Doppelganger Plants

Discussing all things Ravenloft
DeepShadow of FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Doppelganger Plants

Post by DeepShadow of FoS »

So how, exactly, do doppelganger plants work?

I'm reading the description from DoDread, which I think may be taken directly from the 2E version because I recall the same confusion.

First, it says that victims are lured to the plant, sucked bodily into a pod, digested until dead, and then a duplicate is released from the pod to do the bidding of the plant. Fine.

BUT then it says that it has a mind bondage range of 1 mile per hit die for choosing a podling, and these podlings souls are sucked into the plant, and the bodies are physically digested (at a distance?!) from the inside out, all while doing the bidding of the plant.

So which is it? Is there an interpretation of how it works that is no contradicted by some other part of the text? If not, has the plant's behavior been documented enough to say that one of the contradictory interpretations is correct? How does it work in Horror's Harvest?
The Avariel has borrowed wings,
The Puppeteer must cut the strings
The Orphan Queen must take the throne
The Queen of Orphans calls them home
DustBunny
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: Doppelganger Plants

Post by DustBunny »

The D-plant in horrors harvest was a 2ed one.
Stats here

It sucks out the life force/soul remotely, and if the pod is destroyed the life force returns to the victim. The podlings are dominated people, not clones.
Someone sent me a postcard picture of the earth. On the back they had written, "Wish you were here."
DeepShadow of FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by DeepShadow of FoS »

Okay, so the physical duplicate part is just...false? Yes?

In that case, the rest makes more sense...but this isn't the thing I need for what I'm planning....drat.
The Avariel has borrowed wings,
The Puppeteer must cut the strings
The Orphan Queen must take the throne
The Queen of Orphans calls them home
Joël of the FoS

Post by Joël of the FoS »

I'd suggest you read the errata. It dispells this confusion.

DPs are mind controling plants, and no longuer plant duplicate makers.
"A full set of (game) rules is so massively complicated that the only time they were all bound together in a single volume, they underwent gravitational collapse and became a black hole" (Adams)