Border Closures

Discussing all things Ravenloft
Mistmaster
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: Border Closures

Post by Mistmaster »

Falkovnia is not on the Sea, Lamordia is; Qtr Dread Possibilities by Tiamat on both Domains express my view on theyr relationship neatly enought.
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

brilliantlight wrote:
Why would the baron be that stupid? It is one thing to trade with them and another to invite them in and risk being taken from within. I think Lamodia isn't involved in outside affairs because it isn't interested in outside affairs.

Falkovnia isn't the domain to shake things up nor is war the only way to do so. Azalin has done a lot to shake up the core. Now it would be better if other people than Azalin would do so. Maybe Malken's criminal empire can be responsible for a wave of crime spreading through the core making the "powers that be" worry about the lower class robbing and killing them and overreact to it. Dominic can do a lot through manipulation. Meredoth could deliberately "lose his notes" on how to make Lebendtod so he can steal magic from other mages which makes wizards paranoid.
Is it stupid?

The Baron is an old man.
So far as he knows, his only son is dead.

Maybe marrying his daughter (or was that his niece) to Drakov or one of Drakov's sons could cement Lamordia's good relations with its larger, more primitive neighbor.
He doesn't need to invite in a large force. Not at all.
It could be a political marriage. And the two countries could exchange manpower and skills: some Falk serfs for labor in the mines and lumber camps exchanged for technical advisers from Lamordia.
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

-from Moby Dick (Hermann Melville)
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

That isn't really about border closures, though. Thread drift.

It may connect to the 'War in the Core' thread.
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

thekristhomas
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by thekristhomas »

ewancummins wrote:That isn't really about border closures, though. Thread drift.

It may connect to the 'War in the Core' thread.
Indeed! Coincidentally I've just suggested another possible groom for Gerda, the daughter of von Aubreker, on that thread, Jacques Renier!
brilliantlight
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by brilliantlight »

ewancummins wrote:
brilliantlight wrote:
Why would the baron be that stupid? It is one thing to trade with them and another to invite them in and risk being taken from within. I think Lamodia isn't involved in outside affairs because it isn't interested in outside affairs.

Falkovnia isn't the domain to shake things up nor is war the only way to do so. Azalin has done a lot to shake up the core. Now it would be better if other people than Azalin would do so. Maybe Malken's criminal empire can be responsible for a wave of crime spreading through the core making the "powers that be" worry about the lower class robbing and killing them and overreact to it. Dominic can do a lot through manipulation. Meredoth could deliberately "lose his notes" on how to make Lebendtod so he can steal magic from other mages which makes wizards paranoid.
Is it stupid?

The Baron is an old man.
So far as he knows, his only son is dead.

Maybe marrying his daughter (or was that his niece) to Drakov or one of Drakov's sons could cement Lamordia's good relations with its larger, more primitive neighbor.
He doesn't need to invite in a large force. Not at all.
It could be a political marriage. And the two countries could exchange manpower and skills: some Falk serfs for labor in the mines and lumber camps exchanged for technical advisers from Lamordia.
There are better rulers he could marry his daughter to then a known violent, murderous , raping philanderer. One of Azalin's mortal lords or one of the councilers in Dementlieu or one of he nobles of Mordent. It would be safer for his daughter and not piss off the other domains both. Falkovnia is clearly no threat. Drakov loses every time, even in your version he at most gets temporary or minimal successes , that is his curse.
Mistmaster
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Mistmaster »

Yes, however, having Falkovnia armies on your lands, plundering and pillaging, even for a brief period of time is something a temporal ruler would not wish, no matter if Drakov can't never get the victory he wants, his wars still exact a toll on the nation he try to invade, in anycase.
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Azalin's vassals? Bunch of degenerate non-humans, necromancers, and freaks who debase themselves at "court balls" themselves for the sick amusement of their sorcerer king!

Marrying a Lamordian lady to trash like that?

brilliantlight
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by brilliantlight »

ewancummins wrote:Azalin's vassals? Bunch of degenerate non-humans, necromancers, and freaks who debase themselves at "court balls" themselves for the sick amusement of their sorcerer king!

Marrying a Lamordian lady to trash like that?
Better than marrying her to a mass murdering rapist. She is certain to be abused and quite likely killed by Drakov. That is considerably less likely with Azalin's vassals. If I were him I would see it as the lesser of two evils.
Mistmaster
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Mistmaster »

Drakov is canonically depicted as a rapist? Personally I depict him as a Napoleonistic figure so he does not really need to force woman in his bed.
brilliantlight
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by brilliantlight »

Mistmaster wrote:Drakov is canonically depicted as a rapist? Personally I depict him as a Napoleonistic figure so he does not really need to force woman in his bed.
What do you think "first night rights" means?
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

brilliantlight wrote:
Mistmaster wrote:Drakov is canonically depicted as a rapist? Personally I depict him as a Napoleonistic figure so he does not really need to force woman in his bed.
When did that enter canon? A 3E thing?

ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Sounds cool.

I don't do graphic sex scenes of any sort, and certainly not scenes of sexual assault, IMC.

But I have touched on, or hinted at, such matters (the assaults) with some very evil villains. My Drakov might indeed commit such a crime. But it's not his thing.

His thing is impaling people, watching them slowly die, hearing their screams as they slip further down inch by agonizing inch. He always had a cruel streak, but IMC, his inability to conquer new lands has given him great frustration, which he takes out on helpless prisoners by having them impaled before him at Draccipetri.
What was once a harsh but effective terror tactic in war has become a sadistic indulgence.

brilliantlight
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by brilliantlight »

ewancummins wrote:
brilliantlight wrote:
When did that enter canon? A 3E thing?
Ravenloft Gazetteer II pg 96, so yes it is a 3E thing.
brilliantlight
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by brilliantlight »

ewancummins wrote:
Sounds cool.

I don't do graphic sex scenes of any sort, and certainly not scenes of sexual assault, IMC.

But I have touched on, or hinted at, such matters (the assaults) with some very evil villains. My Drakov might indeed commit such a crime. But it's not his thing.

His thing is impaling people, watching them slowly die, hearing their screams as they slip further down inch by agonizing inch. He always had a cruel streak, but IMC, his inability to conquer new lands has given him great frustration, which he takes out on helpless prisoners by having them impaled before him at Draccipetri.
What was once a harsh but effective terror tactic in war has become a sadistic indulgence.
I don't do graphic sex scenes either but I will refer to them in passing. Drakov is well known to be a rapist in canon. Even if you are going strictly by the 2e edition he is a mass torturer . Would you want one of your female relatives to be married to someone like that?
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

I might if I were a lawful evil ruler who believed his female relation would be treated differently than a common concubine.