Harkon's REAL Crime (WARNING! Mature Content)

Discussing all things Ravenloft
The Lesser Evil
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: Harkon's REAL Crime (WARNING! Mature Content)

Post by The Lesser Evil »

DeepShadow of FoS wrote:
When Harkon taken from Cormyr and deposited into the comparatively backwoods Barovia, he went on another killing spree, this time on wolves and werewolves.

I'm not around my books at the moment, but Mistipedia is missing this second killing spree. What's your source on that?
"Lukas felt that the fates had cursed him. Had they not swept him to this strange place in an attempt to rob him of his destiny? He was angry and desperate, and only the warm, familiar taste of blood seemed to calm him. For a long time, he hunted and killed the wolves and werewolves that infested the mountainous landscape. Then one night, he came face to face with Barovia's vampire lord..."

-Realm of Terror (black box) p. 102, Ravenloft Campaign Setting: Domains and Denizens (Red boxed set) p. 71, Domains of Dread p. 64

"Frenzied by this turn of events, Harkon went berserk, hunting down and slaying the wolves that run thick in the Barovian forests. Count Strahd noticed the depredations and confronted the interloper"

-Gaz I p. 146
DeepShadow of FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: Harkon's REAL Crime (WARNING! Mature Content)

Post by DeepShadow of FoS »

The Lesser Evil wrote:A couple of things on Harkon. First, in canon, not every son or daughter of his becomes a greater wolfwere, though there has been some contradictions as to when they become greater wolfweres. 2e sources (Feast of Goblyns, Ravenloft Monstrous Compendium I&II) say it's only the children of he sires with humans that become greater wolfweres (implying that Akriel was the daughter of a relationship between Harkon and another wolfwere, for example.)
Where are you getting this from? FoG, under Greater Wolfweres, says: "Greater wolfweres were originally the offspring of Harkon Lukas, Lord of Kartakass. So great was his evil power that the children he had by female wolfweres turned out to be of incredible power. Greater wolfweres never mate with each other, rather, they mate with typical wolfweres."

Crap, that's even MORE evidence that Suvie's on to something--they are specifically avoidant of incest.
The Avariel has borrowed wings,
The Puppeteer must cut the strings
The Orphan Queen must take the throne
The Queen of Orphans calls them home