The Abbot of St Markovia (Spoilers for CoS)

Discussing all things Ravenloft
thekristhomas
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

The Abbot of St Markovia (Spoilers for CoS)

Post by thekristhomas »

So I was wondering what we thought of this character?

On one level, he seems like a mash-up of Dr Fran, Yagno Petrovna, Mordenheim and Isolde from Carnival, and I'd have probably preferred it to have been one of these, but is there a workable NPC in there or is he just too "busy"?

Also, how about those Belviews? I was immediately reminded of Pratchett's Igors and am considering altering the Belviews to more closely match that idea, but how do you like them as portrayed?
thekristhomas
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: The Abbot of St Markovia (Spoilers for CoS)

Post by thekristhomas »

Also is there any history of St Markovia in the setting before now? It's tickling something in the back of my mind, I know Andral became St. Andral sometime round dungeon 207, but is there any mention of St Markovia maybe in these forums?
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

Well, Markov was from a village in Barovia IIRC.
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
"I am not mad, no matter what you're implying." - Litalia
My DMGuild work!
thekristhomas
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by thekristhomas »

alhoon wrote:Well, Markov was from a village in Barovia IIRC.
Haha yes, sorry, of course there's Frantisek Markov and Markovia, but I mean specifically St. Markovia
Skyrock
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Post by Skyrock »

St Markovia was AFAIK first mentioned in 3.5 Expedition to Castle Ravenloft (p. 119, 182, 216). This has also some text on her life biography, but with the very very loose connection of that adventure to the campaign setting it's up to you how much of that is true and relevant for your game.
Nun gut, es sei dir überlassen!
Zieh diesen Geist von seinem Urquell ab
Und führ ihn, kannst du ihn erfassen
Auf deinem Wege mit herab.
- Faust I
thekristhomas
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by thekristhomas »

Skyrock wrote:St Markovia was AFAIK first mentioned in 3.5 Expedition to Castle Ravenloft (p. 119, 182, 216). This has also some text on her life biography, but with the very very loose connection of that adventure to the campaign setting it's up to you how much of that is true and relevant for your game.
That would be why I couldn't remember it EtCR is the only iteration of I6 that I haven't got access to
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

I imagine they are making a nod to the campaign setting's monastery ruins in the domain of Markovia.

I get that Frantisek Markov is darklord of a domain named after him, but in-game (referring here to the full campaign setting, as presented in 2E materials), but do people in the Demiplane actually call a wilderness with no human settlements by the name of a crazy butcher exiled into the Mists? Do most people understand that Markov is the Disoamblet?

But what if the land is so named because it used to be controlled by the Abbot of Saint Markovia?

Anyway, re the 5E mini setting, I don't know much about it. This Abbot sounds like he might be fun.
Where is the Abbey?
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

-from Moby Dick (Hermann Melville)
Cromstar
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Post by Cromstar »

ewancummins wrote:I imagine they are making a nod to the campaign setting's monastery ruins in the domain of Markovia.

I get that Frantisek Markov is darklord of a domain named after him, but in-game (referring here to the full campaign setting, as presented in 2E materials), but do people in the Demiplane actually call a wilderness with no human settlements by the name of a crazy butcher exiled into the Mists? Do most people understand that Markov is the Disoamblet?

But what if the land is so named because it used to be controlled by the Abbot of Saint Markovia?

Anyway, re the 5E mini setting, I don't know much about it. This Abbot sounds like he might be fun.
Where is the Abbey?
I have actually been mulling over that question and am considering a post on the subject at some point.

But on the bigger point of St. Markovia and Markov/Markovia...I'll place my money on false history as a reasonable explanation. We know the plane can effect the memories of people already in the plane easily enough, so in order to provide some justification for the monastery and the land of Markovia and all that...it retro-actively created the now-defunct St. Markovia and his abbey of followers.
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Saint Markovia is a dude?

For some reason, I assumed the name was feminine. But fantasy names are what they are.
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

Cromstar
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Post by Cromstar »

ewancummins wrote:Saint Markovia is a dude?

For some reason, I assumed the name was feminine. But fantasy names are what they are.
I have no details on Saint Markovia. I defaulted to male pronoun because that's what I do as a male myself. It may also have been influenced by the fact Markov is male. The Saint might be a female, I legitimately don't know.
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Cromstar wrote:
ewancummins wrote:Saint Markovia is a dude?

I have no details on Saint Markovia. I defaulted to male pronoun because that's what I do as a male myself. It may also have been influenced by the fact Markov is male. The Saint might be a female, I legitimately don't know.
I default to the male pronoun most of the time because it is standard English usage.
It includes both genders in such cases.

I just assumed, probably incorrectly, that there was more background information on the Saint in the Curse of Strahd materials. I also guessed the Saint was meant to be a woman because the name ending looks feminine to me, judging by other Barovian names I have seen. That -ia ending.
But you are of course correct; Saint Markovia could be a dude.
I'd probably rename him Markov or Markovian, though. Just seems more masculine to my eye. YMMV. Barovian names are a whacky mishmash of fantasy names and real world names, anyway.

ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

I found this excerpt:

http://static.ow.ly/docs/11_CoS_Barovia ... s_4v2Y.pdf

It has Curse of Strahd version of Barovia names.

Skyrock
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Post by Skyrock »

According to EtCR Markovia was a woman.
Nun gut, es sei dir überlassen!
Zieh diesen Geist von seinem Urquell ab
Und führ ihn, kannst du ihn erfassen
Auf deinem Wege mit herab.
- Faust I
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Skyrock wrote:According to EtCR Markovia was a woman.
Thanks for the answer.

thekristhomas
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by thekristhomas »

ewancummins wrote: Anyway, re the 5E mini setting, I don't know much about it. This Abbot sounds like he might be fun.
Where is the Abbey?
Krezk, but this version of Krezk is largely an village that services the Abbey.

The Abbey itself has devolved into an asylum run by the Abbot and inhabited by the Belview clan. The Belviews are an inbred, insane family that came to the Abbey to cure leprosy which had taken hold of the family. The Abbot cured the leprosy, but was then persuaded by the family to attempt to "perfect" them, namely by gifting them with animalistic traits. Despite his abilities (the Abbot is a deva) he was unable to do so until he accepted the help of one Vasili von Holtz, he now is able to alter the Belviews as requested, turning the entire clan into mongrelmen (though they also seem a bit like calibans and broken ones). The Abbot uses the Belviews to punish the people of Krezk if they do not show him the respect he feels he deserves (like not arranging for enough wine)

The Abbot has become corrupted to the point of madness, but still believes himself to be good. His latest scheme to save Barovia involves creating a "bride" for Strahd, if Strahd can be made happy, the Abbot reasons, the curse will be broken. So the Belviews take on the part of Igor (Horg if you prefer) robbing graves for the parts for a female flesh golem that the Abbot intends to educate into the perfect companion for Strahd