CONFIRMED: Ravenloft for 5th Edition

Discussing all things Ravenloft
Ken of Ghastria
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Re: CONFIRMED: Ravenloft for 5th Edition

Post by Ken of Ghastria »

FYI: The release of the next wave of Adventurers League modules has been delayed a week. They're now scheduled to be on the DMs Guild on Tuesday, May 10.
"There are three rules for writing a novel. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."
--W. Somerset Maugham
Ken of Ghastria
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

"There are three rules for writing a novel. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."
--W. Somerset Maugham
Jester of the FoS
Jester of the Dark Comedy

Post by Jester of the FoS »

Purchased and downloaded!
Ken of Ghastria
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Now that "The Ghost" is officially out, I can say that I'm delighted at least one of my Ravenloft easter eggs survived the editing process. :)
--W. Somerset Maugham
Jester of the FoS

I helped record a review of Curse of Strahd here:
http://www.thetomeshow.com/e/curse-of-strahd-tome-264/
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Gonzoron of the FoS »

Gonzoron of the FoS wrote:
Ender wrote:They're selling the 3.0 version... instead of the updated 3.5? Or did they just fail to differentiate when they say 3.0?
Pretty sure it's 3.0. The 3.5 version has a different name. (Ravenloft Player's Handbook). They might not realize it's 90% the same book.
FWIW, the 3.5 RLPH is now available in pdf from drivethru as well...
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."
Resonant Curse
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Resonant Curse »

It's taken me a while to actually start delving into the adventure and I've got to say that, while it has replayability (to an extent) due to the card reading , there are a lot of changes to canon where there didn't really need to be and bizarre leaps of logic.

On its own I would put it as decent, but coming from a detailed and rich campain setting, even as just a revamp of the first adventure that predated the setting, it contradicts so many thigs that come after as to make me pretty disgusted.
Vistani can leave the Domains of Dread
Van Richten around well before his birth
Strahd's history with the Vistani and the Tergs
The Dark Powers being defined
Etc.

Any of those cause problems for at least a few adventures or novels. Honestly, if they had wanted to remake it and not Ravenloft en masse, they should have just kept it with no references to the greater Ravenloft mythos. No DP, no hinted at other domains, no Van Richten, etc because then you can just treat it as a fun revamp for nostalgia. Because it ties in all of the other aspects, it makes it so it should be reconciled with canon/other products which gives us another Nova Vassa debacle.

Got to say, for pitching such a fit over the whole Soth being ported over from Dragonlance, Hickman grabbed Mordenkainen from Greyhawk to throw around without a problem.

Also, given the several adventure hooks where someone comes to talk to the party, it seems really hard to swallow that adventurers, wouldn't question being asked to walk about 5 miles to some road/woods they have never heard of and not question that fact. Most D&D adventurers have wandered at least a fair amount locally and could hardly miss something like a forest, highway, etc.
Dion of the Fraternity
Lurker Maximus
Lurker Maximus

Post by Dion of the Fraternity »

To be fair, the Vistani have always been able to go in and out the Domains of Dread long before 3E.
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

Dion of the Fraternity wrote:To be fair, the Vistani have always been able to go in and out the Domains of Dread long before 3E.
Wait what?! :shock:
They could come in, not go out from what I recall.
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
"I am not mad, no matter what you're implying." - Litalia
My DMGuild work!
Resonant Curse
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Resonant Curse »

Dion of the Fraternity wrote:To be fair, the Vistani have always been able to go in and out the Domains of Dread long before 3E.

I can't recall them being able to leave the Domains of Dread from any 2nd edition sources.
Jester of the FoS

Resonant Curse wrote:

I can't recall them being able to leave the Domains of Dread from any 2nd edition sources.
I seem to recall it hinted they could leave, even in Guide to Vistani.
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Resonant Curse wrote:Vistani can leave the Domains of Dread
That was a standard intro to The Evil Eye, and also I think Night of the Walking Dead(?) or some other 2e modules. Also mentioned in VRGttV I think.
Resonant Curse wrote:Van Richten around well before his birth
It's actually the opposite, turns out. The date of Curse of Strahd is given in the book as 735. It's Ireena and the other I6 characters that have been moved later in the timeline.
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."
Resonant Curse
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Resonant Curse »

I seem to remember the guide specifying that they are just as trapped as everyone else, they just have freer reign within the prison. Knight of the Black Rose and the Castle of the Undead pick-a-path book both made it sound like they are stuck always trying to find their way out (although the pick-a-path also had their homeland as a domain, so...)

That Ravenloft the Covenant one with the clockwork angel things had the one Vistani doing a ritual to be able to escape (which in itself was a bit troublesome for canon too)
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

More Curse of Strahd minis from GF9...

Esmerelda and Van Richten:

http://www.flamesofwar.com/gf9online_store.aspx
Chaderick
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by Chaderick »

alhoon wrote:
Wait what?! :shock:
They could come in, not go out from what I recall.
From Evil Eye:
VIEW CONTENT:
There are two reasons why Raul, a Vistana, may not be in Ravenloft at the start of the adventure. Raul may be a member of the fabled "Lost Tribe," who purportedly escaped Ravenloft, as mentioned in Van Richten's Guide to the Vistani. Alternatively, Raul may simply have fled Ravenloft using the force of his grief-bolstered will, combined with his natural Vistani talents for traversing the Mists. Raul's background depends on whether or not the DM wants the Vistani to play a permanent role in his regular campaign.
Should the DM wish to keep the Vistani strictly in Ravenloft, or if the heroes are already within the misty confines when the adventure begins, then Raul is a member of the Kamii tribe, renowned throughout the demiplane for their smithing skills. Regardless of this tribal affiliation, however, he has left his extended family and friends to travel on his own, with only his infant child, Nikko, for company.
So, there are options available for vistani leaving, as well as coming.