spooky mp3!

Discussing all things Ravenloft
Joël of the FoS

spooky mp3!

Post by Joël of the FoS »

I just noticed Stephen did put a new mp3 on the site - see the new un-spooky home page for the link. It's presented by Alex Pinto (aka Ail here).

Hear it and let him know of what you think!

---

Then it made us realise there have never been a spooky sound vault in the usual Ravenloft sites we go to. Do you think a mp3 section on the site would help?

For copyright reasons you all know, we can't host stuff made by third party without their accord. It has to be fan-made. But since Ravenloftians are well known for their creativity, who would throw in some audio material?

Joël
"A full set of (game) rules is so massively complicated that the only time they were all bound together in a single volume, they underwent gravitational collapse and became a black hole" (Adams)
steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by steveflam »

I think spooky mp3's would be great, as some of us use music for our games. It really helps the atmosphere, and with low candlelight and darkness the right music really makes the campaign work. Good point there Joel :D
Lost Heretic
Criminal Mastermind
Criminal Mastermind

Post by Lost Heretic »

Time for me to start whoring garage band!
HuManBing
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by HuManBing »

This is a good mp3 - many thanks to Ail for posting it!
Ail
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Ail »

Thanks, Humanbing.

Actually, this is an idea I've had quite a long time ago, but I only found how to record recently. There was a time when I had made a similar piece for my session and I had it play during the first Powers Check my players did. It did add quite a mood. Unfortunately, that piece was lost, so I decided to improvise a new one (unfortunately, this is not a studied composition, as I don't have many ideas about it and not much time and will to do it). But, that said, I think it turned out rather well.

I'm curious to know what people think is the mood it conveys. At first, I wanted it to be scary and mood setting, but after listening to it some times, I came to find it tragic instead. What are your thoughts?

I'd welcome your input, and even if sufficient people liked it, I might try to make a new one.

Alex
Zumba d'Oxossi (A Stitch in Souragne)
Brother Eustace (The Devil's Dreams)
Robert de Moureaux (A New Barovia)
Ail
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Ail »

Hmmm... no more opinions?

Please?...

...Pretty please?...

... with sugar on top?

Alex
HuManBing
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by HuManBing »

Yes, I'd definitely go with tragic over spooky on this one. It's more of a lament for something lost, than a brooding threat waiting to show itself.
HuManBing
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by HuManBing »

Just listening to a few pieces of music and found a band that I liked, and thought it would be good for Ravenloft.

Dead Can Dance. Summoning of the Music - definitely one to play when the big bad guy makes his way into the light to challenge the PCs, preferably in a cathedral! An epic-sounding strings and drums piece, with a dramatic tolling of bells in the background. 4m55s, which may be a little short.

Chant of the Paladin - actually rather exotic and slightly Arabic in flavor. Like most DCD music, features repeated mystic-sounding syllables that don't derive from any language.

The End of Words - a capella glossolalia singing with only the occasional tolling bell in the background. Very evocative of monastic surroundings.

The Host of Seraphim - a lone ragged female voice features above a glowing (or glowering?) instrumental backing in this piece. Good for showing a battlefield the morning after, as priests set about putting the fallen to their final rest.

Danny Elfman - Heroes of Might and Magic III Evil Theme - harpsichord and pizzicatto strings makes this an ascending (but brief) track useful for introducing a villain... or perhaps revealing his handiwork, if the PCs aren't fast enough to catch him. 1m33s.

John Barry - The Beyondness of Things The Day The Earth Stood Still - a slow mournful panorama, suitable for wastelands or rainsoaked border outposts. Occasional flourishes and dips into major chords reinforce the waiting, waiting nature of this piece of music.

Vangelis - Blade Runner soundtrack. Rachel's Song - a song for the innocents out there. A misty synthesized piece redolent of waterdrops in the distance, with a pure female singer's voice in the foreground.

Cusco. Erosion - a song evocative of gentle but determined change, on a tectonic scale. Good for trekking through forests, with a slight tragic or eerie feel to it.

Loreena McKennitt. The Mummers Dance - you've likely heard this song before without realizing it. It has lyrics, but they're soft and choric enough that your players might not notice. Definitely a forest/glade feel to it, with just enough mystique to keep them guessing. Good for anywhere near the Shadow Rift.

Princess Mononoke. Requiem - another film-set piece, slow-moving and evoking a shattered landscape seen in the cold light of morning.

Philip Glass. The Hours soundtrack - very emotive instrumental pieces from this movie, each good for preserving the fragile air of desperation in Ravenloft.

Anybody have any others?
midnightcat
Criminal Mastermind
Criminal Mastermind

Post by midnightcat »

I would love to have Mp3 have spooky nature sounds. Even stuff like the sounds of the coast and the fog horn for Mordentshire. Sounds of woods for spooky woods. I doubt anyone remembers the old Disney sound effects records, like that but more normal. Not the over the top sound effects we get on modern Halloween CDs.
Catman Jim
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Catman Jim »

midnightcat wrote: I doubt anyone remembers the old Disney sound effects records, like that but more normal.
Oh, no, I still have some, but I no longer have a turntable to play them on. :oops:
Morigetsu
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by Morigetsu »

Actually, there's a really good group I know of that would definitely set the moods right for the roleplays. The group is called Midnight Syndicate and I have some of their music. Evokes lots of intrigue and excitement.
Snake
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Snake »

OK, forgive me for being blind, but where is this download? I can't find it on the main site.
Forgotten Son of Lord Vasili
Ail
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Ail »

I think it is in the mausoleum. You can also find the link in the news section of this site (for the time being). The direct link is this:

http://www.fraternityofshadows.com/Maus ... vedOne.mp3

Alex
Snake
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Snake »

Thanks Ail. I love it, I love it, I want more of it.
Forgotten Son of Lord Vasili
Ail
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Ail »

Glad to know that, Snake :-) Unfortunately, I'm still looking for inspiration for more.

Alex