Make sport not war....

Discussing all things Ravenloft
jamesfirecat
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Make sport not war....

Post by jamesfirecat »

Been playing a lot of Blood Bowl recently, and a thought occurs.

I know they have the required Scottish games in Forlorn, and horsey sports in Nova Vassa, possibly some Sking or dog sledding in Lamordia but has there ever been anything apppoaching a Ravenloft version of the Olympics or even just a Core-wide sport that many different domains practice?

Given that actual armed confrontation rarely ends well for the person who started it, it might be amusing if we saw some of the sort of "displacement" effect where nations vie for gold medals instead of victories on the battlefield at some point in Ravenloft's future.

Of course if Ravenloft domains actually had Blood Bowl teams Richemulots would obviously be the equivalent of Skaven, Sithicus would be Pro Elves, Darkon would be Undead, and Verbrek would be the equivalent of Khorne (ALL OFFENSE, ALL THE TIME! FORGET THE STUPID BALL, DO YOU KNOW WHO FETCHES BALLS? DOGS FETCH BALLS! WE'RE HERE TO MAKE THEM BLEED!) but that's sort of beside the point.

I wonder what sort of sports would appeal to what domains?
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: Make sport not war....

Post by ewancummins »

Ideas:

Richemulot

Rat-baiting. Rats in a pit versus a terrier or weasel. It's been outlawed by the rulers on grounds of animal cruelty, but it remains popular among the urban lower orders, as well as aristocrats and burghers out slumming it. Associated with gambling.

Mordent
Boat races, with rowboats on the River Arden. Sailors and fishermen used to race in the bay, but one year the Mists rolled in and stole several boats full of men.
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

-from Moby Dick (Hermann Melville)
Boris Drakov
Criminal Mastermind
Criminal Mastermind

Post by Boris Drakov »

Huh.

I've never done it on an inter-domain level.

But in a domain I made the political elections of a city were contested by maiming teams. Teams of retainers for the different houses sporting maiming rods who fought it out amongst themselves in the street cheered on by the populace. Of course many schemes and plots went on in the background of this.

And for the same domain I've pondered having a domain-wide wrestling tournament between the different cities. With lots of pride and corruption going along with it.

And concurrently a secret tournament, to the death, amongst the more nefarious lords of that realm.

It could certainly be expanded to inter-domain relations too. But where would you hold it to ensure neutrality?
"I kneel for no-one!"
Resonant Curse
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Resonant Curse »

Boris Drakov wrote:Huh.

I've never done it on an inter-domain level.

But in a domain I made the political elections of a city were contested by maiming teams. Teams of retainers for the different houses sporting maiming rods who fought it out amongst themselves in the street cheered on by the populace. Of course many schemes and plots went on in the background of this.

And for the same domain I've pondered having a domain-wide wrestling tournament between the different cities. With lots of pride and corruption going along with it.

And concurrently a secret tournament, to the death, amongst the more nefarious lords of that realm.

It could certainly be expanded to inter-domain relations too. But where would you hold it to ensure neutrality?
Necropolis. :wink:
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Gonzoron of the FoS »

Resonant Curse wrote:
Necropolis. :wink:
Maybe we should suggest that as an alternative to Rio. ;)
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."
Hazgarn
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Hazgarn »

For some reason I can't shake the idea that, not only does Falkovnia have one hell of a jugger team, but that it's likely the domain's national sport.

(Played the traditional way, of course, impaling an actual dog's skull on a spike, and none of those nancy Mordentish rules about padding...)
Deranged Comics Fan
Strife-monger
Daughter of a Troll
Dark Angel
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Dark Angel »

Hazgarn wrote:For some reason I can't shake the idea that, not only does Falkovnia have one hell of a jugger team, but that it's likely the domain's national sport.

(Played the traditional way, of course, impaling an actual dog's skull on a spike, and none of those nancy Mordentish rules about padding...)
Should I know what "jugger" is and should I be afraid based solely on your post, Hazgarn?

Probably a no and yes combination.
"One does not stop playing when they get old, they grow old when they stop playing" George Bernard Shaw
"If you could be either God’s worst enemy or nothing, which would you choose?" Chuck Palahniuk
Hazgarn
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Hazgarn »

Yeah, yes and no. It's somewhat obscure.

It's from a sci-fi film called The Blood of Heroes (aka Salute of the Jugger), which is basically a post-apocalyptic sports movie. Jugger consists of two teams bashing the heck out of eachother with weapons while a runner from each one fights to control a dog's skull and score by sticking it on a stake at the end of the field. The movie has enough of a cult following that it inspired a few different leagues in real life that play the sport (though naturally with modified rules).
Deranged Comics Fan
Strife-monger
Daughter of a Troll
twinwolf
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by twinwolf »

ah... ala Rollerball
Not every Angel alights the sky with feathery wings of Glory,
Nor every Demon with cloven hoof hunts unwary Quarry.
No, but evil exists in this world and in the hearts of us all,
For let us not forget even the greatest of Angels fell.
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Hazgarn wrote:Yeah, yes and no. It's somewhat obscure.

It's from a sci-fi film called The Blood of Heroes (aka Salute of the Jugger), which is basically a post-apocalyptic sports movie. Jugger consists of two teams bashing the heck out of eachother with weapons while a runner from each one fights to control a dog's skull and score by sticking it on a stake at the end of the field. The movie has enough of a cult following that it inspired a few different leagues in real life that play the sport (though naturally with modified rules).

That movie sounds totally metal!

How did I miss it?

http://66.media.tumblr.com/32c91c5619b7 ... 7_1280.png

Edit

I added it to my Netflix queue.
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

-from Moby Dick (Hermann Melville)