Discussing all things Ravenloft
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: Mordexit

Post by ewancummins »

Five wrote:
ewancummins wrote:
Five wrote:There's a large island somewhere west of Dominia that is currently being exploited by a merchant consortium dependant upon but operating outside the knowledge of the treaty's signatories. It's been going on for almost twenty years in fact. And it's lucrative. So much so that nobody is backing out of the treaty, especially Mordent. Arden Bay has too much strategic value to give up at this point in time.

Well, not if they or their mysterious new "employer" has anything to say about it...

Hell's Bells, chapter one.
Any relation to a certain large island introduced in a Dungeon magazine adventure?
It could be...if I knew what issue and adventure you were talking about. :)

Seriously, I just blurted that out kind of johnny-on-the-spot. I've been meaning to twist the Treaty of the Four Towers into something special for a while now but I haven't really gotten around to it.

I was thinking of blending the Quevari, Colonel Kurtz (I have yet to read "Heart of Darkness"), a small cult of Robert E. Howard's Serpent Men dedicated to the Great Serpent, and Summerisle into an island domain with themes of very dark psychological/quasi-psychedelic intrigue, both personal and political.

I have my fingers in different projects now, so they've all suffered due to lack of proper attention.
House at the Edge of Midnight

The Isle is large if you are comparing it with the Black Box scale for the Core.

http://www.fraternityofshadows.com/wiki/The_Isle
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

-from Moby Dick (Hermann Melville)
Dion of the Fraternity
Lurker Maximus
Lurker Maximus

Post by Dion of the Fraternity »

The Lesser Evil wrote:Hearing this snippet has me curious; could you elaborate a little bit more on this? Like by, "that isn't part of any world at all", you mean it's all by itself without anything past it's borders?
There probably is, but with the way that the story's going, none of my players really care what's beyond.
The Lesser Evil wrote:And by stripping away Ravenloft, do you mean just the physical locations of the Core, or do you mean everything associated with the Demiplane of Dread (the Mists, powers checks, darklords, etc?)
Physical locations yes. The rest remain; but again, my players are too immersed with their own Mordentish problems to care.
tomokaicho
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by tomokaicho »

I prefer to think that the military conquests can't make permanent changes to a domain. Drakov's forces may occupy a domain, but true control of the domain remains with the darklord.
Five
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Five »

ewancummins wrote:
House at the Edge of Midnight

The Isle is large if you are comparing it with the Black Box scale for the Core.

http://www.fraternityofshadows.com/wiki/The_Isle
I never even heard of that domain. I really should browse the wiki some day...

I did read the article though. Interesting from a weekend in hell perspective, though another mad scientist, especially in the Sea of Sorrows (western RL) had put a damper on my imagination. As a quick hit for adventurers I didn't mind it though. The island seemed a bit ill-used (countryside retreat/estate/summerhome could've sufficed), but overall not bad.

So no, that's not the island I was referring to. But thanks for the hit all the same.
"A very piteous thing it was to see such a quantity of dead bodies, and such an outpouring of blood - that is, if they had not been enemies of the Christian faith."

- Jean Pierre Sarrasin, "The Memoirs of the Lord of Joinville"