Greenbound summoning on Ravenloft?

Discussing all things Ravenloft
Nox
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Greenbound summoning on Ravenloft?

Post by Nox »

Should i allow it?

Is it possible with summoning restrictions?

Thanks in advance!
Skyrock
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Re: Greenbound summoning on Ravenloft?

Post by Skyrock »

It depends on your interpretation of how the feat works.

If you go with the "imbued with the powers of the forest" sentence, it is a transformation that is applied to a creature, so it would be fine as long as the base creature can be found in the domain.

If you assume that the creature has to already have the Greenbound template, Greenbound creatures have to exist in the domain - something that might well be the case in any domain with primeval, undisturbed wilderness like Verbrek or Kartakass. In more developed and populated domains like Dementlieu or Zherisia, not so much.

In general, it is one of the best 3.5 feats boosting one of the best Tier 1 classes, the druid. You must be aware that you are in a high-powered game when you allow it unmodified (which is fine - 3.5 shines in high-powered games).
If you feel the need to tone it down in Ravenloft, well, it either calls forth an animal deeply seeped with the primeval powers of the pseudo-natural environment of the demiplane, or it twists a living, existing animal with it. Either way it is not gonna be a nice, likeable and understanding furball that is going to relate well to any human like a Greenbound creature may be in nicer campaign settings.
Nun gut, es sei dir überlassen!
Zieh diesen Geist von seinem Urquell ab
Und führ ihn, kannst du ihn erfassen
Auf deinem Wege mit herab.
- Faust I
Nox
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Nox »

Skyrock wrote:It depends on your interpretation of how the feat works.

If you go with the "imbued with the powers of the forest" sentence, it is a transformation that is applied to a creature, so it would be fine as long as the base creature can be found in the domain.

If you assume that the creature has to already have the Greenbound template, Greenbound creatures have to exist in the domain - something that might well be the case in any domain with primeval, undisturbed wilderness like Verbrek or Kartakass. In more developed and populated domains like Dementlieu or Zherisia, not so much.

In general, it is one of the best 3.5 feats boosting one of the best Tier 1 classes, the druid. You must be aware that you are in a high-powered game when you allow it unmodified (which is fine - 3.5 shines in high-powered games).
If you feel the need to tone it down in Ravenloft, well, it either calls forth an animal deeply seeped with the primeval powers of the pseudo-natural environment of the demiplane, or it twists a living, existing animal with it. Either way it is not gonna be a nice, likeable and understanding furball that is going to relate well to any human like a Greenbound creature may be in nicer campaign settings.
Thankyou very much. I'd like to boost as much as I can the "Ravenloft Mood" of the campaign, but i'm not that good at DM-ing yet, and sometime i find myself in lack of ideas to describe twisted spell and magic effects. I could allow it, but i dont want 2 much power in my campaign though... If the animal has a chance to turn on his summoner that would be more balanced. It's a risky spell to summon a natural ally like this, but could pay off, Or worsen the situation.

How would you handle it?
Skyrock
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Post by Skyrock »

The very first step in 3.5 I always did as a DM was to sit down with the players and agree on power level and available crunch so that everyone can meaningfully contribute and have no one massively outshine the rest. In a campaign with a Druid, a Wizard/Incantantrix and a Cleric/Crusader/Ruby Knight Vindicator it isn't very fun to be the guy who takes Fighter for 20 levels and only has the PHB at hand.

I'm not very good at giving hints on how to meaningfully keep the power level in 3.5 low, as I always found the game better suited for high-powered campaigns, and found it easier to give weak races and classes a boost rather then to nerf the powerful ones. (Players don't mind when someone else at the table gets a break when they struggle, but they usually hate it when you hit them with the nerf bat and shoot holes into their build, which is a lot of work to create.)

I could share my house-rules with you, but I'd first need to translate them as I wrote them down in German.
Nun gut, es sei dir überlassen!
Zieh diesen Geist von seinem Urquell ab
Und führ ihn, kannst du ihn erfassen
Auf deinem Wege mit herab.
- Faust I