[3.x] Fixing RL prestige classes with Gestalt rules

Discussing all things Ravenloft
Skyrock
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

[3.x] Fixing RL prestige classes with Gestalt rules

Post by Skyrock »

It is probably widely recognized that the prestige classes in Ravenloft are extremely weak, and often a straight downgrade from the base class (such as the Hallowed Witch which only gains Casterlevel and rarely useable class features, but loses the main attraction of any spellcaster class, actual new and additional spells).

I just had a shower thought that might provide a quick and easy fix:
Let the prestige classes gestalt with the base class that most closely resembles them or that makes for the most logical entry point.

Some quick and badly thought out examples using the classes in Champions of Darkness (as it was the first book at hand):
- Charlatan: Rogue
- Dreamcaster: Sorcerer (or spellcasting class used to enter)
- Highway Rider: Fighter (Thug ACF)
- Manipulator: Bard or Jester
- Master of Curses: (actually already capable on its own with caster entry, and why anyone would want to enter without a caster class is beyond me)
- Mesmerist: Bard (might actually work better fluffwise as a psionic class, but that would take a major re-write)
- Moonbane: Barbarian
- Night Lord: Hexblade or Duskblade
- Propagandist: Bard (Athasian Bard ACF?)
- Scourge: Hexblade or Duskblade
- Solitary Outcast: Ranger
- Worldbreaker: Cleric (or divine spellcasting class used to enter)

This would quickly eliminate one of the great weakpoints of the RL PrCs, them often being a straight downgrade from the entry class. Now they would be guaranteed to get at least everything the base class gets, plus the extra features of the PrC (which are often IMHO more flavourful than they are useful or effective in a game).

Would it be a power-up to the game in general?
It would be, but there are still the (sometimes bafflingly steep) entry requirements, and my guess is that the RL PrCs still would be weak compared to such 3.5 evergreens as Abjurant Champion, Incantantrix or Ruby Knight Vindicator. There might still be some tweaking (or outright banning) necessary to make the RL PrCs more attractive than their general counterparts.

Thoughts?
Nun gut, es sei dir überlassen!
Zieh diesen Geist von seinem Urquell ab
Und führ ihn, kannst du ihn erfassen
Auf deinem Wege mit herab.
- Faust I