Age of Worms

Discussing all things Ravenloft
GreenWood
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Age of Worms

Post by GreenWood »

Has anyone here ever adapted The Age of Worms adventure path from Dungeon magazine to Ravenloft? There are several elements that are not Gothic horror, but many that are. It will take some adjustments, but I'm going to try it.
I, the Lord of the Midnight Green, now give rise to my final dream.
The Lesser Evil
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: Age of Worms

Post by The Lesser Evil »

Could be used as one setup for the Time of Uparalleled Darkness. Biggest things I'd see:
1) some of the locations (e.g. the Free City) are a lot bigger than most of Ravenloft's communities.
2) as with a lot of APs, the plethora of outsiders needs to be replaced.
3) the time of Kyuss predates the demiplane by a whole lot, either placing him squarely in false history (which somewhat diminishes the impact if it's "not true"). Alternatives:
-The Mists reached back in time and grabbed whatever land he was in (ala Kalidnay)
-He was already ancient and buried long before the Mists captured whatever land he was in. Because he was incapacitated during the years of the domain's formation, Kyuss never formally became a darklord.

Quick conversions off the top of my head:
-One of the people in that adventure is secretly Mordenkainen. In [
VIEW CONTENT:
] Curse of Strahd, we see an insane Mordenkainen up in the mountains of Barovia. Perhaps by later in the century, Mordenkainen may have regained some mental stability and began preparing for the Time of Unparalled Darkness, though he is still a wildcard.
-Ebon Triad deity conversion
*Erythnul- Malar/the Moon Beast Cult, Irlek-Khan, or the Wolf God
*Hextor- Bane/the Lawgiver
*Vecna- Same
GreenWood
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Post by GreenWood »

I was going to use the he was already in the land as it was pulled into Ravenloft bit. The free city being a metropolis, I'm just going to scale the city down. I am placing it in Richemulot. Sounds like a huge stretch, but here is why. The cities are larger in size, much so in fact, than their population would suggest. Delving back into time is impossible, past the year 694. I'm saying that instead of just a false history, the Dark Powers are shielding knowledge of Kyuss being trapped. I'm using Pont-a-Museau as the free city, and either placing a village near the gasping lake a la diamond lake, or using Ste. Ronges as Diamond lake- the town. Like I said, lots of tweaks, but the horrific aspects of the campaign intrigue me.
Ender
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Ender »

There's a lot of work that would need to be done for it to fit Ravenloft, in my opinion. I'm actually running a heavily modified Age of Worms in another campaign setting at the moment. Aside from the outsiders in it, you'll also have to consider the dragons involved. There's at least one vampiric dragon and one dracolich in addition to a regular old black dragon.
GreenWood
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Post by GreenWood »

I actually am going to keep the dragons and fiends. I have run Ravenloft campaigns that were very story driven. Lots if role playing, very Gothic horror. I have also run campaigns that I would describe as, the world of Castlevania, for lack of a better term. High action , more combat, with Gothic monsters. It really depends on my group. This one is a Castlevania campaign. My group this time around are newer players, who like the setting, enjoy the atmosphere, but want a different feeling. This may seem very, Un Ravenloft, but I am giving them a campaign that they have fun with.
GreenWood
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Post by GreenWood »

I think the dragons are more horrific, because they are so rare in Ravenloft.