IDW COMICS "Shadow of the Vampire" comics Issue 4

Discussing all things Ravenloft
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

IDW COMICS "Shadow of the Vampire" comics Issue 4

Post by Gonzoron of the FoS »

Finally caught up and read this one. A full appearance by Strahd, yay!

I don't think we had a thread on issue 3, but it was nice and spooky. I liked the Mists dredging up guilt from the past and turning the heroes on each other.

A nice gruesome battle with the werewolves here. It's probably my bias showing, but I just keep finding myself rooting for the bad guys. :) The Buldur's Gate crew feel like too cheerful interlopers and I'm with Strahd, saying "Get out!"
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."
Resonant Curse
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: IDW COMICS "Shadow of the Vampire" comics Issue 4

Post by Resonant Curse »

Yeah, I had been planning on making a thread for 3 and 4 but got tied up in life.

We also have the 5th edition Curse of Strahd adventure more firmly placed in canon as the vampire brides and mayor and all of his festivals are involved. We also have two more examples of the festivals.
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

haven't actually read that far into CoS yet :oops: but I figured those festivals might have been from there.
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."
Resonant Curse
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Resonant Curse »

They aren't, but similar ones are described as happening basically every few weeks.
Joël of the FoS

Post by Joël of the FoS »

Just read #5.

Ok, but not memorable. Strahd had a few good lines, but overall, it was just ok.

Disliked the clown with the hamster.

Week-end in hell like adventure? So 2e-ish! I know this is what 5e CoS is back to, but still this old way to see RL annoys me, after all we've been creating in 3e.

5 issues was way too short to really get into things, no real plot to this story other than lets kill the boss and get out of here.

Joël
"A full set of (game) rules is so massively complicated that the only time they were all bound together in a single volume, they underwent gravitational collapse and became a black hole" (Adams)
Resonant Curse
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Resonant Curse »

The problem too is that now with 5th edition and Strahd being able to somewhat control the mists to drop minions off or sometimes grab people/objects, there really isn't an "escape" for "weekend in hell" visitors that manage to leave.
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Joël of the FoS wrote:5 issues was way too short to really get into things, no real plot to this story other than lets kill the boss and get out of here.
I don't have #5 yet. Is it the final issue?
Joël of the FoS

Gonzoron of the FoS wrote:
Joël of the FoS wrote:5 issues was way too short to really get into things, no real plot to this story other than lets kill the boss and get out of here.
I don't have #5 yet. Is it the final issue?
Yes, and it ends with a "our story continues in Frost Giant's Fury".
"A full set of (game) rules is so massively complicated that the only time they were all bound together in a single volume, they underwent gravitational collapse and became a black hole" (Adams)
Resonant Curse
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Resonant Curse »

Well, "let's kill the boss" is giving them a little too much credit.
Joël of the FoS

Resonant Curse wrote:Well, "let's kill the boss" is giving them a little too much credit.
Indeed ;)