CONFIRMED: Ravenloft for 5th Edition

Discussing all things Ravenloft
Zilfer
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: CONFIRMED: Ravenloft for 5th Edition

Post by Zilfer »

alhoon wrote:
Zilfer wrote:they are currently investigating wizard of wines that immediately lead them to a ritual on Yester Hill, and now they have the giant creature breading down towards the wizard of wine that they have to stop next session.
Did you use Strahd in the ritual as the material suggests? Cause it's insanely crazy to have Strahd, 5 druids and 6 berserkers fighting a 6th lvl party. Strahd could wipe them out by himself at that point IMO. On the other hand... 5 druids and 6 berserkers widely spaced are piecemeal for 6th lvl PCs. Such a party could easily kill a druid per round and turn the ritual to a chasing match that the druids cannot win, even if you throw in the blights. Of course... by round 10 they will be joined by a CR7 tree...
Yep they had yet to fight strahd at any point, and he was content to watch the ritual complete itself in his name. The group surprisingly decided to approach, and Strahd greeted them amically enough noting Ireena for some reason was not with them, and then he warned them not to interfere with the ritual for it would be their next "Test". At this point the one of the party members attempted to get close and interfere and Strahd + Legendary actions ended up leaving said person at near 0 HP at the end of the second round? When he still tried pressing the attack Strahd finished him, Followed by another party member that wouldn't back down after a friend had fallen. "Winter Splinter" then woke up and proceeded towards the Wizards of Wine as Strahd saddled up his nightmare and taking off leaving the two dead companions behind as reminders of what happens to those who disobey. He's looking forward to see how they do with this new "test" now they are down two people.

The rest of the living party looked at the druids and barbarians whose attention were now turning their way with their ritual done. This made the party flee in the direction of Winter Splinter, and leave their two companions who were bitten to death behind in the snow. (I'm thinking Vampire spawn return of old characters here! Bwahahaha!)

Note: My characters are currently level 4, and there are 6 of them. :) Most of the stuff they've ran into has been rather easy, they only recently lost Ismark due to a random encounter with Dire Wolves where I rolled the maximum amount of 6. It was a close thing, they almost saved Ismark but surprisingly no one in the party really came that close to dying with no cleric. Luckily for them next time one of the players that character died is coming back to Cleric.
There's always something to lose.

Fraternity of Shadows Discord
https://discord.gg/AM6Kp95ekf
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Gonzoron of the FoS »

Of note from Gen Con: I asked the Gale Force 9 folks if the rumors of a premium version of the Tarokka deck were true, and the response was basically, "I'm supposed to say that nothing like that has been announced." Which seems to me a pretty clear winking insinuation that it's in the pipeline.
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

What's the premium version of the Tarokka deck that has never been announced?
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
"I am not mad, no matter what you're implying." - Litalia
My DMGuild work!
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

alhoon wrote:What's the premium version of the Tarokka deck that has never been announced?
That's just it. We don't know.

We know that Chuck Lukacs, the illustrator was given a large-sized copy, but that may or may not be it.
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

That's it folks, the last day of Ravenloft storyline. Tomorrow we go to Storm King storyline.
It's been a good ride, I didn't like everything (i.e. the new Strahd) but the adventure itself can very easily be broken down for parts, or simply ran under a different vampire.

While IMO it doesn't reach the quality of Out of the Abyss, it was a very nice adventure.
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
My DMGuild work!
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

SKT reviews:
A. Jester's: http://www.5mwd.com/archives/3715
"Because this superadventure is based around one small story in a larger event, there’s less resolution in this adventure. Like actually none."
I really didn't like that. Jester? Can you tell more about that? Is it really a mega-adventure that doesn't put an end to the rampaging giants? What exactly you accomplish then? You just kill a bunch of giants and the world has to hope other parties would kill another bunch?

B. http://project-nerd.com/2016/09/03/dung ... er-review/

" Included is a flowchart that describes how several chapters are connected, helping the Dungeon Master to figure out where his or her players are headed next."
Out of the Abyss could have used that... of course, the chapters are not really connected so...

"Appendix A of the tome gives intriguing plot hooks for Dungeon Masters to continue the journey from the Lost Mines of Phandelver Starter Set Adventure, Hoard of the Dragon Queen, Princes of the Apocalypse, or Out of the Abyss adventures."
:shock:
That, I have to see to believe. 15th lvl party in an adventure for 1-15th is kinda a stretch.
Except if it just connects the world and events and the PCs start with another party in the world shaped by their previous characters.
My DMGuild work!
Five
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Five »

alhoon wrote:
"Appendix A of the tome gives intriguing plot hooks for Dungeon Masters to continue the journey from the Lost Mines of Phandelver Starter Set Adventure, Hoard of the Dragon Queen, Princes of the Apocalypse, or Out of the Abyss adventures."
:shock:
That, I have to see to believe. 15th lvl party in an adventure for 1-15th is kinda a stretch.
Except if it just connects the world and events and the PCs start with another party in the world shaped by their previous characters.
You're thinking linear. Plot hooks doesn't neccessarily carry with it a specific level-based playbook...

If it does, it does. If it doesn't, it doesn't. I'm content with putting my own eyes on the content and not relying on others' interpretations. The nature of the game, to me, makes them completely irrelevant. And that includes game designers (and armchair game designers).

Sandbox D&D: nothing is written in stone.

To the point: if you like it, use it. If you don't like it, ignore it. If you like a bit of it, develop it.

The one thing that (very slightly) irks me about 5E is the follow-the-string vibe I get from their to-date releases. There's a marketing strength to it, no doubt, but there's little support for the indie or wayward DM. I don't personally require it, but I find the void a bit...queer. could just be me.
"A very piteous thing it was to see such a quantity of dead bodies, and such an outpouring of blood - that is, if they had not been enemies of the Christian faith."

- Jean Pierre Sarrasin, "The Memoirs of the Lord of Joinville"
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

Five wrote:You're thinking linear. Plot hooks doesn't neccessarily carry with it a specific level-based playbook...
I don't understand what you mean here. By the time a group finishes OotA, they are 14-15 level. SKT is designed for much lower levels. So, unless the hook to get a party starting SKT just references "if the party did X, then Y happens, if A survived then B happens", it can't be a hook to introduce the same party that finished OotA to SKT.

Five wrote: To the point: if you like it, use it. If you don't like it, ignore it. If you like a bit of it, develop it.
Yeap, that's what I do usually. I was referring to the fact that I don't think there are workable hooks to introduce a 15th level party to an adventure that's planned to start at level 4-5 or so.
My DMGuild work!
Five
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Five »

alhoon wrote:
Five wrote:You're thinking linear. Plot hooks doesn't neccessarily carry with it a specific level-based playbook...
I don't understand what you mean here. By the time a group finishes OotA, they are 14-15 level. SKT is designed for much lower levels. So, unless the hook to get a party starting SKT just references "if the party did X, then Y happens, if A survived then B happens", it can't be a hook to introduce the same party that finished OotA to SKT.

Five wrote: To the point: if you like it, use it. If you don't like it, ignore it. If you like a bit of it, develop it.
Yeap, that's what I do usually. I was referring to the fact that I don't think there are workable hooks to introduce a 15th level party to an adventure that's planned to start at level 4-5 or so.
You are assuming that the plot hooks all involve the PCs that have both finished and maxed-out levels from the previous adventures.

"Continue" might just be "adventure weave points"...for DMs and players that haven't played the previous adventures.

It could be similar to what you said and be basic injection/starting points based on certain criteria.

That, and It might not be that elaborate. It is an appendix...
"A very piteous thing it was to see such a quantity of dead bodies, and such an outpouring of blood - that is, if they had not been enemies of the Christian faith."

- Jean Pierre Sarrasin, "The Memoirs of the Lord of Joinville"
Jester of the FoS
Jester of the Dark Comedy
Jester of the Dark Comedy

Post by Jester of the FoS »

alhoon wrote:I really didn't like that. Jester? Can you tell more about that? Is it really a mega-adventure that doesn't put an end to the rampaging giants? What exactly you accomplish then? You just kill a bunch of giants and the world has to hope other parties would kill another bunch?
Kinda.
The backstory of the adventure is that the giant god broke the divine mandated giant hierarchy. But at the end of the adventure, it's not fixed. You solve some problems and do some good stuff which *might* fix things... or not. The DM is told "hey, maybe doing this causes the giant god to change their mind". But it's a stretch.
alhoon wrote:That, I have to see to believe. 15th lvl party in an adventure for 1-15th is kinda a stretch.
It gives you a way to connect them. So you start Tyranny of Dragons or Out of the Abyss or Princes of the Apocalypse and then move over to Storm King's Thunder partway through. It gives you places to shift, and how to skip the "end" of the other, while still having connecting threads.
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

Heh, so you play half the Out of the Abyss and when you had your fill with the insanity and awesome NPCs and majestic places, you jump out and messing with giants?
I... well, I kinda like it but on the opposite approach.

As for the ending: From what you say, there seems to be an ending, but the DM may take it or not. And as for the premise: The god of Giants did WHAT?! :shock: And you have a chance (DM's prerogative) to make him change his mind and put things back in order (or different kind of order)?
That's actually pretty awesome!
CLOUD GIANTS FOR THE WIN!

Can you support a different hierarchy? Put Cloud giants on the top?
My DMGuild work!
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

In traditional vampire fashion... he's not quite dead yet!

One more Curse of Strahd tie-in item has surfaced - the Dice-masters die/card set:
http://wizkids.com/dicemasters/dd-dice- ... t-weekend/