the Falkovnian slave trade

Discussing all things Ravenloft
thekristhomas
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

the Falkovnian slave trade

Post by thekristhomas »

Falkovnia uses demi-humans as slaves, this much we know.

Where do the demi-humans come from? After all, one would think that demi-humans from the other domains would simply avoid Falkovnia, raiding parties into Darkon would be dealt with swiftly and Outlanders don't pop up enough to supply an entire nation.

It would seem therefore that slaves are "locally bred" by the Falkovnians. Humans are encouraged to breed with slaves (elves presumably) to breed out the taint, are they prevented from breeding with each other so as not to spread the taint? If so the numbers of slaves will be generally falling.

Where did these slaves originally hail from? Were there entire elven settlements in Falkovnia that were enslaved, and if so, what secrets might these lost settlements still hold?

IIRC most of the canon info is regarding elves, but presumably dwarves and halflings are also among them (possibly kender, given Drakov's origins)
Five
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: the Falkovnian slave trade

Post by Five »

Personally, I find it a ridiculous notion to assume that because Drakov has failed in his numerous invasions of Darkon that Falkovnia and it's machinations are limited to its own borders. Drakov may not be able to achieve military success overall, but that's not to say that other Falkovnians share in his miserable track record. Given the intense bigotry, loyalty, and subsequent sycophantic nature of his realm (rank is status and Drakov's attentions are medals to be shown) then it is only logical to assume that there is an extremely sophisticated slave trade travelling the roads leading into Falkovnia.

A good portion of slaves would have been spoils of war on all of the campaigns against Darkon, of that I have no doubt. Wagonloads of miserable, terror-stricken demihumans passing raw recruits on their way to the front lines. A symbol of national pride for the youngsters, a visual reminder of what it is to be a successful hero of the realm; a very visceral sense of true supremacy. It's their God-given right to stand on top of the pile. Now let's get in there, do our job, and get what we deserve...!

Ambition can, and does, disguise cowardice. Many of the prominent slave owners would no doubt be veterans of the Dead Man's Campaigns, though perhaps only through roll call. And the most ambitious of these would maintain a flow of slaves even though the war is over (again). Standing on top of the pile is standing on top of the pile. And if that means parading your trophies of war under the noses of those that actually bore witness to the horrors of those wars then so be it. You're still doing your part in greasing the (propaganda) wheels of the nation. Let the next generation of warriors see you for what you are: a survivor. A war hero (by default - dead men tell no tales!)...

Falkovnian soldiers, some probably not even branded, are roaming the Core, order-picking soon-to-be slaves in the middle of the night and returning them to Falkovnia for their COs (hey, it doubles as a training exercise!). Others are, by the light of the moon, meeting the greedy slavers of other nations with coin and weapons. Quid pro quo. And others still are making bold, strategic, and uniformed raids into Darkon. Just because they are told to. I also don't buy Darkon/Azalin as always having the one-up on Falkovnia/Drakov.

All of this would be done on a strictly supply and demand basis of course. All registered through the appropriate department, I's dotted, T's crossed, and paperwork (and copies) filed nice and neat. To have it any other way would be a personal affront. Drakov needs posterboys (victories, no matter how small) at this junction in Falkovnian history and until the next campaign rolls out, then men in this "unique" position are symbols of power for the masses to aspire to, for supremacy (and Fear) is the grease that keeps the war machine running.

Failure is not an option. Not unless you like the idea of being given a very public wooden enema...
"A very piteous thing it was to see such a quantity of dead bodies, and such an outpouring of blood - that is, if they had not been enemies of the Christian faith."

- Jean Pierre Sarrasin, "The Memoirs of the Lord of Joinville"
Five
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Five »

thekristhomas wrote:Humans are encouraged to breed with slaves (elves presumably) to breed out the taint, are they prevented from breeding with each other so as not to spread the taint? If so the numbers of slaves will be generally falling.
They are encouraged to breed out portions of taint (half-blood, quarter-blood, etc). As to the spreading of taint, no idea. I would imagine it's a generation one eugenics tactic, and not much more than that. Probably a subculture of "deviant" sexuality, but yeah. Do your duty for the nation, take one for the team. Or, have a subordinate do it for you if there's an amount of stigma attached to the deed (if you care enough about that sort of thing).

Also, a good portion of slaves come from Falkovnians (the human ones) as well. It's a punishment with less commercial value, but it's written to appear as common enough.

So the slave ring/trade I proposed above might not actually be that large. Probably on the smaller end of the scale. As with everything, it all depends on the DM's wants and needs. I personally would have the Falkovnian government lean towards military experiments and a "nationally-funded" labour force as a form of prison population control when it comes to humans. You can't have a supreme nation and its monuments built on the backs of the lesser species; there is no pride in that (that the spin doctors can work with/on the next generation of soldiers). That, and eventually the thread of hypocrisy will be pulled.

Domestic slavery would then lean towards high-priced and tightly clipped, numbers-wise, demihuman slaves. It's a status thing. I'm the best of the best, and I practice what I preach. Hail Kingfuhrer!
"A very piteous thing it was to see such a quantity of dead bodies, and such an outpouring of blood - that is, if they had not been enemies of the Christian faith."

alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

Honestly, I go the other way: There are very few demihuman slaves in Falkovnia, aside of kobolds that are local. Yes, there's a law about this 0.1% but that's that.

No slave parties (these are not the Mongol) for me either, since the Talons aren't concerned about forcing humans to work like slaves without actually calling it slavery. In the cities, the Talons and other kind of Falkovnian soldiers are enough and powerful enough to be able to swiftly crush a rebellion. The way Falkovnia is presented, Talons have broken the will of the people in the dystopian cities.

To be sincere, the way I see Falkovnia is the way the rest of the core sees Falkovnia (per Drakov's curse): A miserable place where a brutal group of unsophisticated exceptionally cruel bunch of thugs has gained power and through violence, cruelty and harsh, unjust punishments have cowed and bullied the population to do their bidding. Since the top-bully is not a real threat (because borders) except to his own miserable people, his gang is too powerful to be messed with and he keeps the wheat coming from the back of the people he oppresses, the Core's leadership is mostly happy to make jokes on the savage and his bullies and otherwise ignore him.

Drakov is IMC seen more like a bandit king, leading an exceptionally powerful (and cruel) bunch of thugs than a legitimate ruler.
Last edited by alhoon on Thu Jul 14, 2016 8:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
"I am not mad, no matter what you're implying." - Litalia
My DMGuild work!
brilliantlight
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by brilliantlight »

I would figure there would be greedy people in other domains who kidnap people, drug them and smuggle them to Falkovnia.
brilliantlight
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by brilliantlight »

alhoon wrote:Honestly, I go the other way: There are very few demihuman slaves in Falkovnia, aside of kobolds that are local. Yes, there's a law about this 0.1% but that's that.

No slave parties (these are not the Mongol) for me either, since the Talons aren't concerned about forcing humans to work like slaves without actually calling it slavery. In the cities, the Talons and other kind of Falkovnian soldiers are enough and powerful enough to be able to swiftly crush a rebellion. The way Falkovnia is presented, Talons have broken the will of the people in the dystopian cities.

To be sincere, the way I see Falkovnia is the way the rest of the core sees Falkovnia (per Drakov's curse): A miserable place where a brutal group of unsophisticated exceptionally cruel bunch of thugs has gained power and through violence, cruelty and harsh, unjust punishments have cowed and bullied the population to do their bidding. Drakov is IMC seen more like a bandit king, leading an exceptionally powerful (and cruel) bunch of thugs than a legitimate ruler.
Agreed, he is a mercenary thug who was jealous of his employers and wanted to be them. He has his wish granted but at the expense of being the butt of jokes all though the domains except at home. He is well aware of this humiliating circumstance which makes him all the more oppressive at home. He wants to inspire fear in others , particularly other rulers. Every time he gets crushed the less fear he inspires in them , he looks less and less like a military threat and more and more like a strutting buffoon. He wants to be an "Adolph Hitler" but winds up a "Benito Mussolini".
Five
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Five »

alhoon wrote:

To be sincere, the way I see Falkovnia is the way the rest of the core sees Falkovnia (per Drakov's curse): A miserable place where a brutal group of unsophisticated exceptionally cruel bunch of thugs has gained power and through violence, cruelty and harsh, unjust punishments have cowed and bullied the population to do their bidding. Since the top-bully is not a real threat (because borders) except to his own miserable people, his gang is too powerful to be messed with and he keeps the wheat coming from the back of the people he oppresses, the Core's leadership is mostly happy to make jokes on the savage and his bullies and otherwise ignore him.

Drakov is IMC seen more like a bandit king, leading an exceptionally powerful (and cruel) bunch of thugs than a legitimate ruler.
Given the Black Box material I would agree. Given 3E, I would disagree. The various Ministries (Arcane, Finance and Trade, Science, etc), to me, are proof that Falkovnia is more than a bunch of thugs and harmless bullies. I would venture a guess that Falkovnia became aware of the Core's mocking, and the patronizing tone of the other realms have only entrenched the Falkovnians into becoming what they are fed on a daily basis. In a twisted way the Core is moulding Falkovnia, bringing more and more "truth" to their BS. In the least, feeding the military's pride.

On the other hand, it is possible that these "Ministries" aren't half of what they are made out to be, that they are pathetic attempts at being seen as something more than the thugs and bullies they are. It very well could be a cultivated lie to continue enabling the current regime to play out their motives and to hold onto power. Interesting, for sure.

Yet given its arms deal with Lamordia (Gaz II, p. 103), I lean against this vibe. That deal single-handedly upped the CL/military capabilities of the domain, by roughly three hundred years! That's massive, and as far I'm aware no other realm in RL has managed to accomplish such a feat. And even if the current ranks haven't fully given in to the concepts and applications of this technology, then in the least that puts ambition, through that same technology, into the handlers of these thugs and brutes. The addition of the Ministry of Arcane (!) is another indicator that Vlad is transforming his tactics in a very serious way.

If he's not a legitimate ruler, then the Core's apathy is going to make him one.

brilliantlight
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by brilliantlight »

Five wrote:
alhoon wrote:

Given the Black Box material I would agree. Given 3E, I would disagree. The various Ministries (Arcane, Finance and Trade, Science, etc), to me, are proof that Falkovnia is more than a bunch of thugs and harmless bullies. I would venture a guess that Falkovnia became aware of the Core's mocking, and the patronizing tone of the other realms have only entrenched the Falkovnians into becoming what they are fed on a daily basis. In a twisted way the Core is moulding Falkovnia, bringing more and more "truth" to their BS. In the least, feeding the military's pride.

On the other hand, it is possible that these "Ministries" aren't half of what they are made out to be, that they are pathetic attempts at being seen as something more than the thugs and bullies they are. It very well could be a cultivated lie to continue enabling the current regime to play out their motives and to hold onto power. Interesting, for sure.

Yet given its arms deal with Lamordia (Gaz II, p. 103), I lean against this vibe. That deal single-handedly upped the CL of the domain. In the least that puts ambition (through technology) into these thugs and brutes. The addition of the Ministry of Arcane (!) is another indicator that Vlad is transforming his tactics in a very serious way.

If he's not a legitimate ruler, then the Core's apathy is going to make him one.
The way I see it part of Drakov's curse is that he will rule a domain that isn't first in anything even with the ministries. He can't even pretend to compete in the arcane compared to Strahd, Azalin, Halzik and Meredoth around, he can hire casters but they can't compete with those geniuses. He can't compete in tech with Lamordia, Paridon or Mordent while Paridon , Noses and Lamordia are all better in trade. Even as far military genius is concerned he isn't number one. Strahd at least is ahead of him, Elena Faithhold and Diamabe likely so and when they were around Soth, Venca and Kas were all his superiors.

Outside of the military all his ministries are staffed mainly by non-citizens IMO as his people are well educated only in war and even that is only the elite. So in the end he can't take credit for what his people are doing, virtually none of them were born in Falkovnia. So in the end he is always , at best, second rate.
Five
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Five »

brilliantlight wrote: The way I see it part of Drakov's curse is that he will rule a domain that isn't first in anything even with the ministries. He can't even pretend to compete in the arcane compared to Strahd, Azalin, Halzik and Meredoth around, he can hire casters but they can't compete with those geniuses. He can't compete in tech with Lamordia, Paridon or Mordent while Paridon , Noses and Lamordia are all better in trade. Even as far military genius is concerned he isn't number one. Strahd at least is ahead of him, Elena Faithhold and Diamabe likely so and when they were around Soth, Venca and Kas were all his superiors.

Outside of the military all his ministries are staffed mainly by non-citizens IMO as his people are well educated only in war and even that is only the elite. So in the end he can't take credit for what his people are doing, virtually none of them were born in Falkovnia. So in the end he is always , at best, second rate.
Drakov/Falkovnia doesn't need to compete in tech with CL 8/9 domains. Thanks to his (Falkovnia's) deal with Lamordia he already possesses the technology. The Ministry of Science is "conducting secret research at the cutting edge of science." (Gaz II, p. 99) That's internal competition, with the focus on pure military as opposed to economic.

Drakov/Falkovnia doesn't need to compete with Strahd, Azalin, Hazlik, or Meredoth when it comes to arcane studies. The focus is currently on enchanting arms and armor, along with "special projects", not in training battle wizards (Gaz II, p. 99). All can theoretically add up to take down lesser numbers...Darkon being the lone exception.

Drakov doesn't need to possess a keener military mind than Strahd, Elena Faithhold, or anybody else: they are one and he is many. Not that he'll ever admit to it. Drakov's only concern is in keeping his war council thinking that he calls the shots. Or, believing in his own lies that he is actually calling the shots.

Anyway, you have some good points. I'm not for or against. I'm just laying it out there that a nation doesn't have to be the best in-class, and of every category, to achieve military conquest.

When speaking of Falkovnia in general, their potential is growing exponentially. Falkovnia has the men, it can have the weapons, and it can have magical defence and (enough) offence to assist it in wreaking havoc on a realm of magic users. If left unchecked, Falkovnia can become the most well-rounded domain in RL. Only Darkon/Azalin would arguably be able to stand up to that full fury potential. For, in theory, Falkovnia could succeed in military expansion, through insubordinate actions taken by superior minds, but Drakov himself cannot possibly claim it due to the powers that be. Seriously, what's stopping a cagey power-hungry general from laying waste to some domain and not returning home to Falkovnia? Victory in battle is superiority to the rank and file, and battle merit would be an easy foundation to build on, given the nature of Falkovnian society.

While Drakov's ideologies are the force behind the war machine, his ego is the cause of its impotence. It's only a matter of time before one of the monsters he's created learns this truth, seizes the opportunity, and becomes that which Drakov can never be...in my mind anyway.

That said, don't mind me. I'm just pushing some possibilities of Falkovnia more because I'm bored with the constant focus on Strahd and Azalin than anything else. Something BIG needs to happen to RL that doesn't involve either of those guys. It has to. And Drakov/Falkovnia is the only other person/place that has the (equal) ambition to do so, as far as I can recall.

brilliantlight
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by brilliantlight »

Five wrote:
brilliantlight wrote: The way I see it part of Drakov's curse is that he will rule a domain that isn't first in anything even with the ministries. He can't even pretend to compete in the arcane compared to Strahd, Azalin, Halzik and Meredoth around, he can hire casters but they can't compete with those geniuses. He can't compete in tech with Lamordia, Paridon or Mordent while Paridon , Noses and Lamordia are all better in trade. Even as far military genius is concerned he isn't number one. Strahd at least is ahead of him, Elena Faithhold and Diamabe likely so and when they were around Soth, Venca and Kas were all his superiors.

Drakov/Falkovnia doesn't need to compete in tech with CL 8/9 domains. Thanks to his (Falkovnia's) deal with Lamordia he already possesses the technology. The Ministry of Science is "conducting secret research at the cutting edge of science." (Gaz II, p. 99) That's internal competition, with the focus on pure military as opposed to economic.

Drakov/Falkovnia doesn't need to compete with Strahd, Azalin, Hazlik, or Meredoth when it comes to arcane studies. The focus is currently on enchanting arms and armor, along with "special projects", not in training battle wizards (Gaz II, p. 99). All can theoretically add up to take down lesser numbers...Darkon being the lone exception.

Drakov doesn't need to possess a keener military mind than Strahd, Elena Faithhold, or anybody else: they are one and he is many. Not that he'll ever admit to it. Drakov's only concern is in keeping his war council thinking that he calls the shots. Or, believing in his own lies that he is actually calling the shots.

Anyway, you have some good points. I'm not for or against. I'm just laying it out there that a nation doesn't have to be the best in-class, and of every category, to achieve military conquest.

When speaking of Falkovnia in general, their potential is growing exponentially. Falkovnia has the men, it can have the weapons, and it can have magical defence and offence to assist it in wreaking havoc on a realm of magic users. If left unchecked, Falkovnia can become the most well-rounded domain in RL. Only Darkon/Azalin would arguably be able to stand up to that full fury potential. For, in theory, Falkovnia could succeed in military expansion (through insubordinate actions taken by superior minds), but Drakov himself cannot possibly claim it due to the powers that be. Seriously, what's stopping a cagey power-hungry general from laying waste to some domain and not returning home to Falkovnia? Victory in battle is superiority to the rank and file, and battle merit would be an easy foundation to build on, given the nature of Falkovnian society.

While Drakov's ideologies are the force behind the war machine, his ego is the cause of its impotence. It's only a matter of time before one of the monsters he's created learns this truth, seizes the opportunity, and becomes that which Drakov can never be...in my mind anyway.

That said, don't mind me. I'm just pushing some possibilities of Falkovnia more because I'm bored with the constant focus on Strahd and Azalin than anything else. Something needs to happen to RL that doesn't involve either of those guys. It has to.
It is a matter of pride, in theory he doesn't have to be number one in any one thing to be a military threat but that isn't that isn't the point. The point is he wants desperately to be number one in something and he isn't. He can hire casters but they won't be the like of Strahd and Azalin. We are talking about a 16 level vampiric necromancer who was able to create his own custom undead and an 18th level lich who was able to create a ton of unique magic items. He can't hire casters of such power, they aren't for sale. They are much better off on their own than as a hireling of a mercenary leader and are no doubt contemptuous of him.

He can buy tech abroad but it is doubtful Lamordia is selling its very best and he has the same problem hiring scientists as he does casters. The best can do better off by themselves and think they are better than him. He can hire only second raters.

He might have talented subordinates but deep down he knows he isn't the military equal of Strahd. It grates on his nerves that there is someone out there more talented militarily than him, several in fact.
Five
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Five »

brilliantlight wrote:
It is a matter of pride, in theory he doesn't have to be number one in any one thing to be a military threat but that isn't that isn't the point. The point is he wants desperately to be number one in something and he isn't. He can hire casters but they won't be the like of Strahd and Azalin. We are talking about a 16 level vampiric necromancer who was able to create his own custom undead and an 18th level lich who was able to create a ton of unique magic items. He can't hire casters of such power, they aren't for sale. They are much better off on their own than as a hireling of a mercenary leader and are no doubt contemptuous of him.
He doesn't need spellcasters to be able to go toe-to-toe with a powerful spellcasting vampire/lich, assuming that information is available to the Ministry of Intelligence. He needs just enough magic to prevent the past from happening: fallen soldiers rising in death and joining the other side and demoralizing his troops, etc. And that doesn't necessarily mean he needs combat units of spellcasters either. Magical items, alchemical substances and the like can/will suffice. Maybe. Time will tell.
He can buy tech abroad but it is doubtful Lamordia is selling its very best and he has the same problem hiring scientists as he does casters. The best can do better off by themselves and think they are better than him. He can hire only second raters.
Seeing how the basis of trade was technology (arms, armor, and supplies technically) for non-aggression pacts and food, I doubt the Lamordians are withholding much. Fear is a powerful tool. That, and reverse-engineering can make it all a moot point. Kidnappings aside.
He might have talented subordinates but deep down he knows he isn't the military equal of Strahd. It grates on his nerves that there is someone out there more talented militarily than him, several in fact.
Assuming he knows of Stahd's past military exploits, true enough. If he doesn't, then Strahd is nothing more than a reclusive count in a backwater realm that somehow keeps the fear of god in his subjects. This needs to be looked into before any action is taken. The Ministry of Intelligence will provide the necessary details.

As to the others...I don't know of any who he would know about and compare himself to, to be honest with you.

As to being number one in anything, yeah. He's not. So he continues to build, as evident by the realm's progress between 2E and 3E.

As to his pride, you're right. He's keeping the full potential of his army in check because of it. Enter the idea behind a fractured Falkovnia.

The nation is torn in two. King Vlad on one side, a (much, much needed) war hero on the other. It's military power is reduced because of it, but to some it finally gets it's great victory. Vlad and his tantrums become the stuff of legends. The general scorches and salts the earth his troops trample through. They settle in (whatever domain you want them to). The signatories behind the Treaty of the Four (Three) Towers are forced to use clever economics to keep the splinter force locked down via siege warfare. A peace agreement between Vlad and his once right hand is the only hope for the survival of Falkovnia. Neither faction has enough military might to push through. Heads rolls, bodies are impaled, and the agreement goes up in flames. New Falkovnia takes a last stand and is annihilated. Falkovnians become dejected and fall into a sort of national depression. Military order begins to break down with the insurrection that emerges from the chaos. Vlad, the warlord supreme, is left with grain. Nothing but grain. He is Caesared while fuming at the sight of it, his legacy, and Falkovnia begins again, as farmers with a dream...

Or Vlad/Falkovnia can remain the ever impotent domain that it is made out to be. Rumbles, grumbles, and laughs.

Or something else entirely. Whatever.

Five
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Five »

Getting back to slaves, Gaz II states that there is a total of 3,858 demi-humans (1,286 halflings, 1,286 half-elves, 643 gnomes, 643 elves) that call Falkovnia home, as opposed to 59,799 humans. How many of that demi-human population are actually slaves is beyond me. As a straight-cut, that's what, 1 slave for every 15th person?

It could very well be that most, if not all, of the higher-ranking military officials would have several slaves each. Well, those that are less hardcore with their racist views than the others. Mid-level officers might have one or two slaves, for the missus, if they can afford it. And no doubt the Ministry of Science gets its fair share as well. The rest, Drakov only knows.

Either way, there doesn't seem to be much of an argument for a crazy amount of slaves shuffling about the streets of Falkovnia. Unless you want there to be.

brilliantlight
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by brilliantlight »

Five wrote:
brilliantlight wrote:
He doesn't need spellcasters to be able to go toe-to-toe with a powerful spellcasting vampire/lich, assuming that information is available to the Ministry of Intelligence. He needs just enough magic to prevent the past from happening: fallen soldiers rising in death and joining the other side and demoralizing his troops, etc. And that doesn't necessarily mean he needs combat units of spellcasters either. Magical items, alchemical substances and the like can/will suffice. Maybe. Time will tell.
Seeing how the basis of trade was technology (arms, armor, and supplies technically) for non-aggression pacts and food, I doubt the Lamordians are withholding much. Fear is a powerful tool. That, and reverse-engineering can make it all a moot point. Kidnappings aside.
Assuming he knows of Stahd's past military exploits, true enough. If he doesn't, then Strahd is nothing more than a reclusive count in a backwater realm that somehow keeps the fear of god in his subjects. This needs to be looked into before any action is taken. The Ministry of Intelligence will provide the necessary details.

As to the others...I don't know of any who he would know about and compare himself to, to be honest with you.

As to being number one in anything, yeah. He's not. So he continues to build, as evident by the realm's progress between 2E and 3E.

As to his pride, you're right. He's keeping the full potential of his army in check because of it. Enter the idea behind a fractured Falkovnia.

The nation is torn in two. King Vlad on one side, a (much, much needed) war hero on the other. It's military power is reduced because of it, but to some it finally gets it's great victory. Vlad and his tantrums become the stuff of legends. The general scorches and salts the earth his troops trample through. They settle in (whatever domain you want them to). The signatories behind the Treaty of the Four (Three) Towers are forced to use clever economics to keep the splinter force locked down via siege warfare. A peace agreement between Vlad and his once right hand is the only hope for the survival of Falkovnia. Neither faction has enough military might to push through. Heads rolls, bodies are impaled, and the agreement goes up in flames. New Falkovnia takes a last stand and is annihilated. Falkovnians become dejected and fall into a sort of national depression. Military order begins to break down with the insurrection that emerges from the chaos. Vlad, the warlord supreme, is left with grain. Nothing but grain. He is Caesared while fuming at the sight of it, his legacy, and Falkovnia begins again, as farmers with a dream...

Or Vlad/Falkovnia can remain the ever impotent domain that it is made out to be. Rumbles, grumbles, and laughs.

Or something else entirely. Whatever.
Now if he is overthrown by one of his generals things could change. It is his pride and stubbornness that holds things back. The general replacing him probably can't go on grand conquests as the DP's won't let him but he can accomplish some things. If he is smart he will do things like hire his army out like Drakov does with the Dukkar. Continue that and do so in a few other places. He wouldn't have conquered but he will have influence.
jamesfirecat
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by jamesfirecat »

I'd say that 90-95% of the demi-humans in Falkovnia are slaves, and the other are bandits/freedom fighters who are trying to resist Drakov or recently freed slaves who are making a run for various borders as anywhere (okay maybe not the Shadow Rift) is better for them than Falkovnia, though I think Richemulot is probably the most popular destination given that it has about a 9% population of Falkovnian expats.

I imagine a lot of elf slaves may come from Sithicus being seized by Invidian forces during minor raids as part of Malocchio's way of paying for Drakov's help.

Not sure about dwarfs because I'm not sure if there's a place in Ravenloft that is known for having a lot of dwarfs, (darkon?) in it that could be raided for slaves.

There probably aren't human slaves in Falkovnia since the slavery is more racially motivated than economically, so you probably don't have humans being drugged and sold into slavery in Falkovnia. That said, there might be some human prisoners who are put to the same work as slaves, but that's for crimes they've committed and only until they've served their sentence while slavery is for life.

Falkovnia probably doesn't want to have a reputation as this blackhole that people from other nations go to and never come back from, it's probably a safe enough place to visit, as long as you're human, you have your papers, and you obey the law which will be strict, but soldiers probably aren't going to take out their aggression /hatred on visiting people from other domains the way they would their own civilians just because they are there and can't defend themselves, and the fact that those visitors lack a hawkbrand make it easy to tell them apart.

Basically I can imagine it would be a safe enough life to be a Lamordian arms merchant to Falkovnia, even if you'd probably have to tear your hair out trying to build a better crossbow rather than sell them guns and cannons.
Last edited by jamesfirecat on Fri Jul 15, 2016 9:17 am, edited 3 times in total.
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

Five wrote: If he's not a legitimate ruler, then the Core's apathy is going to make him one.
Well, first yes at some point it should be done so. The apathetic ones deserve to realize one day that Falkovnia is not "that place under an unwashed barbarian with delusions of grandeur, that sends us food and we hire killers from".
But... legitimacy is solely based on the perceived right to rule I think, not modernization and military might. The Mongols at one time held half of Eastern Europe and yet nobody (officially) considered them legitimate rules.

I have to say though, that what you said clicks well with Drakov's curse. Efforts of modernization, of turning Falkovnia (through tons of blood and decades of work) to a dystopic-but-actual country ... and continued to be snobbed as nothing but an imposter that doesn't belong in civilized company but should stay outside with the other guards.
Five wrote: He doesn't need spellcasters to be able to go toe-to-toe with a powerful spellcasting vampire/lich, assuming that information is available to the Ministry of Intelligence. He needs just enough magic to prevent the past from happening: fallen soldiers rising in death and joining the other side and demoralizing his troops, etc.
Well, on that (and military expansion)... there's no mortal magic that can overcome borders.

Unless the ministry of intelligence (That I doubt is as good as that in research, they probably spy on each other) figures that a captured fiend is the way to break through borders or a Baatezu drops by to help for some reason openly using its reality wrinkle, ANY invasion from Falkovnia can be dealt with a moment's notice from most of its neighbors.

And assume you are in the ministry of intelligence. Would you tell him that there's no way to pierce borders? That he will FOREVER fail to conquer even the opera-loving people of Dementlieu that have less soldiers than the smallest of his cities?
I know I wouldn't... ;)

As for scientists and casters... I am a scientist and morals aside I wouldn't emigrate to such a place for work. Too much risk of becoming the dinner entertainment after a failed experiment.
Last edited by alhoon on Fri Jul 15, 2016 4:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
"I am not mad, no matter what you're implying." - Litalia
My DMGuild work!