Quoth the Raven #22 - discussion

Discussing all things Ravenloft
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: Quoth the Raven #22 - discussion

Post by Gonzoron of the FoS »

Skyrock wrote:Huh, I didn't realize the tie-in, or even that there ever was an Endless Quest book for Ravenloft.
There were three, actually:
http://fraternityofshadows.com/wiki/Cat ... less_Quest
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

What's this?
Why I learn of its existence 17 years after I got into Ravenloft?!
It's too late now to execute people for the omission! They're already dead to power my mad schemes! And the undead I made out of them are dead at the end of adventurers' blades!

So, since I can't vent my frustration to hapless minions, can someone from the kind community tell me what "endless quests" are, about those adventures and... if they're good, if there's a chance to track them down legally?
I guess from Wikipedia and their titles that they are a kind of book where you make the choices and probably flip to certain parts or something. But D&D is too immersed in randomness to just gloss over combat and dice...
So... what are those books please?
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
"I am not mad, no matter what you're implying." - Litalia
My DMGuild work!
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Calling them "adventures" is generous. They are more like "Choose your own adventure" books, if you've ever read any of those. You read a bit, you get a choice of 2 or 3 options. Depending on the choice you make, you jump to a different page number and keep reading and repeat. Eventually you reach an ending of some kind, based on your choices.
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

Yes, but... are they good?
How do they deal with combat? Or with randomness?
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
My DMGuild work!
Skyrock
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Post by Skyrock »

Endless Quest has no system or dice rolls of any kind (as opposed to Fighting Fantasy or Lone Wolf). You just read through it.
Nun gut, es sei dir überlassen!
Zieh diesen Geist von seinem Urquell ab
Und führ ihn, kannst du ihn erfassen
Auf deinem Wege mit herab.
- Faust I
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

Well...should I look for the books? Are they even available any more?
My DMGuild work!
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

alhoon wrote:Well...should I look for the books? Are they even available any more?
They are about as available as other RL stuff from the same time. i.e. ebay, or other second-hand options are the only way you'll find them. Perhaps a bit less available than most. I don't see them come up very often, but when they do, they aren't terribly expensive. As for whether you should look for them? Honestly, I haven't even read my copies yet. I don't expect much from them. But I'll get around to them eventually.
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

Oh, I don't have ebay so they're untraceable for me.
My DMGuild work!
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

alhoon wrote:Oh, I don't have ebay so they're untraceable for me.
Well, wherever you get your other 2e-era Ravenloft stuff might have them. Just don't count on e-book versions. I doubt they'd release these as pdfs (though I could be surprised.)
Alastor
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Alastor »

Demian's Gamebook Web Page is a good source for information on these types of books, and you can often find copies for sale secondhand there as well. Searching for the three Ravenloft Endless Quest books turns up one user with a copy of Master of Ravenloft for sale - it doesn't look like Castle of the Undead or Night of the Tiger is available at the moment, but there are reviews if you want to know more about them.
Above the conquered folk,
the draconic citadel
awaits rebellion.

Not the daimon, just a namesake.
nothri
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Post by nothri »

As one of the like five people who read that old Choose Your Own Adventure back in the day, I found its inclusion and incorporation positively DELIGHTFUL. So thank you very much Mr. Daisu on that score. I've only skimmed the other domains (sorry, its just how I read these articles these days) but that one was quite excellent! Also, I think the criticism about including the vampire lord was a little....silly. It'd be like complaining that the 3rd Edition Core had a host of monsters lifted from Gothic Horror. By which I mean...yes, it did and that might have been a criticism to level at the original version of the product...but condemning an author for being faithful to the source material they are expanding upon just seems silly.
I'm just a ghost in this house.
Rock of the Fraternity
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Rock of the Fraternity »

Alastor wrote:I liked most of the articles in this year's issue of Quoth the Raven, and was particularly pleased to see Moridana, being a fan of Endless Quest and similar interactive books.

"The Brightwell Legacy" was also a good article; the focal character could be used well as either an ally or enemy, or just background as a correspondent for someone the PCs know. I was a little mislead by the title though - it sounded like we were going to get a new legacy of blood.
Thank you kindly! ^_^