[Kobold Press] [PFRPG] Shadows of the Dusk Queen

Discussing all things Ravenloft
The Giamarga
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

[Kobold Press] [PFRPG] Shadows of the Dusk Queen

Post by The Giamarga »

check out the reviews here.

A faerie tale gone wrong set in a shadowy forest. Should be fittable into RL.
kottakinge
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: [Kobold Press] [PFRPG] Shadows of the Dusk Queen

Post by kottakinge »

Thanks Giamarga, i just command it on Amzon.
My players are in Tepest, will do a review on this module soon.
kottakinge
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by kottakinge »

I read it, that sucks, keep your money.
Area 1 fight creature A, area 2 fight creature B, etc ...
Definitely not a Ravenloft module.
Joël of the FoS

Post by Joël of the FoS »

* spoilers *

I have it, and didn't think it was that bad. The PDF is about 4 $ IIRC.

Yes, it is a one room one monster kind of adventure, but this forest fey place is quite eerie and creepy. If you trim through the monsters (remove the dragon!), the place is cool as an evil fey den.

The "mirror shards to collect" adventure isn't top, but if you keep the map, and add your own adventure to it (where they have to go there for a reason in your campaign), it's salvageable and OK.

Joël
"A full set of (game) rules is so massively complicated that the only time they were all bound together in a single volume, they underwent gravitational collapse and became a black hole" (Adams)
kottakinge
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by kottakinge »

Hi Joel.
When i bought an adventure i bought the book not the pdf, especially this one has pretty good illustrations in it.
I'm now convinced that when it's commercial it's for the masses (so dumb, most of the time) unlike the fans book made here (try "a calling to Verbrek" a real masterpiece) !
The book version was about 15€, i guess you could find better adventure for this price (ok with poorer illustrations)!
Joël of the FoS

kottakinge wrote:Hi Joel.
When i bought an adventure i bought the book not the pdf, especially this one has pretty good illustrations in it.
I'm now convinced that when it's commercial it's for the masses (so dumb, most of the time) unlike the fans book made here (try "a calling to Verbrek" a real masterpiece) !
The book version was about 15€, i guess you could find better adventure for this price (ok with poorer illustrations)!
Agreed that 15 Euro is expansive for this.
"A full set of (game) rules is so massively complicated that the only time they were all bound together in a single volume, they underwent gravitational collapse and became a black hole" (Adams)
The Giamarga
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by The Giamarga »

Kottakinge, sorry to hear that. I think if you'll sell it on ebay you would probably get at least 10€, maybe even cover price if you include postage...
kottakinge
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by kottakinge »

The Giamarga wrote:Kottakinge, sorry to hear that. I think if you'll sell it on ebay you would probably get at least 10€, maybe even cover price if you include postage...
No problem, i'm just disappointed not finding a good module suitable for RL (i'm getting old and no time to think of a whole adventure so buying one was a good option).
As Joel said maybe with a lot of tweaking it could be usable.
Still have "Dark tales and disturbing legends", "Castle Forlorn" and "Bleak house" to run one of this day :D

For Castle Forlorn there is a looot of reading for the DM though.
Joël of the FoS

The pathfinder adventure Harrowstone (1st of Carrion Crown adventure path) was great, by the way. The rest of Carrion Crown also had its good moments, salvageable for Ravenloft.

Joël
Ryan Naylor
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Ryan Naylor »

You've just reminded me I never finished my adventure log of Carrion Crown.

I actually came in here though to say that Castle Forlorn is an excellent, excellent adventure and one of the most fun things I've run. Well worth the effort of reading.
Joël of the FoS

Ryan Naylor wrote:You've just reminded me I never finished my adventure log of Carrion Crown.
Having pilfered a lot from CC for my game (and added Rasputin into the mix), I'd be curious to see what you used from CC, and how.
I actually came in here though to say that Castle Forlorn is an excellent, excellent adventure and one of the most fun things I've run. Well worth the effort of reading.

This CF adventure journal too, I'd be very curious to read. To me CF is a very complex tale, and I'm not sure my players would get it all. But we had a blast playing/DMing Curse of Ashington Manor from DT&DL, also based on time shifts between eras, so I can see this could be fun.

Joël
kottakinge
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by kottakinge »

Joel,
If you had to run shadows of the dusk queen , what creature should replace the dragon to make the adventure more Ravenloftish?
kottakinge
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by kottakinge »

I finally run it, my pc are on their way to the final encounter.
I managed to include it easily to my campaign in Tepest (a sequel to the adventure servants of darkness which involves some fey).
I replaced the drake by big bad shadows.
The adventure is very 'railroaded' aka like a videogame but is okay enough.
Joel i nearly translate all the adventure to French with some tweakings if you're interested i can send you by email.
Joël of the FoS

Yes, of course :)

Overall, was it fun?
kottakinge
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by kottakinge »

Spolier alert if you plan to play the adventure one day.
VIEW CONTENT:
Well, my pc love the story behind the fey queen because i made a connection between her and the shadow court (Loth and her sister Maeve).
Also this tiny domain is included in Tepest but has a connection with the shadow rift (in the module the area where live the shadow drake lead to the plane of shadow, IMC it leads to the rift).
In fact the rule of this fey queen took place a long time ago in Tepest's history during the reign of the axe Lords.
The Sun lord that betray her was one of those Axe Lord.
The event that awoke the fey queen was the death of Laveeda (one of the 3 sisters of Tepest) by my PCs.
As the power of the sisters was weaken then the tiny domain appeared again in Tepest with a brand new darklord ready to rule again should the others sisters perished.
Then came my Pcs ...

My Pcs love the story because i made a lot of rewriting and it fits well in Tepest (the story is very basic in the module).
There was some good moments too but in my opinion this a bit too 'fantasy' for a RL campaign.
The final confrontation with the fey and his senechal should be fun either.