IDW COMICS "Shadow of the Vampire" comics Issue 2

Discussing all things Ravenloft
Resonant Curse
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

IDW COMICS "Shadow of the Vampire" comics Issue 2

Post by Resonant Curse »

Spoilers:

"Although there are rumored to be many shadow-ridden lands within Ravenloft, the most famous is Barovia [...]"

Simce this presumably happens in the 5th edition era (since Minsc being resurrected happened during the Heroes of Baldur's Gate series that lead into one of the Neverwinter MMO expansions which came out in 4th edition-5th), that bodes well for other domains being detailed eventually. I don't like Ravenloft being the in-world term for the Domains of Dread, but whatever.

We get Vistani and Madam Eva in this installment.
Resonant Curse
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: IDW COMICS "Shadow of the Vampire" comics Issue 2

Post by Resonant Curse »

Also, Tatyana's amulet protects the bearer from Strahd's poisonous mists.
PMárk
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by PMárk »

Noticed too. I hope this will mean the wider setting's official acknowledgement outside of CoS and Barovia in the future. It' surely exciting!

Also: there's no such thing as too much Minsc and Boo! :D Actually I kinda like the whole team, it would be cool if they get the treatment something similar to Pathfinder's iconics and comics line, I hope these comics will be a success. 5E definitely needs some distinct characters and stories outside of Salvatore/Evans/Greenwood, regardless of how much I enjoy these (particularly Evans at this point). Drizzt and co is nothing new, Elminster too, Farideh and the merry band of misfits are newish, but started under 4E. I think it would be good to 5E for having some fresh faces (I know, Minsc is also not new, but this is his first appearance outside of the games I'm avare of).
Resonant Curse
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Resonant Curse »

PMárk wrote:Noticed too. I hope this will mean the wider setting's official acknowledgement outside of CoS and Barovia in the future. It' surely exciting!

Also: there's no such thing as too much Minsc and Boo! :D Actually I kinda like the whole team, it would be cool if they get the treatment something similar to Pathfinder's iconics and comics line, I hope these comics will be a success. 5E definitely needs some distinct characters and stories outside of Salvatore/Evans/Greenwood, regardless of how much I enjoy these (particularly Evans at this point). Drizzt and co is nothing new, Elminster too, Farideh and the merry band of misfits are newish, but started under 4E. I think it would be good to 5E for having some fresh faces (I know, Minsc is also not new, but this is his first appearance outside of the games I'm avare of).

He had a brief appearance in the novelization of Baldur's Gate II Shadows of Amn, but he was nothing like his character in game. His only other appearances have been in the Legends of Baldur's Gate comic series (prequel to this) and he appears in the Neverwinter MMO with the last expansion. But yes, Minsc and Boo are always fun.

Somewhat off topic, but Beamdog has rereleased the Baldur's Gate games in "enhanced editions" with bug fixes, extra classes, races, and quests over the last few years, and just released Baldr's Gate Siege of Dragonspear, an expansion that falls between BG and BG II.
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Gonzoron of the FoS »

Finally picked this one up and read it. It was surprisingly entertaining. Madame Eva is .... different from what I picture. But that's fine, I suppose. Loved Strahd lurking in the shadows at the end, and also the visual of the guy being swept up by a swarm bats and carried away. I'll have to use that one.

I finally figured out who Minsc reminds me of... The Tick. It's odd to see so much humor in Ravenloft, contrasting with Madame Eva's seriousness for example. But viewed as "The Tick meets Ravenloft", it kinda works... Would I prefer something 100% serious and moody. Yeah, maybe. But I'll accept this and go along for the ride.

The alternate covers are killing me, though. 4 for the 1st issue, 3 for the second, Looks like 3 for the third... what's a collector to do?! grumble, grumble...
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."