Quoth the Raven #23 - Submissions Open

Discussing all things Ravenloft
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Quoth the Raven #23 - Submissions Open

Post by Gonzoron of the FoS »

... the Forgotten Legacies revealed to me by the Thaani Gentleman had nearly cost me everything, body and soul. Pursued by monstrous agents of the law, and a mysterious witch with missing memories, I slipped into a dark marketplace of inhuman denizens, and took a mad, desperate flight through lands once thought lost to the ages ... These were the price of delving into my own murky origins. But now those secrets are sealed forever, and I return to the familiar home I'd made for myself. And while many fear this cursed land, it is a comfort to those of us who know and respect its dangers. Just don't go out at night, keep your garlic and silver close at hand, and don't ever, ever cross the Count. ah.. fair Barovia, where it all began...

The Fraternity of Shadows is now accepting submissions for the 23rd installment of Quoth the Raven, Ravenloft's most mysterious annual netbook. In honor of this year's return to the roots of our beloved setting in Curse of Strahd, the theme for the 2016 issue will be Barovia: I am the Land.

Count Strahd and his realm have inspired everything that came after them in the demiplane of dread. And this land of curses and terror has been expanded more than any other through the years since. It holds vampires of course, but also werewolves, vistani, mad mages, an ice spectre, hags, zombies, ravenkin, necromancers, gods of light and darkness, golemcrafters, toy sellers, lost relatives of Strahd, vampire hunters in disguise, Thaani, Forfarans, Tergs, conquered neighbors from Gundarak, the Baal Verzi, Wachters and Dilisnyas, a headless Trader, and even a kobold sorcerer and an infamous Sheriff. Tell us what else might be lurking within the lands of the choking fog. Pick a corner of the realm that's never been fleshed out before, or a character in need of an update, or a new menace or hero lurking in Strahd's demesne, or tackle the big man himself and give us a new spin on everyone's favorite obsessed vampire. Come back with us to where it all began, and make your mark in the place the vistani call the "Heart of the World".

As always, we are looking for anything related to Ravenloft, Masque of the Red Death, or horror in general. The theme is deliberately open ended, but still a suggestion, not a restriction. If you have something great that doesn't fit in with the theme, send it in anyway!

Ruleset doesn't matter! We accept articles using any edition of D&D rules, or even other systems. Some of the best articles don't have any rules text at all! And if you're interested in having your rules converted to another system, let us know. There are lots of volunteers eager to help.

See our submission guidelines for official rules.

Submit your articles to QTR@fraternityofshadows.com. The deadline is September 30th, 2016, but feel free to send your articles in early, especially if you're looking for feedback.

And remember, the master of Ravenloft is always looking for new dinner guests...
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."
Jester of the FoS
Jester of the Dark Comedy
Jester of the Dark Comedy

Re: Quoth the Raven #23 - Submissions Open

Post by Jester of the FoS »

I'd personally like to encourage people to flesh out the cities of Barovia with people, stores, small hooks, and the like. Especially if those cities work with Curse of Strahd.

In general I'd like this to be the Curse of Strahd expansion for QtR...
TristenC
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by TristenC »

I'm currently working on a pre-conjunction Teufeldorf, but it could be easily converted for after the Barovian takeover.
That which doesn't kill you just means you made your save... this time...
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

If I may, 2 1/2 months is cutting it a bit short. Yes, I should have known when the deadline would be, so I don't really have an excuse.

But as inexcusable I may be, I don't think I'll have the time. I have a half-cooked idea about an adventure that involves, prophecies, omens, family curses, insanity, ambition, greed... and I need to tie it all together in a coherent way + write it down.
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
"I am not mad, no matter what you're implying." - Litalia
My DMGuild work!
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

alhoon wrote:If I may, 2 1/2 months is cutting it a bit short. Yes, I should have known when the deadline would be, so I don't really have an excuse.
True. We'd wanted to get this out earlier, but fate intervened. So, while we do want this to be Curse-of-Strahd-centric, we will, as always, be accepting other submissions.
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

I have Barovia things in mind, but not CoS. More towards the generic Barovia of the Gazeteer era. You know, Strahd not interfering much, all people have souls, a larger population so that it can have different settlements etc.
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
My DMGuild work!
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

alhoon wrote:I have Barovia things in mind, but not CoS. More towards the generic Barovia of the Gazeteer era. You know, Strahd not interfering much, all people have souls, a larger population so that it can have different settlements etc.
I think this could easily fall into the "expanding CoS" category.
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

Pretty much yeah. What I have in mind COULD work with CoS although it has no connection with it.
My DMGuild work!
NeoTiamat
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by NeoTiamat »

I think I am Barovia-ed out after QtR #21. That said, I've got a G'Henna re-imagining to submit, and a Nova Vaasa one that is about 80% done. Will need to finish and send that in.
Ravenloft GM: Eye of Anubis, Shattered City, and Prof. Lupescu's Traveling Ghost Show
Lead Writer & Editor: VRS Files: Doppelgangers; Contributor: QtR #20, #21, #22, #23, #24
Freelance Writer for Paizo Publishing
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

NeoTiamat wrote:I think I am Barovia-ed out after QtR #21.
Yeah, if only we'd know CoS was coming, maybe we would have sat on that one for a couple years. :) I think you've more than done your duty in service of Barovia....
Skyrock
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Post by Skyrock »

If I can overcome my phlegma and laziness, I will submit a one-page dungeon (an adventure format that is IMHO yet underutilized for Ravenloft).
Or if I'm really feeling ambitious, maybe even a short series of OPDs from Level 1 to 3 as alternative to the haunted house entry scenario in CoS? The old CRPG adaption of I6, "Strahd's Possession", had some interesting ideas on how to pad the way between the gates of Barovia and the village with small adventures and could probably be milked and/or referenced.
Gonzoron of the FoS wrote:Yeah, if only we'd know CoS was coming, maybe we would have sat on that one for a couple years. :)
You need to have a serious word with your Vistani seers about that one.
Nun gut, es sei dir überlassen!
Zieh diesen Geist von seinem Urquell ab
Und führ ihn, kannst du ihn erfassen
Auf deinem Wege mit herab.
- Faust I
Joël of the FoS

Post by Joël of the FoS »

Back from vacation, and we have already 5 submissions for QtR 23 :)

John Berndt (3)
Mikhail Rekun
Paul West

If your name isn't there, or if you haven't received a confirmation that we received your article, let me know!

Joël
"A full set of (game) rules is so massively complicated that the only time they were all bound together in a single volume, they underwent gravitational collapse and became a black hole" (Adams)
thekristhomas
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by thekristhomas »

Hi, I'm working on a version of the Barovia map that includes the info from CoS on the black box map (you know, like I do). I know it's not much, and it hasn't got words with it (the best I could manage would be a list of references and some explanations as to why I put stuff where), but I think it might be useful to the community and wondered whether it would be acceptable as a submission in it's own right?
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

Good. Saves me the time to do it. :)
My DMGuild work!
thekristhomas
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by thekristhomas »

I've stuck my first draft up for general review on my map thread