Books to be read

Discussing all things Ravenloft
Harvos
Conspirator
Conspirator

Books to be read

Post by Harvos »

I'm looking to buy some ravenloft novels, and was wondering in what order I should read them in. Any tips?
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Re: Books to be read

Post by alhoon »

Most of them don't have a specific order, they're not tied to each other. Read them in the way you prefer.
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
"I am not mad, no matter what you're implying." - Litalia
My DMGuild work!
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Gonzoron of the FoS »

Harvos wrote:I'm looking to buy some ravenloft novels, and was wondering in what order I should read them in. Any tips?
Read I, Strahd before I, Strahd the war with Azalin
Read Knight of the Black Rose before Spectre of the Black Rose
Read King of the Dead before Lord of the Necropolis
You may wish to read Tales of Ravenloft after Mordenheim, I, Strahd, Knight of the Black Rose, and Tapestry of Dark Souls and before I, Strahd: The war with Azalin and Spectre of the Black Rose. (only because there are stories in there that are written by the same authors as those books, about the same characters, but none are really direct "sequels" to the books. (one's actually a prequel))

other than that, it doesn't really matter.
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."
Cromstar
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Post by Cromstar »

I would probably recommend Vampire of the Mists prior to I, Strahd ...but that matters a lot less if you're already familiar with Ravenloft and Strahd in general.
Quinntonia
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Quinntonia »

Yeah, I have found the Ravenloft novels to be of.....mixed quality.

The good is very good but the bad can be quite bad.

I loved I, Strahd and even its sequel (not as good, but still) and even Vampire of the Mists. Oh, and Knight of the Black Rose.
High Level Games, the industry's first choice in taking your games to the next level.*

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/highlevelgames/
Twitter: @HLG_Corporate

*Corporation may not exist except in podcast form.
Lost Heretic
Criminal Mastermind
Criminal Mastermind

Post by Lost Heretic »

You can't go wrong reading them in the release order, but luckily most of the novels are actually fairly setting agnostic. Most take place in a particular domain with little interaction with other countries or impact from the Ravenloft metaplot.
Darker Days Radio - The World of Darkness Podcast
Ender
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Ender »

I might also suggest reading I, Strahd before reading Lord of the Necropolis. Though it's not necessary, there's a minor mystery left unsolved in I, Strahd that is answered in Lord of the Necropolis.
NeoTiamat
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by NeoTiamat »

Others have said enough about the order, so I'd just note that there's a handy set of reviews in the Drawing Room of the main site. My personal recommendations would be...

I, Strahd (book that got me into Ravenloft and gaming!)
Tales of Ravenloft
Sleep with Evil
Scholar of Decay

Stay away from Death of a Darklord if you value your sanity, even though it's by a big-name author.
Ravenloft GM: Eye of Anubis, Shattered City, and Prof. Lupescu's Traveling Ghost Show
Lead Writer & Editor: VRS Files: Doppelgangers; Contributor: QtR #20, #21, #22, #23, #24
Freelance Writer for Paizo Publishing
GreenWood
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Post by GreenWood »

Knight of the Black Rose and Tales of Ravenloft are my favorites. Scholar of Decay and both of the I, Strahd novels are great as well. I have read them all, I would have to say Baroness of Blood is my least favorite.
I, the Lord of the Midnight Green, now give rise to my final dream.