I need some good gothic material, items and ideas!

Discussing all things Ravenloft
Nox
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

I need some good gothic material, items and ideas!

Post by Nox »

Hi all!

I'm preparing my campaign about GC in 3.5 D&D.
I was just looking at the 5e Curse of strahd free pdf for character creation to get some ideas, and.. Man! It's pretty awesome. Trinkets, flaws, backgrounds etc are all very flavourfull, and they all have that gothic and dark-mysterious flavour. Although those option give the PC deeper personalities and more unique items, that's a lot better than having the pretty standard-ish warrior with the +2 sword and big bad armor, who dish out 200 damage per round but has no soul nor flavor at all..
I'd like to have more material like this one. Items, stories, traits and so on, to improve PCs, NPCs, Stories and my Ravenloft.

Would you be so kind to advise me about some of the best materials and inspiration i can get out there? Not only in QtR but everywhere you want (Old edition, new edition, online, modules, fan-made, everything).

I have all the QtR but i have no time to read them all, though i looked into some of them and found various interesting ideas...
Skyrock
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Re: I need some good gothic material, items and ideas!

Post by Skyrock »

Jack Shear has compiled some very great PDFs from the stuff he has put out over the years: http://talesofthegrotesqueanddungeonesq ... links.html

Tales of the Grotesque and Dungeonesque I-III are the files you want. The Gothic Earth compilation also has a lot of stuff that works well with Ravenloft. He also offers them as printed books at Lulu.
Nun gut, es sei dir überlassen!
Zieh diesen Geist von seinem Urquell ab
Und führ ihn, kannst du ihn erfassen
Auf deinem Wege mit herab.
- Faust I
The Lesser Evil
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by The Lesser Evil »

Since you're running the GC, the Nocturnal Sea Gazetteer netbook (available in the library on the main FoS website) has some stuff on Nebligtode/Todstein/Graben Island. (of course, some of it is relevant only after the module occurs, but it still might give you some ideas.) Same for the Souragne Gaz.
Nox
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Nox »

Skyrock wrote:Jack Shear has compiled some very great PDFs from the stuff he has put out over the years: http://talesofthegrotesqueanddungeonesq ... links.html

Tales of the Grotesque and Dungeonesque I-III are the files you want. The Gothic Earth compilation also has a lot of stuff that works well with Ravenloft. He also offers them as printed books at Lulu.
I wonder how did you find those things! those are really good :D.

Thank you

Edit: Dayum, the more i read, the more i like those tables.
I dont mind about his setting (I honestly dont like it much), but those table are awesome.
The Lesser Evil wrote:Since you're running the GC, the Nocturnal Sea Gazetteer netbook (available in the library on the main FoS website) has some stuff on Nebligtode/Todstein/Graben Island. (of course, some of it is relevant only after the module occurs, but it still might give you some ideas.) Same for the Souragne Gaz.
thank you, i'll take a look at it for sure!

Edit: I'm taking a look at it, and it's one of the best gazetteer to get some ideas!

Thank you both!

If you have more materials like those ones please share them! :D
Skyrock
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Post by Skyrock »

Nox wrote:I wonder how did you find those things! those are really good :D.
TotGaD has been one of the greatest sources of Gothic Horror OSR in the last few years. He also had an interesting remix of Ravenloft to remove some of the inconsistencies and make the hard to use domains like Keening actually playable, but sadly the blog posts have been taken down since.
Nun gut, es sei dir überlassen!
Zieh diesen Geist von seinem Urquell ab
Und führ ihn, kannst du ihn erfassen
Auf deinem Wege mit herab.
- Faust I
The Lesser Evil
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by The Lesser Evil »

If you're looking for Gundar material for FoG, here's some stuff:
-Book of Secrets has a pretty good writeup for him (background and 2e stats). A Calling From Verbrek has 3.5 stats for him.

-Book of Sacrifices has a neat collection of undead bard NPCs- a troupe that was transformed into a cursed undeath by Medraut for not serving as the Duke's spies. They're called the Morts-Qui-Dancent.

-Orinda Nahle (from the Lights in the Fog article of the Book of Secrets) is a retired adventurer who was widowed and maimed by Duke Gundar. Nahle now lives in the Kartakan hamlet of Chord as its meistersinger.

She could serve as a patron or aid for the player characters in FoG, or as a way to get things back on track if the plot gets derailed. Or even an alternate plot hook for getting the Crown of Soldiers if the PCs don't buy into Akriel's story. Certainly, Nahle might like a way of undoing Gundar. After the PCs go get the Crown, Akriel/Dr. Dominiani could hold Nahle hostage and then you'd get a show-down at the Dark Keep that way.

The Book of Secrets and the Book of Sacrifices are on the Kargatane website. http://www.kargatane.com. "A Calling from Verbrek" is is an adventure PDF located in the Library of the FoS website.
Nox
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Nox »

Thank you all again! I think i have enough material for now! I'll spend some time reading.
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

I liked Arksylvania.

Crack that whip. Fight those vamps.
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

-from Moby Dick (Hermann Melville)