Using Monsters from Tome of Beasts in Curse of Strahd

Discussing all things Ravenloft
Ender
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Using Monsters from Tome of Beasts in Curse of Strahd

Post by Ender »

This article gives some good ideas for those who have Tome of Beasts by Kobold Press. There are a number of interesting and unique monsters that fit well in Barovia and can be substituted into Curse of Strahd with ease.
Jester of the FoS
Jester of the Dark Comedy
Jester of the Dark Comedy

Re: Using Monsters from Tome of Beasts in Curse of Strahd

Post by Jester of the FoS »

Awesome.

I backed the Kickstarter and have two monsters in the book. So I certainly encourage it's use.
Joël of the FoS

Post by Joël of the FoS »

I do not have the book but find these subtitutions interesting.

What is the basic idea behind mylings, beggar ghouls, and the drowned maiden?

Joël
"A full set of (game) rules is so massively complicated that the only time they were all bound together in a single volume, they underwent gravitational collapse and became a black hole" (Adams)
Ender
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Ender »

The Beggar Ghoul is a CR 1/2 variant of the standard Ghoul that gains some benefits from attacking in numbers. The Myling is a CR 2 undead that is the ghostly remnant of someone left unburied. If it grapples you, it can begin to pull you underground and you may begin to suffocate. The Drowned Maiden is a CR 5 undead who (surprise) drowned. Her long, wet hair acts as three separate limbs that can attack you, grapple, and reel you in. Her kiss deals strength damage and she can innately cast Disguise Self and Silence.
Zilfer
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Zilfer »

Ender wrote:The Beggar Ghoul is a CR 1/2 variant of the standard Ghoul that gains some benefits from attacking in numbers. The Myling is a CR 2 undead that is the ghostly remnant of someone left unburied. If it grapples you, it can begin to pull you underground and you may begin to suffocate. The Drowned Maiden is a CR 5 undead who (surprise) drowned. Her long, wet hair acts as three separate limbs that can attack you, grapple, and reel you in. Her kiss deals strength damage and she can innately cast Disguise Self and Silence.
In my CoS the character's failed to save the Vistani Girl Arabelle and the Vistani cursed Vallaki basically to drown themselves trying not to be thristy since one of their town folk drowned their daughter. I'm wondering if I could follow this up with Arabelle turning into a Drowned Maiden. Think that might turn out well?
There's always something to lose.

Fraternity of Shadows Discord
https://discord.gg/AM6Kp95ekf
Ender
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Ender »

Zilfer wrote:In my CoS the character's failed to save the Vistani Girl Arabelle and the Vistani cursed Vallaki basically to drown themselves trying not to be thristy since one of their town folk drowned their daughter. I'm wondering if I could follow this up with Arabelle turning into a Drowned Maiden. Think that might turn out well?
Ooh, I like that!
Zilfer
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Zilfer »

Ender wrote:
Zilfer wrote:In my CoS the character's failed to save the Vistani Girl Arabelle and the Vistani cursed Vallaki basically to drown themselves trying not to be thristy since one of their town folk drowned their daughter. I'm wondering if I could follow this up with Arabelle turning into a Drowned Maiden. Think that might turn out well?
Ooh, I like that!
I ended up ordering a physical copy of the book since it seems like a fairly decent addition to my 5e collection. I'll probably get a good amount of use out of it anyways since I'm planning on running another 5e some other time.
There's always something to lose.

Fraternity of Shadows Discord
https://discord.gg/AM6Kp95ekf
Ender
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Ender »

I have found the book highly useful. Kobold Press always has a good sense of design balance and they managed to stay consistent with that while still adding unique abilities to the monsters in the book. Everything is really flavorful. It helps me flesh out my campaigns without resorting to the same-old monsters or just reskinning something.