Creating Pre-Conjuction Teufeldorf

Discussing all things Ravenloft
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: Creating Pre-Conjuction Teufeldorf

Post by ewancummins »

TristenC wrote:Excellent stuff!
-Maeve sounds like a perfect add/reference. Maybe I can make one of Dominiani's 'patients' a relative as a future hook
-Strangling man of Gundarak: perfect. Can't resist that one
-gallows-style trees in the park sound very appropriate
-the original black box listed the tax on girl children as labor related. Of course couls always be dual-purpose
-excellent ideas regarding girls disguised as boys/ exposure, etc. I would also alter the population dynamic re male/female %
-locals might try to marry off their not-quite 15 yr old daughters to (obviously wealthy) pcs. Or lie and say certain things mean pca are engaged to the girl (you helped her with her spilled basket on a friday at noon! You must be married now!)

SPOILERS

in Knight of the black Rose:
The sister was killed long ago by Medraut. The site where she died is where soth and Azrael spill his blood to attempt to open the portal

Note: if i get all this fleshed out and assembled by Sept 30th, I may try to submit it to Quoth the Raven (with nods to everyone who helped of course ;) )

Yay!

Sounds fun.

Will this be edition neutral, or are you going to include some basic stats?

AD&D 2E?
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

-from Moby Dick (Hermann Melville)
The Giamarga
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by The Giamarga »

Here's my Teufeldorf settlement PF statblock (post conjunction, created from the info in Gaz1)
TristenC
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by TristenC »

My particular campaign is 2e, and since the bulk of my source material for it is either 2e or edition neutral I'll likely present it in 2e format. I want it to be as Canonical as possible but generic enough for anyone ro tweak and plug-in so I probably won't give hard-specs to too much. Likely just Mapping locations/people of interest and descriptions.

Hard-specs will likely include:
Population (around 4000 per RoT black box), % male/female (extrapolated from kidnapped girls/wars/military conscription). May or may not include non-humans or half-visitani, but either would be extremely low %. Details on goods, livelihoods, shops (based on source material, political and geographic items).\

Definitely including the Twisted tower. Mostly rumors for now, may make fleshing it out my next project (military interest, local place for torture/dungeon for Gundar, additional lab for 'experiments [hell, he let's Dominiani do them, why not others?])
That which doesn't kill you just means you made your save... this time...
The Giamarga
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by The Giamarga »

Third, there is also mention of the old dukes of Gundarak's false history building heavy fortifications complete with networks of tunnels beneath. However, because Gundarak fell to Barovia relatively easily following the upheaval, we might infer that the tunnels and fortifications fell into disuse (probably unlikely, given the relatively safety of the towns and Gundar's militant nature.)
Falling easily to Strahd does not imply the fortifications/tunnels where not in use. Strahd is a very good general and has a lot of magical powers available to him.

Thought believe as of Gaz 1 they are at least partially used by beggars and pickpockets iirc.
The Lesser Evil
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by The Lesser Evil »

Ok, more on Castle Hunadora. There's a brief description of it in Gaz IV (a paragraph or less) that is relevant to pre-GC Gundarak. Highlights:
-a walled, stone keep constructed upon an artificially created mound of earth.
-surrounded by a moat with writhing... things thought to be left over from the days of Medraut's experiments
-Dungeons/catacombs/sewers/hidden passageways so numerous and so deep that 7 years after the Invidian rebels took it over, they still had a lot more to explore.
-Filled to the brim with traps
-Unusually, Gundar left a a tactical flaw in the keep's defense by letting the trees build up next to it.
The Lesser Evil
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Assorted Noncanon/Netbook canon stuff of possible interest

-Grimor, a race of gargoyle like monsters created at the behest of Gundar. See their entry in "Terrors from the Above", p. 69-70, which is no longer available for download unfortunately.
http://fraternityofshadows.com/wiki/Category:Grimor

-Gundar (Article from the Book of Secrets, goes into the life and times of Duke Gundar, gives stats and background.)

-Morts-Qui-Dancent, a troupe of traveling bards cursed with undeath, they must continuously perform or else become deceased. in 641 BC back when they were alive, Gundar tried to force them into being his spies. When they refuse, he has Medraut torture and curse them with a unique necormantic curse that renders them undead. (see their entry in the Book of Sacrifices)- This group is not specifically located in Gundarak as it is mobile, but of potential historical value
http://fraternityofshadows.com/wiki/Cat ... ui-Dancent

-Orinda Nahle, retired adventurer, celebrity, and meistersinger of Chord (a small hamlet in Harmonia). Enemy of Duke Gundar, her husband was killed by Gundar and she was maimed. Could be useful in FoG or thereafter as an ally against Gundar. See the article "Lights in the Fog" in the Book of Secrets
http://fraternityofshadows.com/wiki/Orinda_Nahle

-Silent Death, a "performance torturer" whom worked for Duke Gundar prior to the fall of Gundarak, see QtR 10 p. 59
http://fraternityofshadows.com/wiki/Silent_Death
Hamiclar
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Hamiclar »

Hello, enjoying the research you have done. I have group that started in Zeindenburg which I described really oppressive and ripe with crime inside and outside the city. I have elf lead thief guild interested in the thief in group a murder suspect.

The castle I saw picture on a previous site a couple years back in group of possible sites I believe. The map is great I sort of had one made with terraclix I have included sewer and catacombs. My question is the water which surrounds castle Hanadora which is mentioned in NOB. The black box though mentions the hill in which castle was built on. The map shows the main river no where near the castle so I was thinking of having it man made dug around the castle with the experiments form Madraut in the water. I am thinking of him being a Vampire now but entombed by his father in his chamber with the Black wizards assistance. My group may find him later which may be either be a benefit or challenge depending on the situation in that Mendraut has a great deal of arcane items he confiscated or discovered over the years before his imprisonment.

I had my group run into bodies hanging on trees the priestess in the group actually thought they were alive and attempted the free them to some consequences to the group. She was originally throwing holy water on them when I described some of them were hissing and she than approached them thinking them living.

I ran FOG years ago I had them run the people they freed to small towns near Tuefoldorf I had them witness I bride get seized and the oppression a tax encounter for starting fire for the camp and soldier/tax collectors which ended with the group being wanted for tax evasion. My current group is going to be hunted for having a wizard. In a previous novel tapestry of souls it mentions one of people as being from Gundarak in which those which practiced the arcane were actively hunted by group has been low key on casting spells so far, but as soon as they cast in public they will be turned and start being hunted by the Black Wizards. Another thing they Vistani are hunted and vandalized by the public I had some of the those hung on trees with word Vistani only while other have thief, traitor tax evader.

Regarding Doctor Domaini the people of Tuefoldorph would look kindly but some would question those that never had but can not be found or others which are pretty much lost ones now while previously they may have been rebels.
TristenC
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by TristenC »

Thanks, I think i'd go the same way on a lot of the things you mentioned (undead victims hanging from trees, guards siezing girls in view of the party, ) I'm planning to use the magic-resistant Grimor as scattered guardisns in the twisted tower. It might be good to have a few hunting the town for mages.

Questions posed about laws from previous posts:
-Weapons bigger than a dagger must have a permit. Hefty fine per weapon and for being armored. [Gundar wants to keep s tight fist on the populsce. Only soldiers and those with permits may arm or armor themselves].
-Casters, while not illegal, tightly controlled by the state. Hefty price for 'passing through', staying any length of time requires a temporary permit. Dissenters are hunted by Grimor.
-Priests not illegal, but jealousy/suspiciously watched/tracked by priests of Nerull. Will be attacked if they are discovered to be in Opposition to any ongoing plans
-most violent crimes punishable by death/torture. Thievery punishable by hefty fines and imprisonment if they can't pay (which usually means torture/death)

There will be a very active thieves guild and assassin's guild.
Spell components on black market, or sold in shops around tower (who will report pcs for a reward)
Hamiclar
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Hamiclar »

I would make the weapons lower grade steel cold steel for instance since it may have been obtained from black market or crude weapons working. Finer metal would be in adjoining domains.
The Lesser Evil
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

TristenC wrote: -most violent crimes punishable by death/torture. Thievery punishable by hefty fines and imprisonment if they can't pay (which usually means torture/death)
I don't think imprisonment would be a thing here, it seems to go against the purposes of Gundar's regime. Maiming, whippings, brandings, and other corporal punishments seem up his alley, as is seizure of assets. Punishment of friends and relatives too.

Two possible exceptions- Slavery/hard labor (in which the state can profit off of the criminal and likely family). The other possible exception could be adventurers, merchants, and other potentially powerful foreigners passing through the domain. Such people might be capture and held hostage for payment or favors from their allies organizations.
TristenC
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by TristenC »

Imprisonment as a 'volunteer' for experimentation in the twisted tower?