone (the Dollmaker), and would be open for ideas and suggestions as to others.

The Dollmaker (trigger warning for creepy doll imagery and for children dying horribly)
VIEW CONTENT:
The Dollmaker originally from an attempt to plan something with which to continue Child of the House. I'd wanted to frame the mentions of Fey as a red herring and have a human villain responsible for the original child abductions: a necromancer called the Dollmaker.

The Dollmaker has a childlike mentality and delusionally thinks of himself as a child. He wears a porcelain mask with a child's face. His minion/minder is an alabaster bride he calls "Nanny" who he sends out to lure children from their beds as playmates (replacing them with dolls, as per the original adventure). If the children play along, they are allowed to live until they threaten to grow too old for the Dollmaker's image of himself, at which point Nanny drains their blood. If they refuse Nanny "sends them to their rooms without dinner", which is to say, she locks them away until they starve. Either way nets the same eventual outcome: the bodies are reanimated to continue their roles as playfriends, wearing doll masks of their own when their faces begin to decay.

In hindsight, the necromantic element plus the Dollmaker's stunted emotional development made him sound like he'd fit as one of Azalin's clones, since the majority are supposed to be malformed or defective in some way.
Deranged Comics Fan
Strife-monger
Daughter of a Troll
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: S, Azalin's other Clones

Post by Gonzoron of the FoS »

A bit late in responding, but no, to the best of my knowledge, no one has tried to make stats for S beyond "wizard/expert". (we get some clues of what sort of spells she can cast in the Gaz's, but that's about it.)

In the compilation of Kargatane clues about S and Azalin's plans for her, it was mentioned that she's the only clone left alive and sane, but that isn't conclusive, and I don't think anyone would fault you for making up more. (not that your Dollmaker is particularly sane, either! ;) )

I know I've seen at least one person have a PC be secretly an Azalin clone, but no others that I know of have been mentioned in canon or netbooks.
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."