Border Closures

Discussing all things Ravenloft
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: Border Closures

Post by ewancummins »

brilliantlight wrote:
ewancummins wrote:I think I might have used a border closure only once, and that was an Island of Terror sealed by the Mists.
Try to leave and you just wander back in.

I think that no border closures would make for a much more dangerous Falkovnia. And Darkon.

And more wars in general, I think. Darklords who are rulers are likely to use border closures to stop invasions, but if that is not an option...
The whole point of Falkovnia is that it is not an external threat but an internal one. For all his talk of military glory Drakov gets kicked to the curb every time he starts a war. That is his curse.

Right.

His enemies should pray he lives a long life.
If he died, and a new king who wasn't cursed took over...
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

-from Moby Dick (Hermann Melville)
brilliantlight
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by brilliantlight »

ewancummins wrote:
brilliantlight wrote:
ewancummins wrote:I think I might have used a border closure only once, and that was an Island of Terror sealed by the Mists.
Try to leave and you just wander back in.

I think that no border closures would make for a much more dangerous Falkovnia. And Darkon.

And more wars in general, I think. Darklords who are rulers are likely to use border closures to stop invasions, but if that is not an option...
The whole point of Falkovnia is that it is not an external threat but an internal one. For all his talk of military glory Drakov gets kicked to the curb every time he starts a war. That is his curse.

Right.

His enemies should pray he lives a long life.
If he died, and a new king who wasn't cursed took over...
I have that in mine where they had a revolution. The neighbors are worried as they think Falkovnia might well be able to spread revolution much easier than they can go conquering. What they don't know is that the Dark Lord in question isn't really interested in spreading revolution.
Mistmaster
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Mistmaster »

Drakov's curse I always play in a different way; not like "he get kicked in the curb" but like "he never get the victory he wants; either conquest is short.lived, or the strategical goal is missed, or an internal crisis force him to to stop an otherwise successfully campaign.
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Mistmaster wrote:Drakov's curse I always play in a different way; not like "he get kicked in the curb" but like "he never get the victory he wants; either conquest is short.lived, or the strategical goal is missed, or an internal crisis force him to to stop an otherwise successfully campaign.
I prefer your take on it.
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

Mistmaster
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Mistmaster »

Thanks, I think it gave justice to Drakov ability as a general and to Falkovnian army.
brilliantlight
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by brilliantlight »

Mistmaster wrote:Thanks, I think it gave justice to Drakov ability as a general and to Falkovnian army.
The problem is that with border closures "getting kicked to the curb" is the most likely result. If his army enters Darkon then it gets wiped out by infinite undead, it gets snowed in in Larmordia, Richemulot is guarded by infinite rats that can be summoned on the border, which leaves Borca, Mordent and Dementlieu all of which have command and control issues as the men can get in but not out which cuts off communication.
jamesfirecat
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by jamesfirecat »

brilliantlight wrote:
The problem is that with border closures "getting kicked to the curb" is the most likely result. If his army enters Darkon then it gets wiped out by infinite undead, it gets snowed in in Larmordia, Richemulot is guarded by infinite rats that can be summoned on the border, which leaves Borca, Mordent and Dementlieu all of which have command and control issues as the men can get in but not out which cuts off communication.
Also I think Falkovnia doesn't actually shares a border with Mordent any more.
Mistmaster
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Mistmaster »

Quote"The problem is that with border closures "getting kicked to the curb" is the most likely result. If his army enters Darkon then it gets wiped out by infinite undead, it gets snowed in in Larmordia, Richemulot is guarded by infinite rats that can be summoned on the border, which leaves Borca, Mordent and Dementlieu all of which have command and control issues as the men can get in but not out which cuts off communication."
This is the reasono I usually makes border closures less definitive.
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Mistmaster wrote:Quote"The problem is that with border closures "getting kicked to the curb" is the most likely result. If his army enters Darkon then it gets wiped out by infinite undead, it gets snowed in in Larmordia, Richemulot is guarded by infinite rats that can be summoned on the border, which leaves Borca, Mordent and Dementlieu all of which have command and control issues as the men can get in but not out which cuts off communication."

Why would it get snowed in in Lamordia? Why does Adam care about repelling an invasion?

brilliantlight
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by brilliantlight »

ewancummins wrote:
Mistmaster wrote:Quote"The problem is that with border closures "getting kicked to the curb" is the most likely result. If his army enters Darkon then it gets wiped out by infinite undead, it gets snowed in in Larmordia, Richemulot is guarded by infinite rats that can be summoned on the border, which leaves Borca, Mordent and Dementlieu all of which have command and control issues as the men can get in but not out which cuts off communication."

Why would it get snowed in in Lamordia? Why does Adam care about repelling an invasion?
It did the last time it was invaded. My guess is he wants to be the one to torment Victor not Vlad. He might also worry that Vlad would drag him off to try and use his mad science to improve Vlad's war machine.
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Possibly.

But Adam also might decide to let the Falkovnians invade. What does he care for the people of Lamordia?
He might even stand to gain something from working with the Falkovnians.

brilliantlight
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by brilliantlight »

ewancummins wrote:Possibly.

But Adam also might decide to let the Falkovnians invade. What does he care for the people of Lamordia?
The way Drakov feels about "nonhuman freaks"? Adam would be lucky if they didn't try to enslave him. Adam isn't stupid.
brilliantlight
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by brilliantlight »

About the only way I could see it done.
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

brilliantlight wrote:

The way Drakov feels about "nonhuman freaks"? Adam would be lucky if they didn't try to enslave him. Adam isn't stupid.

True.

Then again, he is the darklord.

They can't even take him outside Lamordia. He can always conjure blizzards to cut off their communications with the homeland.

And it isn't as if the Lamordians accept him either.

He might try to use the Falkovnians for his own purposes.

Perhaps to force Dr Mordenheim into a corner, somehow compel him to create 'The Bride'?

It's just one possibility. Ravenloft can stay pretty much static. It can also shift and change.

Lamordia-Falkovnia alliance offers some fun possibilities. Falkovnians getting better tech, access to the sea, Lamordia joining a strong power bloc and actually becoming involved in outside affairs...

IT could be that Baron von Aubrecker invites the Falkovnians to be his allies, and Adam simply allows it to proceed for now.

brilliantlight
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by brilliantlight »

ewancummins wrote:
brilliantlight wrote:

True.

Then again, he is the darklord.

They can't even take him outside Lamordia. He can always conjure blizzards to cut off their communications with the homeland.

And it isn't as if the Lamordians accept him either.

He might try to use the Falkovnians for his own purposes.

Perhaps to force Dr Mordenheim into a corner, somehow compel him to create 'The Bride'?

It's just one possibility. Ravenloft can stay pretty much static. It can also shift and change.

Lamordia-Falkovnia alliance offers some fun possibilities. Falkovnians getting better tech, access to the sea, Lamordia joining a strong power bloc and actually becoming involved in outside affairs...

IT could be that Baron von Aubrecker invites the Falkovnians to be his allies, and Adam simply allows it to proceed for now.
Why would the baron be that stupid? It is one thing to trade with them and another to invite them in and risk being taken from within. I think Lamodia isn't involved in outside affairs because it isn't interested in outside affairs.

Falkovnia isn't the domain to shake things up nor is war the only way to do so. Azalin has done a lot to shake up the core. Now it would be better if other people than Azalin would do so. Maybe Malken's criminal empire can be responsible for a wave of crime spreading through the core making the "powers that be" worry about the lower class robbing and killing them and overreact to it. Dominic can do a lot through manipulation. Meredoth could deliberately "lose his notes" on how to make Lebendtod so he can steal magic from other mages which makes wizards paranoid.