Exploring Hijkal....

Discussing all things Ravenloft
jamesfirecat
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Exploring Hijkal....

Post by jamesfirecat »

The Lesser Evil wrote:Off topic and I hope not to hijack, but it's good to see more fan material getting discussed. (Especially the lesser known stuff like the treasures the FoS saved from Alanik Ray's site). The Ravenloft community on the net has created/continues to create create really neat things and even worlds of Ravenloft all their own.

I'm also glad I guessed right on the source for that domain in entering it into the Mistipedia- I have never played the game before so I had to do a little poking around on google. ;)
7th Guest sounds like an interesting game tho.

Though the writeup is a little bit disjointed if you're not familiar with the game, Hijikal and its DL sounds like it would make for a harrowing adventure as typical of a pocket domain. His backstory is great enough that you'd almost want to go out and investigate things related to his past and then go back into the tower several times rather than just be stuck inside of it all the time.
Moving this to a new thread so that what was once off topic now magically on topic!

(I'm a great magician! YOUR CLOTHES ARE BLACK!)

I think that the most interesting way to handle this particular domain is that you need to add a layer of Myst (another great point and click with the goal of escaping this crazy place by solving puzzles game) in that maybe some of the books/games in Hijkal transport you to other places, other times (okay a touch of Forlorn's castle also) so that the PCs can see some of the backstory of the DL play out before their eyes rather than needing to have darklord spout it all off to them before it is time to kung fu fight at the end of the adventure.

Possibly the information gained from these quests could be necessary to solve the updated puzzles as well so it's not just window dressing...