Chocolate golems in ravenloft?

Discussing all things Ravenloft
jules
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Chocolate golems in ravenloft?

Post by jules »

A bit dumb, but here goes: has anyone ever made a chocolate golem for ravenloft? If not what would be coming close to it?
Brandi
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: Chocolate golems in ravenloft?

Post by Brandi »

Presumably it'd come from an Aztec/New World-type domain?
jules
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by jules »

Brandi wrote:Presumably it'd come from an Aztec/New World-type domain?
Pretty much.
KingCorn
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by KingCorn »

Could also be the result of an insane Dementleiu confectioner. He gets the coca beans from one of the those south-american-like realms from the fanbooks, and either grows obsessed or gets cursed beans.
DeepShadow of FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by DeepShadow of FoS »

Strangely, yes.

I made the mistake of introducing the Vistani House of Mists attraction as allowing you to name any creature you want to fight.

One PC stepped up and asked to fight chocolate lawn gnomes. He was hoping to play Godzilla and blow off a little steam.
The Avariel has borrowed wings,
The Puppeteer must cut the strings
The Orphan Queen must take the throne
The Queen of Orphans calls them home
The Lesser Evil
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by The Lesser Evil »

Not ravenloft specific, but there was a 2E April's Fools Dragon magazine article (#228) "Dragon's Worstiary: Golems" that contained a writeup for a chocolate golem (along with a plush golem and a chia golem). In addition to a combat capable chocolate golem, the article stipulated the existence of 1 HD, harmless "party golems" that are commissioned at great cost by royals for their children's parties.
Manofevil
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Manofevil »

This reminds me of an episode of 'Bones' where a confectionery makes a giant bar of chocolate which splits open when the mold is removed revealing a corpse inside. It would be a good place to start.
Do us a favor Luv, Stick yer 'ead in a bucket a kick it!

So, gentlemen, that's how it is. Until Grissome.... resurfaces, I'm the acting president, and I say starting with this... anniversary festival, we run this city into the ground! :D
KingCorn
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by KingCorn »

This calls for a short module: "Blood and Chocolate".
And it should in no way resemble that magicalrealms adventure "Blood in the Chocolate"
jules
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by jules »

Any new thoughts on the subject?
Resonant Curse
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Resonant Curse »

I would imagine reskinning an earth elemental maybe with reduced hardness/natural armor. Depending on the type.of chocolate desired and I guess how you want it to interact with heat you could also add in a pudding/ooze alternate form for of they try to melt it and it stays active as a surprise.
brothersale
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by brothersale »

Alternatively i have found a wonderfully weird domain that fills anyones need for sweets on the DM Guild, Confectnia by no fun allowed. You should also be able to get chocolate golems from Monsters of the Candymancer by Erik Fry also on Dm Guild
All great movements require a few martyrs... -Moebius (soulreaver 2)
Mephisto of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Mephisto of the FoS »

I just made this 3e template, making the chocolate golem a surprisingly lethal creature if turned to melted chocolate form by fire/heat spells.
I combined it with the one from Dragon magazine article mentioned earlier by Anne Brown.

Two types are known: Solid and hollow. Bittersweet, milk, or even white or flavored chocolate may be used in construction. The hollow chocolate golem requires at least 500 Ibs. of the finest quality chocolate. The chocolate may be poured into a specially created mold or may be sculpted and the middle hollowed out. Making the solid chocolate golem requires at least a 1,000 lb. block of fine chocolate. The golem is then sculpted from the single block. Either golem may be embellished with edible paints, frosting, or small candies. chocolate golems are found in many shape,s including giant rabbits, chicks, dragons, reindeer, scarecrows, humans, humanoids, vampires, and other fantastic creatures.

Chocolate Golem (Solid)
Size/Type: Large Construct
Hit Dice: 8d8+32 (68 hp)
Initiative: -1
Speed: 20 ft. (4 squares) or 30 ft. (melted form)
Armor Class: 15 (-1 size, -1 Dex, +7 natural), touch 8, flat-footed 15 or 17 (-1 size, +2 Dex, +10 natural), touch 10, flt-footed 17 (in melted form)
Base Attack/Grapple: +5/+16
Attack: Slam +11 melee (2d8+6), +1d6 (heat damage in melted form)
Full Attack: 2 slams +11 melee (2d8+6), +1d6 (heat damage in melted form)
Space/Reach: 10 ft./10 ft.
Special Attacks: Melted form attacks (engulf, heat)
Special Qualities: Construct traits, damage reduction 10/ bludgeoning, immunity to piercing weapons, Immune to fire, darkvision 60 ft., low-light vision, fire pseudo-vulnerability, melted form (see below), poisonous to canines, cold spell hardness and vulnerability (see below)
Saves: Fort +3, Ref +2, Will +3
Abilities: Str 23, Dex 9 (13), Con Ø, Int Ø, Wis 11, Cha 1
Skills:
Feats:
Environment: Urban
Organization: Solitary or gang (2-4)
Challenge Rating: 7
Treasure: None
Alignment: Always neutral
Advancement: 9-18 HD (Large); 19-27 HD (Huge)
Level Adjustment:

Combat

Cold Spell Hardness (Ex): When a cold spell is cast against a chocolate golem it's armor class improves by +2

Fire Pseudo-vulnerability (Ex): When a chocolate golem is hit by a fire based attack (torch, flaming sword etc.), the part of the golem that is hit melts, seemingly damaging the creature, that part reforms and cools down in 1d4 rounds. If any of its melee attacking parts are hit by a fire based attack then the next successful melee attack with that member does an extra 1d6 heat damage. This sometimes is misinterpreted as a vulnerability to fire, which can lead to disaster.

Melted Form (Ex): When a chocolate golem is attacked by a fire spell or similar massive heat based effect (e.g. if thrown inside a heated cauldron) it turns to melted form by the heat seemingly destroyed. The golem stays in this state for 2d4+4 rounds, before reverting to its normal form and cooling off. While in this form the golem may be more lethal as it can engulf it's opponents and exceeds heat. On it's first attack it is able to surprise it's opponents who believe they have destroyed it. While in this form the golem is an unstoppable enemy as it's movement becomes 30 ft. and it's slam attacks are heat based doing an extra 1d6 damage, On its first 2 melted form rounds it can also pass through cracks and under doors. In this form it's damage reduction applies to bludgeoning weapons too, making it harder to be damaged as it's liquid body is more resistant to melee attacks. Cold spells are more dangerous to a golem in this form they reduce the cooling time of a chocolate golem's melted form by 1d4+1 rounds, if this roll exceeds the remaining cooling time it needed then the golem is transfixed in an amorphous chocolate mass permanently until another fire based attack turns it to liquid form again or is destroyed. While in this state the golem permanently suffers similar effects as if under a slow spell, having a dysfunctional amorphous body that hindrances movement and attacks.

Engulf (Ex): A chocolate golem in melted form can attempt to mow down any opponent that is at least one size category smaller than itself. Opponents are entitled to an attack of opportunity against the golem, but if they do so , they re not entitled to a saving throw to avoid being engulfed. Those who do not make attacks of opportunity must make a DC 16 Reflex save or be engulfed. Engulfed creatures are slowly chocked to death as massive amounts of chocolate enter the victim's mouth and entrails, the creature chocked this way must make a DC 10 Constitution check every round in order to continue holding it's breath. Attacks against the elemental have a chance to hit the engulfed creature as well, dividing damage evenly between the chocolate golem and the creature. The chance is 50% if the elemental is one category size larger than the creature, 10% if the chocolate golem is two sizes larger than the engulfed creature and 0% if the golem is three categories larger or more. While a creature is engulfed by a chocolate elemental it suffers 1d6 heat damage each round as well. If a chocolate golem is attacked by a cold spell while engulfing an opponent the engulfed creature is instantly slain as the chocolate dilates and expands within the engulfed creatures entrails.

Poisonous to Canines (Ex): Canine creatures who are engulfed by a chocolate golem must also roll a Fortitude check DC 18 each round they are engulfed or suffer a 2d6 Con initial damage and 1d6 Con + 1d6 Str secondary damage, from the massive quality of chocolate in their system.

Chocolate Golem (Hollow)
Hollow chocolate Golems have the same stats as a solid one with the three exceptions, they have a Strength score of 20, they take double damage from bludgeoning weapons and some are filled with fruit-flavored liqueur, whipped cream, peanut butter, or marshmallow. The cost and time for a filled hollow chocolate golem is at least the same as that of a solid one, depending on the filling being used.

Breath Weapon (Su): Approximately 25% of hollow chocolate golems also have a breath weapon of sorts. The golem can spew forth one gallon of filling every three rounds until its supply (typically 1d6 +6 gallons of filling) is exhausted. A golem’s breath weapon covers a 20-foot cone. The golem’s spray causes no damage but it has an effect on the the target depending on the filling being used. The saving throw against the breath weapon's effect and duration depend on it's filling. The golem can't use this power while in a melted form state.

Hollow Golem Fillng_____ Effect

Fruit-flavored liqueur: __ Intoxicated, Fortitude save DC 18 or be affected as under a Confusion spell for 1d4 rounds, no saving throw
Whipped cream:_________ Slippery floor, Grease spell for 1d4+4 rounds, Dexterity save
Peanut butter: __________ Blinded, creatures affected for 1d4 rounds, no saving throw
Marshmallow:___________ Sticky, lasts for 1d4X10min as the Web spell effect Reflex save DC 18

Additional Chocolate Golem Powers:
A chocolate golem with sculpted wings may have the power to fly

Flight (Ex): A chocolate golem with this ability can cease or resume flight (poor) as a free action, it's movement is 20 ft.
Last edited by Mephisto of the FoS on Sun Jun 13, 2021 1:59 pm, edited 19 times in total.
"I am not omniscient, but I know a lot."
-Mephistopheles from Faust by Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Mephisto of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Mephisto of the FoS »

I would definitely place it in Lamordia being both more golem themed domain but also similar to Switzerlandbut could fit in any Renaissance CL domain.

I thought of some uses for the chocolate golem...

Imagine an avenging chef/creator serving it in liquid form in a massive hot "muche chocolat" filled cauldron and the golem then begins to attack everone in the banquet/ball.

Or the golem is reformed in the formed to a massive chocolate wedding cake by a jealous rival to the groom and placed on purpose close to a fireplace. The cake gets "accidentally" thrown in the fireplace, melts and the melted form chocolate golem attacks the groom!

Massive chocolate bunny attacking children. :mrgreen:

Chef contest gone wrong after an obsessed chef make a dark bargain to win. :lucas:

Chocolate golems confronted in one of the stories in the Tome of Terror

Ivan Dilisnya a lover of good food who has lost his sense of taste and now everything tastes like ash in his mouth gives more attention in how a food looks. A rival, avenger, servant creates a large chocolate statue of Ivan, actually a chocolate golem to murder him using his big ego.
"I am not omniscient, but I know a lot."
-Mephistopheles from Faust by Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
yaoihuntressearth
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by yaoihuntressearth »

I could see the humor of such a thing in the Amber Wastes and how long it would last.
Baron Von Stanton
Criminal Mastermind
Criminal Mastermind

Post by Baron Von Stanton »

My only quibble with Mephisto's wonderful creation is to point out that chocolate isn't so much poisonous to canines as it's poisonous to all mammals but rodents and primates, as cacao trees evolved an alkalloid copy of a brain hormone, "theobromine," to discourage animals from eating their seeds. If too much theobromine accumulates in the body, which is fairly quickly, it causes euphoria, headache, lethargy, coma and, organ failure. Primates and rodents can tolerate theobromine because they have enzymes which break down theobromine at a much, much faster rate, so that they're less likely to see symptoms more severe than headache.