Domain inspired by the Eagles' "Hotel California"?

Discussing all things Ravenloft
Brandi
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Domain inspired by the Eagles' "Hotel California"?

Post by Brandi »

I could swear I've read such a thing here but I cannot for the life of me find it, and I wanted to show it to someone on RPGnet...
Joël of the FoS

Re: Domain inspired by the Eagles' "Hotel California"?

Post by Joël of the FoS »

I recall a discussion on the dead RL mailing list..

Joël
"A full set of (game) rules is so massively complicated that the only time they were all bound together in a single volume, they underwent gravitational collapse and became a black hole" (Adams)
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Gonzoron of the FoS »

From the RL Mailing list, originally posted by Robert Sweeney, reposted by "Alanik Ray":

HOTEL CALIFORNIA

"On a [Bm] dark desert highway, [Fis] cool wind in my hair,"

The players start the game riding or driving down a desert highway, perhaps leaving on the the desert domains. A cool wind blows from the south, gentle and pleasing.

"Warm [A] smell of colitas, [E] rising up through the air,
[G] Up ahead in the distance, I [D] saw a shimmering light,
My [Em] head grew heavy and my sight grew dim,
I had [Fis] to stop for the night"
As the sun sets, the PCs grow weary. They simply must stop for the night.
"There she stood in the doorway, I heard the mission bell.
And I thought to myself this could be heaven and this could be hell,"

Since we can't control what the PCs think, we may have to have the Lady say something like this. The PCs will ask, "Where are we" since they don't see a sign. To wit she replies, "Heaven.." and a misson bell tolls "or maybe hell" (quieter)

"Then she lit up a candle and she showed me the way.
There were voices down the corridor, I thought I could hear them say"
Various NPCs should be laughing and carousing. Each of the following lines should be heard at moments.. Except for "California" which should be mispronounced by a drunkard (or changed completely to resemble the name of one of the domains).

"[G] Welcome to the Hotel [D] California"

A drunkard.. an then a few moments pause as artwork or scenery is described.

"Such a [Fis] lovely place, such a [Bm] lovely face"

Old semi senile lady comes up to the PCs with a large southern bell type hat and a bottle of wine.. she tells them this line while touching them in a familiar fashion.. like a beloved aunt.

"[G] Plenty of room at the hotel [D] California"

Someone, resembling a hotel manager behind a desk says this (sans the word "california" or says "Plenty of room at the hotel for ya"). (We can't just give it away).

"Any [Em] time of year, you can [Fis] find it hear"

Another loony party goer. Drunk.

"Her mind is tiffany-twisted, she got the Mercedes Benz.
She got a lot of pretty pretty boys, that she calls friends,"

I don't know how to work this, but the lady is probably rich with a lot of young men vieing for her attention.. still she remains distant and reserved.

"How they dance in the courtyard, sweet summer sweat,
Some dance to remember, some dance to forget"

Outside dancing by party goers. Drunk, drinking, they may tell parts of their tales.. some longing for the days when they were younger or dreaming of lost loves .. others in dispair trying to forget their mistakes. PCs find that they consume a glass or two of wine without thinking of it. (Tell PC A that PC B is drinking.) Then have them start sinking into dispair or longing as most appropriate for the PC.

"So I called up the captain, please bring me my wine.
He said: We haven't had that spirit here since 1969,"

A party goer passing out champaign is asked by the PC or NPC for a flavor of wine.. which he says they haven't had since the year of 69.

"And still those voices are calling from far away.
Wake you up in the middle of the night, Just to hear you say"

The Party winds down, PC semi drunk despite their best efforts retire to bed. As they sleep, the party goers get another burst of energy at odd intervals.. waking them up with 1 -4 of the lines from the chourus rising abouve the rukus. A PC may begin stumbling out of bed to rejoin the party.

"Welcome to the Hotel California
Such a lovely place, such a lovely face.
They're living it up at the hotel California
What a nice surprise, bring your alibies

"Mirrors on the ceiling, the pink champagne on ice
And she said: We are all just prisoners here of your own device.
And in the master's chambers, they gathered for the feast.
They stab it with their steely knives,
But they just can't kill the beast"

The bedroom where the PCs sleep should have a mirror on the ceiling and complementary pink champagne (which should be what every one was drinking earlier, in retrospect.) The Lady enters the bedroom quietly and begins cooing over once male PC, as if sexually interested.
Her features, however, begin rapidly aging as they look on.

They are woken up by a croud of party goers that burst into the room before anything happens with the lady.. these people carry the sleepy PC to the dinning hall where they are eating wild boar. (Not yet dead, but pinned to the table...) They stab at it again and again, but it doesn't die.

"Last thing I remember, I was running for the door,
I had to find the passage back, to the place before,"
PCs try to leave. The party goers are seen to be ghouls.

"Relax, said the nightman, we are programed to recieve,
You can check out any time you like
But you can never leave"

One of the members of the Nightmare Court (Morpheus?) dressed in dark taunts the PCs before they wake up..
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."
Manofevil
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Manofevil »

you might also watch the classic 'Sunset Boulevard' for some character ideas.
Do us a favor Luv, Stick yer 'ead in a bucket a kick it!

So, gentlemen, that's how it is. Until Grissome.... resurfaces, I'm the acting president, and I say starting with this... anniversary festival, we run this city into the ground! :D
brilliantlight
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by brilliantlight »

Gonzoron of the FoS wrote:From the RL Mailing list, originally posted by Robert Sweeney, reposted by "Alanik Ray":

HOTEL CALIFORNIA

"On a [Bm] dark desert highway, [Fis] cool wind in my hair,"

The players start the game riding or driving down a desert highway, perhaps leaving on the the desert domains. A cool wind blows from the south, gentle and pleasing.

"Warm [A] smell of colitas, [E] rising up through the air,
[G] Up ahead in the distance, I [D] saw a shimmering light,
My [Em] head grew heavy and my sight grew dim,
I had [Fis] to stop for the night"
As the sun sets, the PCs grow weary. They simply must stop for the night.
"There she stood in the doorway, I heard the mission bell.
And I thought to myself this could be heaven and this could be hell,"

Since we can't control what the PCs think, we may have to have the Lady say something like this. The PCs will ask, "Where are we" since they don't see a sign. To wit she replies, "Heaven.." and a misson bell tolls "or maybe hell" (quieter)

"Then she lit up a candle and she showed me the way.
There were voices down the corridor, I thought I could hear them say"
Various NPCs should be laughing and carousing. Each of the following lines should be heard at moments.. Except for "California" which should be mispronounced by a drunkard (or changed completely to resemble the name of one of the domains).

"[G] Welcome to the Hotel [D] California"

A drunkard.. an then a few moments pause as artwork or scenery is described.

"Such a [Fis] lovely place, such a [Bm] lovely face"

Old semi senile lady comes up to the PCs with a large southern bell type hat and a bottle of wine.. she tells them this line while touching them in a familiar fashion.. like a beloved aunt.

"[G] Plenty of room at the hotel [D] California"

Someone, resembling a hotel manager behind a desk says this (sans the word "california" or says "Plenty of room at the hotel for ya"). (We can't just give it away).

"Any [Em] time of year, you can [Fis] find it hear"

Another loony party goer. Drunk.

"Her mind is tiffany-twisted, she got the Mercedes Benz.
She got a lot of pretty pretty boys, that she calls friends,"

I don't know how to work this, but the lady is probably rich with a lot of young men vieing for her attention.. still she remains distant and reserved.

"How they dance in the courtyard, sweet summer sweat,
Some dance to remember, some dance to forget"

Outside dancing by party goers. Drunk, drinking, they may tell parts of their tales.. some longing for the days when they were younger or dreaming of lost loves .. others in dispair trying to forget their mistakes. PCs find that they consume a glass or two of wine without thinking of it. (Tell PC A that PC B is drinking.) Then have them start sinking into dispair or longing as most appropriate for the PC.

"So I called up the captain, please bring me my wine.
He said: We haven't had that spirit here since 1969,"

A party goer passing out champaign is asked by the PC or NPC for a flavor of wine.. which he says they haven't had since the year of 69.

"And still those voices are calling from far away.
Wake you up in the middle of the night, Just to hear you say"

The Party winds down, PC semi drunk despite their best efforts retire to bed. As they sleep, the party goers get another burst of energy at odd intervals.. waking them up with 1 -4 of the lines from the chourus rising abouve the rukus. A PC may begin stumbling out of bed to rejoin the party.

"Welcome to the Hotel California
Such a lovely place, such a lovely face.
They're living it up at the hotel California
What a nice surprise, bring your alibies

"Mirrors on the ceiling, the pink champagne on ice
And she said: We are all just prisoners here of your own device.
And in the master's chambers, they gathered for the feast.
They stab it with their steely knives,
But they just can't kill the beast"

The bedroom where the PCs sleep should have a mirror on the ceiling and complementary pink champagne (which should be what every one was drinking earlier, in retrospect.) The Lady enters the bedroom quietly and begins cooing over once male PC, as if sexually interested.
Her features, however, begin rapidly aging as they look on.

They are woken up by a croud of party goers that burst into the room before anything happens with the lady.. these people carry the sleepy PC to the dinning hall where they are eating wild boar. (Not yet dead, but pinned to the table...) They stab at it again and again, but it doesn't die.

"Last thing I remember, I was running for the door,
I had to find the passage back, to the place before,"
PCs try to leave. The party goers are seen to be ghouls.

"Relax, said the nightman, we are programed to recieve,
You can check out any time you like
But you can never leave"

One of the members of the Nightmare Court (Morpheus?) dressed in dark taunts the PCs before they wake up..
Nice, it could well be a spooky adventure. Of course you would need to name it something other than the Hotel California. What is the most debauched realm in RL do you think? I agree the adventure should be in the Nightmare Lands but it shouldn't be named after it.
The Lesser Evil
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by The Lesser Evil »

There was a Hotel California domain done by DarkSoldier on his old geocities page. There's an archive of the page here: https://web.archive.org/web/20080414203 ... oyd84/dnd/

Direct link here:
https://web.archive.org/web/20090901185 ... /hotel.txt
brilliantlight
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by brilliantlight »

The Lesser Evil wrote:There was a Hotel California domain done by DarkSoldier on his old geocities page. There's an archive of the page here: https://web.archive.org/web/20080414203 ... oyd84/dnd/

Direct link here:
https://web.archive.org/web/20090901185 ... /hotel.txt
Nice, it makes sense to me as a domain.
Brandi
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Brandi »

Thank you! I thought someone also used the song as the basis of a Mission-era California domain/murder mystery, but I'm lost finding that one...