Re: Mordexit

Post by Mistmaster »

The Iron Pact will invade.
Zilfer
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Zilfer »

I'm guessing this is a joke towards what's going on in the UK? But it does bring up an interesting question if one or more of them backed out what would happen. Is this Pact even keeping them safe from Drakov? They haven't fought any battles since it was put into place right?
There's always something to lose.

Fraternity of Shadows Discord
https://discord.gg/AM6Kp95ekf
thekristhomas
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by thekristhomas »

Zilfer wrote:I'm guessing this is a joke towards what's going on in the UK? But it does bring up an interesting question if one or more of them backed out what would happen. Is this Pact even keeping them safe from Drakov? They haven't fought any battles since it was put into place right?
Yes it's a Brexit gag, but thanks for engaging

IIRC there have been no hostilities since the treaty, but the gaz series does suggest further Falkovnian aggression on the horizon, it might be that one of the nations might attempt to jump ship in order not to become embroiled in that
Five
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Five »

There's a large island somewhere west of Dominia that is currently being exploited by a merchant consortium dependant upon but operating outside the knowledge of the treaty's signatories. It's been going on for almost twenty years in fact. And it's lucrative. So much so that nobody is backing out of the treaty, especially Mordent. Arden Bay has too much strategic value to give up at this point in time.

Well, not if they or their mysterious new "employer" has anything to say about it...

Hell's Bells, chapter one.
"A very piteous thing it was to see such a quantity of dead bodies, and such an outpouring of blood - that is, if they had not been enemies of the Christian faith."

- Jean Pierre Sarrasin, "The Memoirs of the Lord of Joinville"
Dion of the Fraternity
Lurker Maximus
Lurker Maximus

Post by Dion of the Fraternity »

Funny this came up, as I've been DMing a Mordent-only campaign for two months now. It's still a horror game, but I basically stripped all of Ravenloft from it so as to make it simply an England-sized confederacy that isn't part of any world at all.
thekristhomas
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by thekristhomas »

Dion of the Fraternity wrote:Funny this came up, as I've been DMing a Mordent-only campaign for two months now. It's still a horror game, but I basically stripped all of Ravenloft from it so as to make it simply an England-sized confederacy that isn't part of any world at all.
That right there is the Brexiteer wet dream :D
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Dion of the Fraternity wrote:Funny this came up, as I've been DMing a Mordent-only campaign for two months now. It's still a horror game, but I basically stripped all of Ravenloft from it so as to make it simply an England-sized confederacy that isn't part of any world at all.
So Mordent got a lot bigger? Interesting.
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

-from Moby Dick (Hermann Melville)
kottakinge
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by kottakinge »

thekristhomas wrote:What if Mordent voted to leave the Treaty of the Five Towers? :D
Big troubles will occur.
And of course citizen of Mordent will regret this decision cause they decided to leave for bad reasons.
brilliantlight
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by brilliantlight »

Drakov thinks it is now time to strike and then gets curbstomped by whoever he invades.
Mistmaster
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Mistmaster »

I prefer to think Drakov curse as such that he can never get the victory he wish for; maybe, hemanages to conquer but he can't keep the conquest, or he get only small gains with heavy losses; It's more interesting that saying he get curbstomped everytime.
The Lesser Evil
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by The Lesser Evil »

For what it's worth, Drakov seems to have little interest in capturing Mordent (Gaz III p. 71), perhaps because he'd have to cross Dementlieu, Richemulot, or both to get to that tiny, remote place.
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Five wrote:There's a large island somewhere west of Dominia that is currently being exploited by a merchant consortium dependant upon but operating outside the knowledge of the treaty's signatories. It's been going on for almost twenty years in fact. And it's lucrative. So much so that nobody is backing out of the treaty, especially Mordent. Arden Bay has too much strategic value to give up at this point in time.

Well, not if they or their mysterious new "employer" has anything to say about it...

Any relation to a certain large island introduced in a Dungeon magazine adventure?
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

-from Moby Dick (Hermann Melville)
The Lesser Evil
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by The Lesser Evil »

Hearing this snippet has me curious; could you elaborate a little bit more on this?

Like by, "that isn't part of any world at all", you mean it's all by itself without anything past it's borders?

And by stripping away Ravenloft, do you mean just the physical locations of the Core, or do you mean everything associated with the Demiplane of Dread (the Mists, powers checks, darklords, etc?)
Five
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Five »

ewancummins wrote:
Five wrote:There's a large island somewhere west of Dominia that is currently being exploited by a merchant consortium dependant upon but operating outside the knowledge of the treaty's signatories. It's been going on for almost twenty years in fact. And it's lucrative. So much so that nobody is backing out of the treaty, especially Mordent. Arden Bay has too much strategic value to give up at this point in time.

Any relation to a certain large island introduced in a Dungeon magazine adventure?
It could be...if I knew what issue and adventure you were talking about. :)

Seriously, I just blurted that out kind of johnny-on-the-spot. I've been meaning to twist the Treaty of the Four Towers into something special for a while now but I haven't really gotten around to it.

I was thinking of blending the Quevari, Colonel Kurtz (I have yet to read "Heart of Darkness"), a small cult of Robert E. Howard's Serpent Men dedicated to the Great Serpent, and Summerisle into an island domain with themes of very dark psychological/quasi-psychedelic intrigue, both personal and political.

I have my fingers in different projects now, so they've all suffered due to lack of proper attention.
"A very piteous thing it was to see such a quantity of dead bodies, and such an outpouring of blood - that is, if they had not been enemies of the Christian faith."

- Jean Pierre Sarrasin, "The Memoirs of the Lord of Joinville"